Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,741,233 times

Advertisements

[quote=Spot;8753175]Arizona is #50!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you get that? Arizona is dead last! The very bottom! This isn't about "throwing" money at the problem! This is about a criminally underfunded public school system. This is about schools (like Sunnyside) that have a 23% graduation rate! Even the best schools in Tucson, such as Catalina Foothills, would be considered marginal in most communities that actually fund their schools.

Yep, I guessed right, your a liberal.
But fear not, the Obama-nation will fix everything
By the way, what is the graduation rate at Calalina Foothills, CDO or Ironwood Ridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM

SPOT "then you just aren't being honest with the guy who is thinking about moving here. And people should know what they are getting into."

Hey, I was honest with the guy, I told him to move to Oro Valley!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 57,815 times
Thanks for the input. I am a female in my early 40’s with no children so schools aren’t that important to me. I’m out of work NOW and I need to work but most importantly I WANT to work. The Project Management jobs here in the Denver area are geared toward IT positions and that’s not what my background is. If the unemployment rate was lower, then maybe a firm would take a chance on me but when firms have the pick of the litter so to speak I am finding it difficult.

I’d like to expand on my above comment about schools not being important to me because some will take offence to it. I do think schools are important and will eventually affect how home prices rise or fall. An educated society is one of the most important legacies we can leave. But as I stated above, I need to work now. I don’t have to base my relocation choice on school districts and such. My goal is to find a position I am well suited for, live in an area that I can tolerate, and contribute to society.

I’ve done research for the San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, and Albuquerque areas and these areas “seem” to offer jobs that fall within my skill set. As a Project Manager, it’s not necessary for me to actually be on the production floor – I make sure that the project stays on track meaning budget, scope, and time. So if the actual parts are made out of state/country that doesn’t mean there aren’t domestic jobs for me.

I’m really not asking for much.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,322,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me in Oro Valley View Post

Yep, I guessed right, your a liberal.
But fear not, the Obama-nation will fix everything
By the way, what is the graduation rate at Calalina Foothills, CDO or Ironwood Ridge?
Yes, if being a "liberal" means that I support funding public education then I suppose that I am.

As for you comment on Catalina Foothills, CDO, Ironwood Ridge, etc... These schools would be considered marginal in communities that actually fund their school systems. That's the part that many people in Tucson don't understand. A "good" school in Tucson is a slightly "below average" school in most other states. Being #50 for education actually means something. Sorry you don't get that...

Oro Valley is by and large populated by retired conservatives who only want to pay taxes for the road from their house to the Walgreens. There is no culture there, no history, no arts, no infrastructure, etc... It's a completely bland community filled with stucco McMansions that are built so close together that you can't even lay down in between them. It's filled with people that loved Bush and hate Obama. Those types of people will never let a fact get in the way of their opinions.

My advice, avoid Oro Valley at all costs!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromcolorado View Post
Thanks for the input. I am a female in my early 40’s with no children so schools aren’t that important to me. I’m out of work NOW and I need to work but most importantly I WANT to work. The Project Management jobs here in the Denver area are geared toward IT positions and that’s not what my background is. If the unemployment rate was lower, then maybe a firm would take a chance on me but when firms have the pick of the litter so to speak I am finding it difficult.

I’d like to expand on my above comment about schools not being important to me because some will take offence to it. I do think schools are important and will eventually affect how home prices rise or fall. An educated society is one of the most important legacies we can leave. But as I stated above, I need to work now. I don’t have to base my relocation choice on school districts and such. My goal is to find a position I am well suited for, live in an area that I can tolerate, and contribute to society.

I’ve done research for the San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, and Albuquerque areas and these areas “seem” to offer jobs that fall within my skill set. As a Project Manager, it’s not necessary for me to actually be on the production floor – I make sure that the project stays on track meaning budget, scope, and time. So if the actual parts are made out of state/country that doesn’t mean there aren’t domestic jobs for me.

I’m really not asking for much.

One of the strongest markets for young professionals in the US is in Denver right now. If you think things are bad there, you aren't going to like Tucson much. Don't let the kool aid drinking neoconservative nutcases that post on this board defending all things Arizona confuse you. Arizona is not a good place to be moving to right now. We have a hyperconservative legislature that only believes in cutting spending as a solution to the deficit. Despite having one of the lowest overall tax rates in the US, they refuse to raise taxes to cover the state's budget shortfalls (which are massive). We really are #50 for school funding now and that translates into the only growing industry in Tucson being call centers. If making $8.50 an hour is your thing, Tucson is perfect.

People keep mentioning Raytheon on this board. Well, the CEO of Raytheon was speaking at the University of Arizona recently and he said that with the cuts to education here in AZ Raytheon is reconsidering their future here. He said they can't find qualified people who want to live here. There are no plans to expand their operations in Southern Arizona and in fact they will be shrinking their plant here over the next few years. They are expanding their facilities in Alabama, Denver and Boston. And Raytheon is the ONLY large private employer in this region. So when they pull out, Tucson will start to look like Flint Michigan.

Phoenix is a little better for professional opportunities. San Diego is also better. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Oro Valley is by and large populated by retired conservatives - Those types of people will never let a fact get in the way of their opinions.

News flash, average age in Oro Valley is 46,

Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me in Oro Valley View Post
News flash, average age in Oro Valley is 46,
46 is the average age you say?

I guess I forgot about all the low income clerks at WalMart that live to collect shopping carts in the parking lot. I suppose the numerous big box employees probably do offset the huge population of 60+ that live up there. 20 year old cashiers + 70 year old drug store clients = mean age of 46. Got it!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
46 is the average age you say?

I guess I forgot about all the low income clerks at WalMart that live to collect shopping carts in the parking lot. I suppose the numerous big box employees probably do offset the huge population of 60+ that live up there. 20 year old cashiers + 70 year old drug store clients = mean age of 46. Got it!
I guess they pay those clerks in our ONE Walmart pretty well.
Oro Valley Avg Income 73,000, not that I say, but Citi Data
"Talk is cheap, information is priceless"

http://www.city-data.com/city/Oro-Valley-Arizona.html

Hey Spot, I gotta run, enjoyed our chat. But I have a 2 oclock tee time at one of the ten golf courses withing 20 minutes of my house. And no I am not retired, this is customer golf, yep I am working. Tax deductable golf, I love this country!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,566,298 times
Quote:
I guess I forgot about all the low income clerks at WalMart that live to collect shopping carts in the parking lot. I suppose the numerous big box employees probably do offset the huge population of 60+ that live up there.
As if Tucson is the only city with that kind of job. You think they pay the Walmart employees that collect shopping carts big time salaries in other cities?

And for age:

Age characteristics (2000)
Population under 5 years old: 35,201
Population 5 to 9 years old: 34,189
Population 10 to 14 years old: 31,939
Population 15 to 19 years old: 38,170
Population 20 to 24 years old: 47,428
Population 25 to 34 years old: 76,394
Population 35 to 44 years old: 72,289
Population 45 to 54 years old: 57,608
Population 55 to 59 years old: 19,597
Population 60 to 64 years old: 16,056
Population 65 to 74 years old: 29,117
Population 75 to 84 years old: 21,394
>Population 85 years and older: 7,317
Median age: 32.1 years

Yea, I guess the 60+ age group dominates

and many do not graduate High School....

[LEFT]For population 25 years and over in Tucson[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 80.4%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 22.9%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 9.0%
  • Unemployed: 5.9%
  • Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
Lets compare this to, say Chicago.....

[LEFT]For population 25 years and over in Chicago[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 71.8%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.5%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 10.0%
  • Unemployed: 10.1%
  • Mean travel time to work: 35.2 minutes
Wait, Tucson has more High School graduates, more Graduate or Professionals, lower mean travel time to work? How can that be Spot, since what you say is different?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,976,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Wait, Tucson has more High School graduates, more Graduate or Professionals, lower mean travel time to work? How can that be Spot, since what you say is different?
I find this humorous considering the town you want to *leave* spanks anything Tucson offers.

[LEFT] For population 25 years and over in Wheaton[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 94.4%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 57.3%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 22.0%
  • Unemployed: 3.5%
  • Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
Guess those numbers really aren't that important to you after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson