Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM

182 posts, read 370,091 times

Advertisements

Wow, there seems to be real unanimity that I should not teach in Nogales. The cost of living in both Nogales and Tucson sounds do-able (although that doesn't make the NUSD salary any higher). But the teaching situation in the Nogales schools and, potentially, the living situation in Nogales itself, sound significantly less than appealing. Thank you all for giving me your honest take.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I've been accepted to the Teacher Candidate Pool for the New Orleans Recovery School District -- whole different kettle of troubles there! And the apartment rental costs in New Orleans are out of control (why? I thought no one wanted to live there), so I'm not sure about that situation either.

This is such a tough year to be looking for a teaching job, or any job. If nothing decent materializes for the fall, I may just have to stay in Appleton and nurse my unemployment until I can find a survival job here -- at least I know the cost of living is terrific (78.4 compared to the 100 U.S. national average, according to City-Data's scale) and that I can survive. But I'd really like to be teaching a nice class of kids somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha View Post
Back to the drawing board, I guess. I've been accepted to the Teacher Candidate Pool for the New Orleans Recovery School District -- whole different kettle of troubles there!
OMG, from the frying pan into the fire?! I'd rather work AND even live in Nogales than in NOLA!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OMG, from the frying pan into the fire?! I'd rather work AND even live in Nogales than in NOLA!
Definitely agree with you on this one, Sierra!

Now that you have added New Orleans to the pot, Patrick . . . maybe I should reconsider my earlier post.

Considering the Cost Of Living as well as other major living conditions, especially the weather, Nogales wins hands down over New Orleans! However, there must be a third or fourth option as those two are like picking the Cleanest Pig In The Pigpen!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,214 times
Patrick,
my best friend (now 45) lived in Nogales for about two or three years when she was in her twenties. She was and is a librarian. She does not have fond memories of the town, but she was able to save a lot of money. Later on, she moved to LA, met her now-husband, and used her savings to pay for her wedding and make a down payment on a house. What she disliked about Nogales was that it didn't feel much like living in America, and she felt like a second-class citizen as an English-speaking caucasian. But the money saved made the experience worthwhile.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
as those two are like picking the Cleanest Pig In The Pigpen!
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnythePainter View Post
What she disliked about Nogales was that it didn't feel much like living in America, and she felt like a second-class citizen as an English-speaking caucasian. But the money saved made the experience worthwhile.
That's true - it doesn't. However, if you live someplace else and just work there, it can be doable. Living in Tucson is a bit of a stretch, though. Such long commutes probably get old fast.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Now that you have added New Orleans to the pot, Patrick . . . maybe I should reconsider my earlier post.

Considering the Cost Of Living as well as other major living conditions, especially the weather, Nogales wins hands down over New Orleans! However, there must be a third or fourth option as those two are like picking the Cleanest Pig In The Pigpen!
See, that is the problem: Only the worst places in America are recruiting teachers! I'm semi-serious about that -- Las Vegas and Oakland are on the market as well as New Orleans and Nogales. (The other sort of place that recruits is one that pays lousy but where the cost of living is catastrophic -- think Hawaii.)

But this is a major relocation for me, and I don't want to move again a year later.

The only state that seems to be recruiting for its better districts is Texas, where I have certification, but it's very competitive. North Carolina and Florida, where I also obtained certifications, were recruiting heavily even one year ago, but state budget woes are putting an end to that for the time being.

I apply to private schools nation-wide as well, but despite superior academic credentials, never hear back from them. I think there may be some age discrimination going on there. From observation, I think that private academies and boarding schools tend to hire under-30s who can also coach a sport (which I have no aptitude for doing) as an additional unpaid responsibility.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,572 times
And a lot of teachers commute (carpool) to Tucson. Don't do it. It's not economically sound. You will be tired after spending a day teaching English to students, whose parents make them speak Spanish at home.

One year, the police brought pictures of the gang activity to the Board meeting and the HS Principal was removed. She could very well be your new boss.

Last edited by horseplayer; 06-03-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha View Post
See, that is the problem: Only the worst places in America are recruiting teachers! I'm semi-serious about that -- Las Vegas and Oakland are on the market as well as New Orleans and Nogales.
What's wrong with Vegas?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What's wrong with Vegas?
I agree, Sierra . . . with those options, LAS VEGAS is a no-brainer.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Well, I'm a little harsh on Vegas, having lived there once already (although I didn't teach there). The last I heard, the high schools in Nevada had the lowest graduation rate of any state.

I just found Vegas kind of weird and artificial. There was always no much construction going on that I couldn't breathe, so I had to go on medication (unusual for me). The city seemed to attract people with problems -- gambling problems, alcohol problems, drug problems, emotional problems -- more than anyplace else I have ever lived or visited. It is also the most transient city in America. It used to be pretty cheap to live there, but it has gotten kind of expensive now. And I think the immediate economic prospects for Vegas are pretty terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson