Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 PM

83 posts, read 219,989 times

Advertisements

Regarding the food... oh geez here comes the rant... I think it will be a big step down compared to what you're used to in New York. I just moved here from a town less than half the size and am not impressed at all by the food, not even the Mexican food. SUPPOSEDLY the Mexican food is "more authentic" here than anywhere else therefore making it superior according to most people. But guess what, I ate at Mexican restaurants run ENTIRELY by Mexican people back in Kentucky, and it was better AND cheaper. If "authentic" out here means salsa with no chunks of tomatoes in it, just some runny ketchupy type substance, I guess I don't like it authentic. I've never heard of charging $1.75 extra for putting cheese on burritos either. By the way, I've only eaten at two Mexican joints here but one of them was the highly acclaimed "El Charro's". No, I didn't get their $20 chimicanga, but the $10 chicken burrito I got was nothing special. I've also noticed that people out west seem to like their pizza thin. Other than Subway, I've yet to have a normal sub sandwich out here... I order an Italian sub from one place and they give me salomi and cheese on two different pieces of bread, which I had to eat with a fork. I got a sub at a popular lunch place downtown ("Baggins" I think it was called) and the sauce on the thing was so hot (horseradish from hell?) I swear my nostrils were burning as I exhaled... utterly unenjoyable experience, and it was a $10 sub. Um, I've eaten at two Chinese buffett's so far, but they're pretty standardized I guess across the U.S.... seems to be a little less seafood at these (no crab legs or scallops) but not much difference otherwise. Certainly not going to compare to your beloved Chinatown. Oh yeah, that place called "Eegee's" that everybody seems to love around here is not that good at all. So far I have probably been of little help to you, but I will offer you this: don't take anybody's advice about where to eat. They likely have very different preferences from yours and you would end up disappointed. I just wish Cracker Barrel wasn't so far up I-10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Interesting, scottrc . . .

Although I don't agree with all of your points, I was very intrigued with your critique of Tucson's Food until reading your positive reference to The Cracker Barrel on I-10.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 69,596 times
HaHa. Although that's not quite the response I was looking for, it was entertaining to read Scott. Thank you for your input and I'll consider myself forwarned. To be honest though, I know that Tucson and New York will not taste the same and that's kinda fun. I've lived ALL OVER this country and I know part of the excitment in trying someplace new is getting to know what's local, different and unique to that place....in other words; I'm not looking for New York, I'm looking for Tucson!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
The normal trick with Tucson food, is to hit the little restaurants. Anything that gets rave reviews by the papers or the ones you here everyone rant and rave about, I usually find to be no good. Though there are exceptions.

Good Mexican food is here - you just have to know where to go! You want authentic? Hit one of the "roach coaches" on the southside. Good stuff, and cheap too! For a real restaurant - Guadalajara Grill has amazing food, and they make your salsa, to taste, at your table side.

Eegees: No one goes there for the subs. Eegees is loved mostly for their slushy drinks. The subs are mediocre at best, but I will say they probably have the best french fries to be found.

If you want a good sub, Mr. Goodcents on Broadway and Silvermine Subs down by the U of A make a good sandwich.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
Regarding the food... blah blah blah blah blah blah .....I just wish Cracker Barrel wasn't so far up I-10.
And then you completely undermine all credibility you MIGHT have had going for you by wishing Cracker Barrel was not only closer - oh, no - but that it even existed at all.

Way to go.

I don't know if I'd bike around Tucson for the sole reason that it's kind of hot and you might get a weird 'I pee'd myself' look going on from the bike seat. I guess, though, you really only have to worry about the really hot-hot-hot for a few months of the year, right.... right?

The food isn't like Manhattan's (I get all teary thinking about it), but it's good. They have some great churros.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloo View Post
HaHa. Although that's not quite the response I was looking for, it was entertaining to read Scott. Thank you for your input and I'll consider myself forwarned. To be honest though, I know that Tucson and New York will not taste the same and that's kinda fun. I've lived ALL OVER this country and I know part of the excitment in trying someplace new is getting to know what's local, different and unique to that place....in other words; I'm not looking for New York, I'm looking for Tucson!
You are very wise, Liloo . . .

Looking for New York in Tucson would be a definite sign of insanity!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
And then you completely undermine all credibility you MIGHT have had going for you by wishing Cracker Barrel was not only closer - oh, no - but that it even existed at all.

Way to go.

I don't know if I'd bike around Tucson for the sole reason that it's kind of hot and you might get a weird 'I pee'd myself' look going on from the bike seat. I guess, though, you really only have to worry about the really hot-hot-hot for a few months of the year, right.... right?

The food isn't like Manhattan's (I get all teary thinking about it), but it's good. They have some great churros.
Cracker Barrel has an amazing Chef Salad.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 PM

83 posts, read 219,989 times
OK everybody, I take back my statement regarding the Mexican food... I just went to that Mexican fast-food place called Los Betos today and got their $7 nachos and it was unbelievable.
As for Cracker Barrel... well, I AM from Kentucky so I have always been into the chicken 'n dumplings and sweet tea type meals. Seems like there is one on every exit in many parts of the state and down throughout the south as well. You get a lot of food for the money too. I don't know if they serve sweet tea in the Tucson one, but so far the only place I've found that offers it here is McDonald's. Everyone else just looks at you like you're crazy when you ask for it. What's with that? Does everyone here drink their coffee black too? I suppose Arizona doesn't get many people from the south... mainly people from the upper midwest and other cold places, so that has a big effect on what they serve to eat and drink here. The guy who delivered my mattress was from Mississippi and one of the first things he said when I told him where I was from was that I was "never gonna find food as good as back in the southeast." He may be right, he may be wrong, but they definitely have a different style out here.

And one more thing: I would kill for some fried green tomatoes.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
OK everybody, I take back my statement regarding the Mexican food... I just went to that Mexican fast-food place called Los Betos today and got their $7 nachos and it was unbelievable.
As for Cracker Barrel... well, I AM from Kentucky so I have always been into the chicken 'n dumplings and sweet tea type meals. Seems like there is one on every exit in many parts of the state and down throughout the south as well. You get a lot of food for the money too. I don't know if they serve sweet tea in the Tucson one, but so far the only place I've found that offers it here is McDonald's. Everyone else just looks at you like you're crazy when you ask for it. What's with that? Does everyone here drink their coffee black too? I suppose Arizona doesn't get many people from the south... mainly people from the upper midwest and other cold places, so that has a big effect on what they serve to eat and drink here. The guy who delivered my mattress was from Mississippi and one of the first things he said when I told him where I was from was that I was "never gonna find food as good as back in the southeast." He may be right, he may be wrong, but they definitely have a different style out here.

Eeeh, buddy... I'd kill for many things myself, but it is what it is... If we wanted to eat what we like we should've sat on our rear ends!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:

Scott, baby... ain't you never heard of: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?" It just wouldn't be right if I went to Kentucky or Mississippi and started a-hankerin' and askin' everybody around me for tacos, tortillas, enchiladas and horchata, now would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson