U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM

94 posts, read 179,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think that physicians should do a better job of educating the people they see about just how risky obesity is--heart disease, all types of cancers, joint disorders, type 2 diabetes. Take time w/ patients to explain things.
The ultimate responsibility lies w/ the individual, but what are docs doing as the supposed "leaders" in our current health care system? Preventative health care is a paradigm shift that America doesn't seem ready for.
I don't think it's because people "just don't know" and need to be educated.
Everyone knows that barbecue chips are junk food and oatmeal isn't.

I think it stems from the fact that all of us invented our diets from scratch.

Have you ever done anything right the first time?

If you went back thousands of years ago, a community's diet was passed down through the generations.
My mother was from Hawaii, my father from Scotland, and I grew up in Canada. I remember when I was about 6 (maybe 1962) my Mom coming home from the grocery store with a small paper bag. It was filled with a new breakfast cereal named "Froot Loops", and I loved them. Loved them with whole milk and shovelfuls of sugar on top. Thus Froot Loops were added to my diet.

It's drugs folks, it has very little to do with food, almost nothing other than the means of consuming is through eating.

The "global village" that occurred in my lifetime had the side effect of "anything available anytime" in grocery stores, and we all self medicated and designed our own way pretty much with no thought at all given to nutrition. In the 60's we weren't skeptical of companies like Heinz, General Foods, Post and all the rest, and we let ourselves get sucked in to bad habits. Eating is based on habits, and I invented my own based on what felt the best. Sound familiar?

I do blame McDonald's and Jack and the rest though. What would it take to have a bowl of frozen corn or canned beans on the menu? Or a bowl of shredded wheat with a picture of Tiger Woods eating it? They've contributed in a big way to all of this, but I agree it's up to the individual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

263 posts, read 35,111 times
Nobody is forced to the junk food aisles. And no one is forced to buy or eat(except kids) certain foods, or too much of them. Some people just have no accountability for their actions. They want to blame others, not taking responsibility for themselves. With all the media today, if someone doesn't know smoking is bad, and obesity is bad, or that eating an apple is better for you than eating a Snickers bar, they must be afflicted and probably would not listen anyway, to doctors or others. Healthy Shopping Tip: The most healthy food is found in the aisles around the perimeter of the store Apple......Gooooood! HoHo's.....Bad!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM

641 posts, read 1,241,363 times
I was actually just talking to my husband the other day about how NICE it is to live in a state where there's not tons of morbidly obese people crawling around everywhere on those little hover-round mobiles. It's ironic how so many of the things I'm thankful for here are the same things others take for granted or can't understand the scope of and complain about.

It could be so, so, so, so much worse. I can't begin to tell you the weird crap I've seen and the horrible state some people keep themselves in. Arizona might be rising in the ranks, but so is every other state. Be lucky that you guys have a beautiful state to live in and lots of things to do outside. Be glad you have a state that encourages and supports walking and biking and gorgeous mountains all around you to go play in to keep fit when it's too hot in your own backyard.

Conversely, check this out.... The Weight's Over: Should Fat People Pay More for Health Insurance? | BNET Intercom | BNET They'll just be charged more for health insurance I'm sure they already can't afford. So, they drop it and switch to government funded medical insurance. Which comes out of our pockets in the wash, doesn't it? Hmmm....

Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 AM

27 posts, read 81,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post

I do blame McDonald's and Jack and the rest though

Agreed.....how dare they serve people too stupid to take care of themselves!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM

3,971 posts, read 6,060,429 times
Fast food places like Jack or Mcdonalds are nasty. The only thing i like at those places are milkshakes. mmmm milkshake. My problem is beer and i like beer so i won't stop drinking it. But i will argue this. At 165 girls say im too skinny at 210, chicks dig me. I'm 5' 10"

Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM

2,916 posts, read 5,020,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Fast food places like Jack or Mcdonalds are nasty. The only thing i like at those places are milkshakes. mmmm milkshake. My problem is beer and i like beer so i won't stop drinking it. But i will argue this. At 165 girls say im too skinny at 210, chicks dig me. I'm 5' 10"
Wingster, the chick magnet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson