U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 10,751 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Tucson from southern cali the end of this month. Can anyone help me with safe areas of the tucson area to live.
I also wonder about shopping for both malls and grocery.
I am single woman and wonder if there are concerts, mostly jazz. What radio stations are offered other than country music and if the poeple of tucson are friendly as I have no friends or family there. I will be relocating for a job. Where would I find, what service providers are in tucson, for electric, cable, etc??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM

23 posts, read 45,520 times
Hey loverofsocal- I'm moving to Tucson shortly also. I may not be the best person to help as I'm not there yet either, but I did find a couple of resources that might help.
DoTucson.com - Tucson Arizona's Premier Online Guide...Get Out - Restaurants | Shopping | Entertainment | Hotels | Golf | Real Estate has info on local service providers and some other good info. Also, the online Tucson Weekly has what seems like good information on what's happening there in the music scene along with arts and entertainment. Hope it helps-Good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM

69 posts, read 126,000 times
Best crime maps and stats I can find are here: TPD Crime Stats
Radio stations found here: Tucson Radio Stations
Only one country station on that list I think, which is unbelievable given that this is a western town.
Grocery shopping is done at Fry's, which is actually part of the Kroger chain.
Trader Joe's is popular too... seems to be geared towards organic foods and premium brands or something, but I haven't checked it out.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,254,328 times
Welcome, loverofsocal.

About 12 years ago I did the exact same thing . . . relocated here from California without knowing a soul. Heck, I didn't even have a job so you're definitely one up on me.

As for "where to live?" . . . that's a tough question without knowing where you are going to be employed since commuting in Tucson can be a booger.

Also, keep an open mind as July and August are the killer months as far as the weather is concerned. If you survive through Labor Day . . . you'll be just fine and, hopefully, learn to love Tucson as I have.

Good Luck

Old 07-05-2009, 04:20 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,139,764 times
if you have the time, try to get over here several days ahead of when you have to be here and just explore the city and get a feel for it before you commit to a place....see if you can rent for a month or so if you plan on eventually buying....get a very good map that might highlight places, malls, schools, points of interest and just explore....

being from SoCal, you know about Trader Joe's....there are four, I think, here in the Tucson area

as scottrc said, Fry's is the most popular mainstream grocery....Sunflower, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Food Coop are also here for healthier options.....

Tucson Electric Power is the main in-town power company....Southwest Gas is the main gas co.....Tucson Water for you-know-what.....Cox is in town for cable, phone, and internet....Comcast is the same for out of city limits.....Qwest provides phone and internet, also.....

as liloo said, the Tucson Weekly is the main alternative arts weekly here....comes out on Thursdays.....good listings of what's happening.....

the Arizona Daily Star is the main local daily...it also has a weekly calendar section of events.....

July and August will be quite humid, bright, warm....September dries out but remains warm....nights cool off in October and things are nice thru April after that, with winter nights close to freezing.....can be a few gray days in there with cold rain once or twice a month in winter.....

4th Avenue (on each side of 6th St) is the locally popular hippy/funky area with a few college bars, restaurants, second-hand stores, homeless types, bead shops...not a big area at all, though

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM

69 posts, read 126,000 times
Yeah and if you go downtown, day or night, you will see plenty of homeless people. They somehow manage to sleep in the parks even on 100+ degree days. I can hardly walk to my own work from the parking garage without being asked for change (and most of these people look like they just arrived on the street yesterday). Like I said though, check out those crime maps... I made the mistake of not looking before I signed a lease and while I haven't had anything happen yet (my area has tons of theft), I kinda wish I had just found a place up in the far northwest part of town where I'd have more peace-of-mind. The main thing I think you have to worry about is theft. There is tons of it (26 cars stolen last year alone from my apartment complex in mid-town, and theft reported at least once a month including one burglary just last Saturday).
Um, honestly I haven't really heard much jazz if any on the radio though they supposedly have it... I tried the stations listed as jazz and they were classical music and news. Sadly I haven't found any dedicated smooth jazz station. Time to get XM radio I guess.

But anyway, I just moved here by myself too so feel free to PM if you need someone to talk to sometime.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM

276 posts, read 776,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverofsocal View Post
I will be relocating to Tucson from southern cali the end of this month. Can anyone help me with safe areas of the tucson area to live.
I also wonder about shopping for both malls and grocery.
I am single woman and wonder if there are concerts, mostly jazz. What radio stations are offered other than country music and if the poeple of tucson are friendly as I have no friends or family there. I will be relocating for a job. Where would I find, what service providers are in tucson, for electric, cable, etc??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What part of so cal will you be coming from?

Having moved here from so cal myself just over 18 months ago and I find the people here are much friendlier.

Location all depends on how you want to live.Oro valley is nice to live in has mostly what you are used to in cali. The south east side is more remote from town and less congestive .Decide on what you want,more city life or peace and quiet.

Music stations you have many choices.

Jazz havent found on the radio,but this is what I use
Local jazz is now more accessible than ever. The web-based Tucson Jazz Radio Project has just introduced a new stream, which plays real jazz twenty-four hours a day. To tune in, simply visit www.tucsonjazzradio.organd the stream will automatically play through your media player.

The stream focuses on real jazz, "not smooth jazz, no Kenny G, none of that stuff," said Tony Frank, the program director of the Tucson Jazz Radio Project. Real jazz, as Frank defines it, is "that beautiful, mood-altering, life changing music" that affects its listeners profoundly. Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie are among the musicians that Tucson Jazz Radio plays regularly.

recommend the music at Acacia in St. Philips Plaza, on Thursday and Friday nights from 7p.m. to 10pm.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 PM

153 posts, read 337,658 times
I moved here in the Spring and these are the things I love about Tucson so far. KXCI 91.3 FM Community Radio is absolutely fantastic, great music. I live under "A" Mountain, and the fireworks last night were really cool. The whole neighborhood was out celebrating, grilling, partying, one family even had a live band playing. In my hood there is a cool bakery called El Rio Bakery. They have fresh tortillas, soups, and all kinds of freshly baked Mexican style sweets, FANTASTIC! I actually love Food City grocery stores, unbeatable prices. Tucson had gigantic parks, I love Reid park. I love to go fishing on Saturday mornings to Silverbell Lake. I love the lizards, the birds, and public TV. I think when I moved here first I hated it, but now I am slowly warming up to it. So far we have seen Mt. Lemmon, Patagonia lake near Nogales. Monsoon season is on right now so there impressive huge storms weekly. Oh yeah, I love the a/c in my house the most.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:35 PM

263 posts, read 45,400 times
"Slowly warming up to it." That's hilarious! Don't you mean quickly!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 10,751 times
thanks to you all... I got some good info....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson