U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,991 times
Default things to do

We will be visiting Tucson from WA for a few days this week. What do you guys recommend as cool places to drive and see.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

3,310 posts, read 4,478,000 times
San Xavier Mission - still an active church on the reservation from Spanish missionary days, maybe one hour to see it

Desert Museum - very well-run outdoor museum of animal and plant life of the region, maybe 1/2 day if you sorta rush thru it

Sabino Canyon - impressive desert canyon in the NE area, have to pay to park, pay for shuttle or walk up the road for free, 1/2 day or less

Mt. Lemmon Rd - drive up to the top of the nearby Catalina Mountains on a paved road into the tall pines in less than an hour and cool down by 25 degrees, 1/2 day or all day, fee to park up there at non-commercial areas

Sunset at Gates Pass - drive W on Speedway to the obvious pass parking area, free, sunset is about 7:15pm

historic downtown areas - not a huge area and not a lot of businesses, but authentic Tucson history, some restaurants, galleries, shops...low one-story adobe was the style, so no grand mansions or stunning architecture....art museum in the area, too, less than a 1/2 day needed

University of Arizona - right in the middle of town, pretty buildings mostly of brick, nice walking areas, nearby student hangouts on the west side of the U, quiet now with school mostly out for summer

river walks - no water in the rivers, but some very nice walking paths along certain areas of the Santa Cruz and Rillito banks, check for the areas to walk where paths are now completed

Boneyard - the local name for the largest aircraft storage facility in the world, attached to Davis-Monthan AFB, tours run thru the Pima Air Museum, a very good destination itself

will easily think of more stuff later.....

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,991 times
Much appreciated azdr0710!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,103,818 times
Stay away from downtown unless you like the smell of urine.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
You have to be kiddin'! Ever been to New Orleans? Go there and then form opinion about smells.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 4,840,317 times
Quote:
I haven't seen anybody urinate on the sidewalks this century, but last century I witnessed a homeless guy urinating on the side of an old hotel on Broadway... before they leveled it.

Can't remember which hotel it was, but it was near 6th ave and Broadway...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You have to be kiddin'! Ever been to New Orleans? Go there and then form opinion about smells.
No doubt other places may be worse - but downtown Tucson still smells like ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
I haven't seen anybody urinate on the sidewalks this century, but last century I witnessed a homeless guy urinating on the side of an old hotel on Broadway... before they leveled it.

Can't remember which hotel it was, but it was near 6th ave and Broadway...
I went to school for some time, in the downtown area. I've seen it numerous times.

Edit: I certainly have a way with derailing threads.....

To the OP: I would recommend checking out Pima Air and Space Museum if you are into that sort of stuff. Mt. Lemmon and Sabino Canyon are good sights to see as well!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 4,840,317 times
Quote:
No doubt other places may be worse - but downtown Tucson still smells like ****.

I went to school for some time, in the downtown area. I've seen it numerous times.

Edit: I certainly have a way with derailing threads.....

To the OP: I would recommend checking out Pima Air and Space Museum if you are into that sort of stuff. Mt. Lemmon and Sabino Canyon are good sights to see as well!
Ooops... did we hijack another one? Sorry!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Ooops... did we hijack another one? Sorry!

It is a curse (or a blessing?) of mine when I am involved in internet forums.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
Quote:
It is a curse (or a blessing?) of mine when I am involved in internet forums.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a blessing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson