Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times

Advertisements

More traffic congestion, potholes, speed humps, sprawl, red light cameras, check cashing and title loan outfits, more crime, fewer trees in mountains, admission charge to spend a day near Mt Lemmon, more arid, increased urban heating effect, lack of city direction (Rio Nuevo, etc), higher social service demands, poorer medical quality, 50% reduction in available airline flights, greater number of charter schools reflecting the poor state of public education.

Some symptomatic of any growing town, others unique.

Other than that not much else different

Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM

68 posts, read 210,111 times
Unhappy If liked it 15 years ago it is NOT the same

I relocated with my company and I HATE this place. I lived here 11 years ago and it was MUCH better. The people that made the city unique got sick of it and moved on.. Portland, San Diego, Denver but they are not here. All that is left are a bunch of snowbirds and bitter, disgruntled locals. I recommend NOT moving here. I am doing everything I can to leave and so is everyone else that transfered down with me. I wish someone would have looked me in the eye and said, DO NOT MOVE HERE. So, I am doing this for you. I don't know if it will help. All the negative things you read about Tucson are 100% accurate.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,854 times
It still depends on what you like and look for. It still amamzes me how so many either hate it or love it. (at least on this forum) Pretty much all of the people we met and talked with loved it there.

What I usually see here (Chi town) is more wishy-washy people. They say they don't like the weather or say they hate it but when you press them to elaborate, they usually say it's not all that bad.

If you want fast paced, very busy, with lots of night life type of stuff, Tucson probably isn't going to suit you. But if you like hot, dry temperatures with lots of outdoor things to do with a more laid back type of atmosphere, you will probably like it.

The retired people go to anywhere that it is warm so you will see that in any warm place like the Pheonix area, Texas, Florida, etc. I think some see that more in Tucson mearly because it isn't a large city. Some areas speciffically have built retirement neighborhoods. (Mesa comes to mind)

Many times it is just what you put into it, but not always. There are places that some just can't fit into.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmatical23 View Post
I relocated with my company and I HATE this place. I lived here 11 years ago and it was MUCH better. The people that made the city unique got sick of it and moved on.. Portland, San Diego, Denver but they are not here. All that is left are a bunch of snowbirds and bitter, disgruntled locals. I recommend NOT moving here. I am doing everything I can to leave and so is everyone else that transfered down with me. I wish someone would have looked me in the eye and said, DO NOT MOVE HERE. So, I am doing this for you. I don't know if it will help. All the negative things you read about Tucson are 100% accurate.
Well, I guess the locals are divided somewhat on this issue. The disgruntled ones are those who want to keep the cow feel of the Ol' Pueblo. I for one like the city a lot better now than I did when I first came here.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
Can anyone tell me about Southeast Tucson? Zip code 85730, near the air force base? I would LOVE to move to Tucson!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPAperson View Post
Can anyone tell me about Southeast Tucson? Zip code 85730, near the air force base? I would LOVE to move to Tucson!!!
Here's the homicide map: www.azstarnet.com ®

Here's crime the last few days: Tucson Crime Map - Showing Crime in Tucson, AZ - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The disgruntled ones are those who want to keep the cow feel of the Ol' Pueblo.
Now there's a blanket generalization. I'm sure many would prefer it to morph into a progressive city as demonstrated in other communities.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Now there's a blanket generalization. I'm sure many would prefer it to morph into a progressive city as demonstrated in other communities.
How is it a blanket generalization...? I said "the disgruntled ones," not everybody. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Tucson, at least I like the direction it's going in and that's exactly what annoys other long-time locals.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM

161 posts, read 693,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPAperson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Along with the technical data, a more personal view.....

I lived in 85730 for 12 years. Basically grew up there. When I moved to it there was older houses and new subdivisions going in. A lot of military. It's about the same today except the property crime has gone up slightly. However it is still very quiet (away from the main hustle and bustle for the most part) and I always felt very safe in that area, even at night. A lot of families with kids as well.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
Thanks, Actinic and Subie.
I'm from an area that has maybe 2 to 4 murders a YEAR so my "dream move" might be a real eye opener!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson