U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Status: "Time it was and what a time it was, it was." (set 6 days ago)

3,586 posts, read 3,241,578 times

Advertisements

I think Bummer was talking to JillBoBill, making a sarcastic comment about her post, so you don't need to be offended. He wasn't talking to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 AM

7,875 posts, read 9,666,484 times
We have a lot of Palmetto Bugs in NYC, we call them Waterbugs, they are large (sometimes bigger than some mice) and fly, one landed on face once. They are attracted to wet/humid areas, they multiply in the Summer here in NYC when it's hot and humid.

Peppermint oil usually gets rid of them (mice too), and also since the bathroom is usually the most hot and humid place (especially after a shower) in the house they stay in there so we leave the bathroom door open when its not in use so the humidity can escape and that also cuts down on the Palmetto Bugs. They also like to hide and breed in wet clothes/towels so we take those out the bathroom as well.

They are different than the German Roaches who are more attracted to garbage, namely discarded food. We have a lot of these here too. We use Coconut oil to get rid of Daddy Long-Leg spiders too, there's a remedy for almost everything lol.

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-03-2009 at 03:07 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM

10,195 posts, read 7,725,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
We have a lot of Palmetto Bugs in NYC, we call them Waterbugs, they are large (sometimes bigger than some mice) and fly, one landed on face once. They are attracted to wet/humid areas, they multiply in the Summer here in NYC when it's hot and humid.

Peppermint oil usually gets rid of them (mice too), and also since the bathroom is usually the most hot and humid place (especially after a shower) in the house they stay in there so we leave the bathroom door open when its not in use so the humidity can escape and that also cuts down on the Palmetto Bugs. They also like to hide and breed in wet clothes/towels so we take those out the bathroom as well.

They are different than the German Roaches who are more attracted to garbage, namely discarded food. We have a lot of these here too. We use Coconut oil to get rid of Daddy Long-Leg spiders too, there's a remedy for almost everything lol.
I've got to try peppermint oil next spring when the rebirth of life explosion comes again. There are an amazing supply of bugs in Oklahoma and anything small enough to get into the house will. And the stuff smells good If it deters mice all the better. My dog and cat show me where any of those kind of critters might be about but I'd rather they stay out. A snake in residence will keep them away too of course.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 AM

10,195 posts, read 7,725,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
You should ask this on an Oklahoma board, Glitter. This is an Arizona board.
I check out other places and continue to plague the Califormia board too. But from someone who used to live in socal, omg yes, there are bugs here. Lots and lots and lots. I haven't seen many beetle types but the walls are pretty well sealed. Haven't seen any of the german variety at least.

The black things that look like grasshoppers and leap like them but sit in the trees and make this... noise... all night had a recent inside visitor. I rescued it and put it outside before its experience at being a cat toy became fatel.

Hmmm. Are the mosquitos bad in AZ? Here they lie in wait for you to slip out the door and get you.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 AM

641 posts, read 1,270,713 times
Yeah, Bummer... Oh plezzzz -- lol

Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM

7,971 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I think Bummer was talking to JillBoBill, making a sarcastic comment about her post, so you don't need to be offended. He wasn't talking to you.
Thanks, Marcy . . . once we lose our Sense of Humor we're DEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Yeah, Bummer... Oh plezzzz -- lol
It's all your fault, JillBo!

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM

BTW where do you find peppermint oil? I think the couple of roaches that got in our house came in where the Directv guy had to drill holes for the cable coming in to the house since this condo was originally wired internally only for Comcast. (We wanted MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket, so went with Directv).The dish is a huge monstrosity on our balcony and the cords come in to the house in two places. I suppose I could caulk the holes from both sides, but if peppermint oil works, I'd like that for the windows and doors.

We're almost batting 100 this summer. We've seen one scorpion, two cockroaches, numerous (or the same one many times) cute little lizards, a tarantula with a pink blotch on its back, but no rattler.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM

641 posts, read 1,270,713 times
Any grocery store should have it, Marcy. Look by the spices.

If not there, then Whole Foods should - at about double the price it should reasonably sell for.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM

15,237 posts, read 25,490,057 times
We have these large, nasty things here in the Coachella Valley too. I HATE them!!! In fact, I had one in my guest bath last night!!! Thought I was gonna die! I guess I have a phobia about them. Anyway, my exterminator says to run water down all the drains once a week, and keep all drains that aren't being used closed tightly. I keep everything closed up, but I admit, I'm not always diligent about running the water downthe drains. After last night's episode, I think I'm gonna stay on top of that.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 AM

They come up through the DRAINS?????? Holy poop!!! How do they do that? I thought drains were connected to sewers that carried water? Oh, my. I'm frantically running every water faucet in the place as we speak. Oh, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

I thought it was bad a couple of weeks ago when we dumped out a dead geranium and in the dirt were several grown cockroaches and bunches of newly hatched babies. Dh looked like he was putting a fire out as he stomped all of them. Then sprayed them with some liquid stuff he got at Home Depot, then put the whole mess in a Ziploc storage bag and in to the garbage can. I itched psychologically for a couple of days after that. But, the drain????

I am definitely stocking up on peppermint oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson