Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Well put. He pretty much nailed Tucson to the "T". Especially the stuck on stupid comment.

The people that want to move here it seems are retirees that want nothing to do with the snow, ever. And that's fine, but I don't like it when they sugar coat it to try to justify their own decisions to move here. Tucson is what it is. It's a hole. It has it's nice parts, but the major problems (the previous mentioned civil engineering nightmares, the lack of intelligence - both from the illegal immigrant influx and the lack of decent schools here, the job market, the asinine real estate pricing, and the crime) all make this a place to avoid. If you like to golf, live on a county club, and don't go out doors during the day for 9 months out of the year, then Tucson is for you. If not ....
Mudd is right that Tucson is very favorable for the active senior 55 and up. Lots of country clubs, lots of shopping centers, and nice eateries.

However, for a young guy like myself, Daniel's last paragraph about the jobs is right on. Why do we have so many call centers in this town? Nobody in the right mind would EVER want to work there even if it is the only jobs left (which it is). Sure we have a good infrastructure of phone systems to support these places and they never shut down for a major weather event like snow or tornadoes, but NOBODY wants to work at these places (even if the pay is considerable). Like many call centers in the United States, they lack morals. However if you area young guy between the age of 0-21 or 22, Tucson is a good place to grow up.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,854 times
I can't argue about this because I don't live there yet. But from my research and the contacts that I have already made there, it seems to me that there are some good jobs there. However, if you do not have anything to offer, call centers may be one of the few options. I am a Test Engineer in product development with 27 yrs experience. I think that if I moved today I would easily have a few interviews set up before I got there.

I have been hearing that jobs are inpossible to find here now, Chicago area, but without even looking I recently have had offers for interviews. And these were unsolicited. If I were looking I don't see that it would be difficult to get more.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,994 times
Default Don't do it

Sik- DON'T DO IT!!!! Do not move here. I moved here from Colorado with a full head of steam and an open mind. The problem was I thought the people of Colorado were the norm. Not even close. I am so disappointed in the people here. Every night there is police helicopters chasing idiots around. I'm leaving Tucson as soon as I can. This move here has been the worst mistake. I would be shocked if you ever heard anyone who moved to Colorado say that.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
I think that if I moved today I would easily have a few interviews set up before I got there.
So what's holding you back?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,269 times
Fwiw, I've lived in both Denver and Tucson, and my clear preference is Tucson, though I liked Denver too.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,360 times
We visited Tucson this past summer. We had no trouble finding our way around. We actually sat at traffic lights for far less time than we do in cities back east. The gas prices at that time were running 20-30 cents less a gallon than what we were paying in Maine, Mass or VA. We live in a small town with about 5000 year round residents and there are times you could not get me to walk to the corner store after dark. We have yet to go anywhere where we have not seen tagging.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,854 times
Quote:
Sik- DON'T DO IT!!!! Do not move here. I moved here from Colorado with a full head of steam and an open mind. The problem was I thought the people of Colorado were the norm. Not even close. I am so disappointed in the people here. Every night there is police helicopters chasing idiots around. I'm leaving Tucson as soon as I can. This move here has been the worst mistake. I would be shocked if you ever heard anyone who moved to Colorado say that.
backtoColoradoASAP, I'm just couious, in what part of Tucson do you live?

Maybe when we visited we were there when all of the "bad guys" were on vacation. We stayed in a hotel just off of I10 on Ina Rd. and saw nothing like you and some others stated. We found that just about everybody there was very friendly. From what we experienced I think it would be very difficult to keep from making friends there. We were out from about 8 AM to 11:00 ish every day exploring and also looked at some homes. We didn't go into South Tucson however.

I won't say that we didn't see any areas that were "unsafe looking" but for the most part we liked most of Tucson. We didn't have the time to look at Marana or Oro Valley. Since we are likely stuck here in IL for another 1-2 yrs, we are talking about visiting Tucson again.

I have been researching Tucson for over 3 yrs now and haven''t found anything to keep us from moving. Now that it is beginning to get cold here again we are wishing that we could have moved this last spring like we had planned.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandoval View Post
Your calling Tucson a bicycle friendly city. You have people getting run over all the time at city intersections in Tucson. Pedestrians run a serious risk of getting hit by a car whether on bicycle or on foot in Tucson, Arizona.

Tucson is primarily a GHETTO city and that is fact. Yes there are some nice areas in the North and Northwest of Tucson. Maybe if you grew up in Tucson and you went to a TUSD or Sunnyside USD School or Schools you would not see Tucson as a GHETTO city.

Alot of you people in Tucson are flat out in Denial. Your city has been all tagged up by the gangsters. You also have gangsters who have taken over much of the city. The Tucson Police Department and the other forms of government cannot control the gangs in Tucson.

Tucson has outgrown itself. Tucson is slowly becoming like alot of those really bad cities in New Mexico like Albq, Hobbs, Roswell ,Las Vegas, Espanola,Deming, Artesia,Gallup, Grants and the list goes on .

Lets hope than the respectful citizens of Tucson take back there city from the Gangs and the other hoodlums running amuck in Tucson.
It is so "unhappy" to read your post! I am planning to move there inasmuch as I visited there 15 years ago and it was an OK at that time. I will have to rethink because of your comment right here! Thanks anyway!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
It is so "unhappy" to read your post! I am planning to move there inasmuch as I visited there 15 years ago and it was an OK at that time. I will have to rethink because of your comment right here! Thanks anyway!
Well, I've lived here for almost 12 years. Can't say I find an enormous difference... The city is just bigger with more retailers, restaurants and what not, and traffic. Other than that, if you liked it then I don't see why you wouldn't like it now.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,269 times
I agree with Sierra. If you liked it 15 years ago, I suspect you'd still like it. Yeah, there's more graffiti than there was 10 years ago (we have a different demographic moving in), but generally speaking, I feel completely safe when I'm out and about.

I'm sure there are some unsavory neighborhoods, but I simply don't go there.

All the things you liked about the place are probably still intact. I myself moved away 10 years ago, and only moved back this past May. I still love it here.

In full disclosure, I live in Oro Valley, and I see no evidence of gang activity at all here. There may be, but I don't see any tagging at all, and I always feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson