U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Scottsdale, AZ
3,460 posts, read 5,006,342 times
Reputation: 2781

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There is one really bizarre pocket on Speedway, somewhere between Houghton and Freeman... don't remember exactly. I swear it's probably 10 to 20 degrees cooler! You just stick your arm out of the car and feel it.
this is because you're passing very close to the Tanque Verde wash at that point where, as mentioned here, cool air sinks....pretty neat to experience a several-degrees temp drop when you drop into any ol' wash around here, especially in the evening and early morn....

some areas of the Foothills used to be called a "thermal belt" because heat would rise a bit and allow citrus groves to exist, despite being higher...remember cold air sinks...thus Orange Grove Rd....most of the groves are gone now, but the area W of Oracle along OG Rd is an example of the "thermal belt" area.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 5,091,642 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this is because you're passing very close to the Tanque Verde wash at that point where, as mentioned here, cool air sinks....pretty neat to experience a several-degrees temp drop when you drop into any ol' wash around here, especially in the evening and early morn....

some areas of the Foothills used to be called a "thermal belt" because heat would rise a bit and allow citrus groves to exist, despite being higher...remember cold air sinks...thus Orange Grove Rd....most of the groves are gone now, but the area W of Oracle along OG Rd is an example of the "thermal belt" area.....
That's great info, azdr! Don't know why, but I never really thought about WHY that road was named Orange Grove until this post! Crazy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: TUCSON
106 posts, read 225,881 times
Reputation: 80
THANKS KEN!!! This is just the information I had not found. I have this bookmarked and will keep tabs on it now.

Also, I will make a point of checking Tanque Verde when we come to visit next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,036 posts, read 13,970,269 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by joskel View Post
THANKS KEN!!! This is just the information I had not found. I have this bookmarked and will keep tabs on it now.
You're welcome. I love that site. It's soooooo useful. I've even used it to check to see how the weather is way out in the South Pacific on my beloved Rarotonga and Aitutaki.



Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,844 posts, read 54,243,396 times
Reputation: 22787
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this is because you're passing very close to the Tanque Verde wash at that point where, as mentioned here, cool air sinks....pretty neat to experience a several-degrees temp drop when you drop into any ol' wash around here, especially in the evening and early morn....
Interesting... There must be some properties with quite different climate in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 5,091,642 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this is because you're passing very close to the Tanque Verde wash at that point where, as mentioned here, cool air sinks....pretty neat to experience a several-degrees temp drop when you drop into any ol' wash around here, especially in the evening and early morn....

some areas of the Foothills used to be called a "thermal belt" because heat would rise a bit and allow citrus groves to exist, despite being higher...remember cold air sinks...thus Orange Grove Rd....most of the groves are gone now, but the area W of Oracle along OG Rd is an example of the "thermal belt" area.....
Yep, quite interesting... my guess is that if I fall, or someone drops me into an old, deserted mine-shaft... it should be pretty cool in there, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,844 posts, read 54,243,396 times
Reputation: 22787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yep, quite interesting... my guess is that if I fall, or someone drops me into an old, deserted mine-shaft... it should be pretty cool in there, huh?
I think so! Gives me an idea how to cool my house! I do have a wash in front!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 5,091,642 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think so! Gives me an idea how to cool my house! I do have a wash in front!
Correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top