Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
My understanding is that most, if not all, refrigerators have filtered systems for their water taps.
Yeah, on second thought, I recall reading something about filtering... I'm just extremely technically challenged!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wonder what’s the deal with this, too. I’ve never had a problem with the water in any other location before, but the water in my current house wreaks havoc with my hair! When the house was being built I had the option of getting a water softening system, but I didn’t because I don’t really like the feel of soft water at all. This water is something else, though! I’ve been meaning to have a filter installed on my shower, but haven’t gotten around to it.

Does anybody know if the sources of water are really different? They must be…
The sources are the same. However, there are treatment "stations" at various points throughout the distribution system that pump Chlorine (and sometimes other chemicals) into the water to purify it. Depending on how far your particular house happens to be from one of these pumps, it will affect the chemical composition of your water. This is why the taste/hardness of the water will be different in different places throughout the distribution system.

Overall, the water quality in Tucson is very good though. Tucson relies primarily on ground water which is rare nowadays. There are a lot of naturally occurring minerals in the water however, so for example if you have a history of kidney stones you may want to get a softener or drink the bottled stuff. Just be sure that the bottled water you are buying is actually of good quality, because it is not regulated. Water utilities are required to meet pretty rigorous standards, but bottled water companies aren't.

For the most part the tap water put out by Tucson Water is far better than what's available in the bottle. Installing a reverse osmosis system in your home, combined with the high quality of the ground water in Tucson will normally ensure that you are getting absolutely excellent water.

My only caution is that if you live in the Southern part of Tucson you need to be aware that there is still a TCE contamination problem. They are cleaning it up, but if you live anywhere near the airport you may want to have your water tested or consider bottled water. A filtration system will not remove TCE.

Another thing to consider is that the quality/composition of potable water in Tucson will change over the next several years. Tucson Water is once again beginning to blend CAP water with the groundwater sources. This will inevitably bring in new contaminants. Also, the Santa Cruz is one of the few North flowing rivers in the US and it's bringing serious chemical contaminants from Mexico into the aquifer under Tucson. They don't adequately treat the wastewater in Nogales, Mexico, and what little treatment they have does almost nothing to remove the industrial waste that is freely pumped into the system down there. That's something worth paying attention to as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson