Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times

Advertisements

YES, Joseph . . . there are slight weather variation here in Tucson.

However, the more noticeable temperature variations seem to happen in the Winter (cooler and/or colder overnight temperatures), not the Summer. Also, the East, the South and the Southeast seem to receive more rainfall than the other areas.

Bottom line . . . hardly enough to make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
The Tanque Verde area seems to have its own little micro-climate. It's a lot greener there than the rest of Tucson.

I agree about it being cooler when you're walking in a wash too.
There is one really bizarre pocket on Speedway, somewhere between Houghton and Freeman... don't remember exactly. I swear it's probably 10 to 20 degrees cooler! You just stick your arm out of the car and feel it.

Speedway & Kolb is also a very odd area. It often gets hail when no other place does or it rains there and a few hundred feet East it doesn't...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There is one really bizarre pocket on Speedway, somewhere between Houghton and Freeman... don't remember exactly. I swear it's probably 10 to 20 degrees cooler! You just stick your arm out of the car and feel it.

Speedway & Kolb is also a very odd area. It often gets hail when no other place does or it rains there and a few hundred feet East it doesn't...
Weird weather: Reminds me of a couple times when I was a kid. I was standing in the front yard, dry as could be, shielding my eyes from the sunshine, as I watched it pour down rain on the houses across the street.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Weird weather: Reminds me of a couple times when I was a kid. I was standing in the front yard, dry as could be, shielding my eyes from the sunshine, as I watched it pour down rain on the houses across the street.
Yeah, that can happen as well...

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM

100 posts, read 328,731 times
Quote:
Pardon??????? In the several times we have visited in Tucson I do not recall ever finding such neighborhoods. I did not there seemed to be trees in the cemeteries. (Never did understand that concept. Seems one of the areas least needy of trees.)

Neighborhood suggestions with many trees?
My neighborhood has a lot of trees. We even have a bunch of pine trees. We have sycamores, olive trees, palo verdes, acacia trees, citrus trees and quite a few others. We also have grass! I live on the east side of town near the Tanque Verde area.

Plenty of neighborhoods exist that have a lot of shade trees...I guess you just didn't look hard enough!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A. View Post
My neighborhood has a lot of trees. We even have a bunch of pine trees. We have sycamores, olive trees, palo verdes, acacia trees, citrus trees and quite a few others. We also have grass! I live on the east side of town near the Tanque Verde area.
Yeah, it's very nice out there!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Seems to me that there is something close to a 5 degree drop in temperature per 1,000 feet gained in altitude, so it's probably a good 2 degrees cooler in the foothills. I know that's true as you ascend Mt. Lemon.
Quote:
The Tanque Verde area seems to have its own little micro-climate. It's a lot greener there than the rest of Tucson.

I agree about it being cooler when you're walking in a wash too.
Flagstaff sits at 7000', and as you ascend from Phoenix (1100'), the cooler temps become very noticable. Especially from the Verde Valley on up, where 1000' is gobbled up very quickly (one right after the other) as you drive upward! 100 degrees in Phoenix becomes about 70 in Flagstaff in roughly an hour or more!

Obviously, its vice-versa on the way back down!

Pretty much the same with Mt Lemmon (Summerhaven sits at 8000') and Tucson (2300'-2700') - depending where you live!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Here's the ultimate answer to the OP's question:

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

It's that wunderground.com private weather station site I like so much - this time focused on Tucson at zoom level 10 showing all the online private weather stations in the area with their real time temps - along with any rain (showing up as green) if there is any.
Zoom in and out or move around as you wish to see more detail or other areas of the country/world. Note that you can zoom in pretty darned close - close enough to see individual houses, streets, swimming pools and cars.

Ken

Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Here's the ultimate answer to the OP's question:

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

It's that wunderground.com private weather station site I like so much - this time focused on Tucson at zoom level 10 showing all the online private weather stations in the area with their real time temps - along with any rain (showing up as green) if there is any.
Zoom in and out or move around as you wish to see more detail or other areas of the country/world. Note that you can zoom in pretty darned close - close enough to see individual houses, streets, swimming pools and cars.

Ken
Ken, I know you're obsessed with weather , but I have a hard time believing there is an 8-degree difference in temperature between where I live and work.... The difference in elevation is about 200 feet. Yeah, I know I get snow at home when there's no snow at the office, but 8 degrees just sounds a bit too much to me.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ken, I know you're obsessed with weather , but I have a hard time believing there is an 8-degree difference in temperature between where I live and work.... The difference in elevation is about 200 feet. Yeah, I know I get snow at home when there's no snow at the office, but 8 degrees just sounds a bit too much to me.
Keep in mind that there are lots of different microclimates around - especially in a city environment and it can vary a lot from a weather station in the sun or near lots of asphalt to one in shade near trees. I have probably a 5 degree difference between my front yard and my back yard on a sunny day.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson