U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,396,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post

You're a witty one! I like it!
He-he, thanks, but it's only helpful on forums.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM

171 posts, read 468,349 times
Default Tuscon Vs. Phoenix

I saw somewhere on here where these two cities were compared but I can not find it. Can someone tell me why they favor one over the other and the major differences? I can tell you what I like and then someone can tell me which one I fit more with. I am a married woman. I am 25 and my husband is 33 so we are still young. We have three kids ages 8, 6, and 2 so we want a child friendly community. Where I live in a small town in Ohio is lacking that. I want a diverse area. I am black, my husband is white and of course our children are biracial. I want my children to meet different types of people. (We are teaching our daughter spanish). I feel that they need to be arounf other children. My husband and I want to be able to find a job soon after we get there. Does not really matter about the type but we want to be able to know there are jobs. I am going to college to become a paralegal. Can someone please help!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM

2,595 posts, read 1,973,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaHeat View Post
I have noticed most of you who dislike Tucson have pointed out ONLY the bad areas of Tucson.

What about the Catalina area? North Tucson, Northwest Tucson. Mararana?

Some incredible areas to live in.
Yeah.......incredible is you have one or more of the following.

Lots of money for overpriced housing that is built with shoddy construction methods (this is abundant no matter what "incredible" area you go to.

Lots of money for gas for commutes and the time to spend in your car commuting.

No kids because even there the schools are mediocre at best.

There is no infrastructure here and as a younger person who had to move here because of a job I have yet to find a good place to go and spend my time. The place is overflooded with senior citizens who have forgotten how to drive and no matter where you go you can't escape the sun and heat 9 months out of the year. I suppose its incredible if you're some weird lizard that needs to lay out in the sun or if you're a 90 year old trying to squeeze a couple of more years out of life.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM

62 posts, read 177,660 times
Default Tucson my 2 cents

While reading this thread I keep thinking "its in a desert". I have visited Tucson about 8 times over a 12 year period, the last 2 years in a row. March 06 was beautiful! Last year we decided to visit over the July 4th week, rented a bike at Tucson HD and thought we would get in 7 days of riding around southern AZ. Well we only ended up riding 2 of the 7 days. The first and last, and actually the further south you go the cooler it got (elevation you know). We did our activities very early in the morning and hung out at the pool the rest of the time. Being a northern east cost brat all my life I can appreciate all the desert has to offer (I dont need to repeat whats already been said). I plan on moving to the Tucson area in a couple of years to work and retire since housing is more affordable here vs. in the DC area. Just my 2 cents!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM

391 posts, read 864,526 times
I still don't understand some people here. If you dislike Tucson so much why not move somewhere that suits you better? One of the reasons we are going to move to Tucson because we hate the cold and snow in Illinois. I would rather be hot than cold anytime.

I complain about many things here (in IL) but we will be moving away to live in a place we will enjoy more. (Tucson)

There is someone that posts alot here that lives in the Chicago area. He loves it there and thinks it's the best place in the world but still posts negative things about Tucson in this forum. Why?

If you move to Tucson and complain about the heat, that's crazy. It's desert, it's suppose to be hot. Just like someone said above, if you move to the midwest and complain about snow and the cold, that's crazy too.

And for schools, better just means that the parents have enough education, time, and the want to spend time with their kids teaching them. I live in one of the so called best discricts in IL but the only reason my kids are learning is because I spend time every day teaching them. Because they sure are not learning in school. Our district has a 98% parent involvement with their kids in school. If you look at school systems around the country you will find that the worst schools have the least parent involvement.

I believe that this is because good school systems are ususlly in areas that have mostly higher educated parents that are willing or have the time to spend teaching their kids what the schools don't. Many of the bad schools are in areas that have parents that don't have the education to help their kids and/or both parents need to work or are single parents that just cannot give their kids the help that they need.

And all towns/cities have good and bad things. You cannot always trust the data that is published either. If you read the community newspaper here you would think there is no crime and everything is just wonderful. They just do not publish many of the things that actually happen. They just caught a band of burglars that were breaking into homes here after 2 years. This was a real problem although there was almost nothing published. They also have not caught the bank robber tha has been robbing banks on Roosevelt road here. There was a kid last year that stabbed his mother to death and was hiding out around the neighborhood. This was 2 blocks from me. The police were so worried about it that they were warning people door to door. There was very little published about this either. There are more regestered sex offenders in my town than in Tucson. Many times if it doesn't get published it doesn't get imto the statistics. There are other things here to like gangs gun fire, etc.

People here just spend most of their time indors because the weather stinks so they are oblivous to what goes on.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM

348 posts, read 1,635,897 times
Default I agree

I agree with sickofIL & roadrunner---I'm so sick & tired of reading all these negative posts on here presenting all of Tucson like it's some kind of ghetto---give me a break. Every city has its problems. I am moving there the end of May & can't seem to find a single positive post about the city at all. Yes, Arizona's not the prettiest state, I agree. I'm going to fortunately be living in the N or NW part of Tucson which I've heard is the 'nicer' part.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM

1,223 posts, read 3,439,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-to-AZ View Post
I agree with sickofIL & roadrunner---I'm so sick & tired of reading all these negative posts on here presenting all of Tucson like it's some kind of ghetto---give me a break. Every city has its problems. I am moving there the end of May & can't seem to find a single positive post about the city at all. Yes, Arizona's not the prettiest state, I agree. I'm going to fortunately be living in the N or NW part of Tucson which I've heard is the 'nicer' part.
You're all right, there is a lot of Tucson bashing going on here. Are there things that could be improved upon? Sure, but no city is perfect. Take what you read with a giant grain of salt... If I said that the sky was beautiful out here, I'm sure someone would respond that it's too blue and there aren't enough clouds.

Now, flame on negative ones.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 AM

2,595 posts, read 1,973,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
You're all right, there is a lot of Tucson bashing going on here. Are there things that could be improved upon? Sure, but no city is perfect. Take what you read with a giant grain of salt... If I said that the sky was beautiful out here, I'm sure someone would respond that it's too blue and there aren't enough clouds.

Now, flame on negative ones.
The sky is too blue and there aren't enough clouds. I miss being able to go outside even with sunscreen on and not feeling the sun burn into my skin.
I would move but unfortunately the overspeculated Arizona market would cause my fiance to lose money on the house her and her parents bought (hence the parents will not sell and I'm stuck here). I have a proverbial $200K ball and chain around my ankle.
Until then, there is nothing to do here in Tucson that doesn't cost money and I have to spend my money on housing payments. I gotta find something to do and this is as good an outlet as any to vent some steam.
Now if someone wants to shut me up I'll take some offers

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
DSS

6 posts, read 19,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermgee View Post
I'm not really passionate about this, but I got to reading these posts today and since I'm a native Arizonan who attempted to move to the Midwest for a few years and couldn't do it, I think I have a perspective I haven't seen expressed. I would encourage anyone moving here from the Midwest, to come with an open mind, and give yourself time to see if you like it. You can never look at crime statistics and temperature means and know how you're really going to feel about a place.

I've had a lot of friends and relatives visit from places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, etc. It seems like when they complain about Arizona, they complain about things that are just really different for them. Most of the time, they're extremely righteous with their complaints too, like, "It is too hot! Cacti have stickers! There is garbage on the side of the road!" And I kind of want to say, "Well... yeah. That's what's here." I've had so many visitors who just couldn't get over whining about the lack of grass or whatever and enjoy something different. It isn't like I go to Minneapolis in the winter and then complain about the winter - I knew what I was getting into: snow and cheese curds.

Because I grew up in Bisbee and love living in Tucson, I'm completely ok with the following (educated white woman talking here): people speaking Spanish in front of me, 110 degree heat, people who don't care to clean up their yards, knowing that some gang shootings are probably happening a few miles away from my downtown apartment, drinking a lot of water, putting on a lot of sunscreen, employing the relatively minor safety precautions necessary to get out and hike and smell desert.

Yes, people say horrible things about Tucson - but then you have people like me who can only think of horrible things to say about places that are flat, have crappy Mexican food, too much winter, and are generally too boring to think about seriously considering as options.

I think a lot of it is how well you can adapt to a culture you haven't been immersed in your whole life. If you want to move to a place that's exactly like where you already live, but with warmer weather, this probably isn't it. If you're ready to maybe expand your limits about what's acceptable, maybe it is.
Well said!
On a "soggy December evening in western Oregon", my sister and I just booked a flight to AZ, rented a place in Sedona, flew home, announced we were moving, and in February, with snow on the ground in Sedona, we landed in the desert.

We will never leave!

We have heard the exact same comments from, oh, just about everyone we can name, back in Oregon, including our children. HEAT, DUST, NOTHINGNESS, among other descriptions----and the interesting part is----majority of them have never been to Arizona---and when they do visit----the majority of them will not see "anything"----and you can't "tour guide" point it out to them----the incredible night sky, the landscape that changes hues from moment ot moment, the wildlife that silently goes about each day's survival, and on and on-----So I just listen to them and move on---ah ha, maybe that's it----change isn't for everyone.

dss

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 29,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Yeah.......incredible is you have one or more of the following.

Lots of money for overpriced housing that is built with shoddy construction methods (this is abundant no matter what "incredible" area you go to.

Lots of money for gas for commutes and the time to spend in your car commuting.

No kids because even there the schools are mediocre at best.

There is no infrastructure here and as a younger person who had to move here because of a job I have yet to find a good place to go and spend my time. The place is overflooded with senior citizens who have forgotten how to drive and no matter where you go you can't escape the sun and heat 9 months out of the year. I suppose its incredible if you're some weird lizard that needs to lay out in the sun or if you're a 90 year old trying to squeeze a couple of more years out of life.
I would suppose that double brick construction is considered shoddy? You obviously have never lived in california where the houses are twisted from building with green timber, and the foundations are cracking from subsiding.
I am from Tucson, moved to 4 cities in north and southern california and can't wait to get back. Talk about infrastructure. At least tucson has a grid system, and good bus systems. It takes over 2 1/2 hours to get across san diego on a bus and san diego is not a whole lot bigger than tucson geographically. Senior citizens are moving to the southwest, so you have a choice to either shovel snow, or live with the old folks. They'll all be gone in 20 years anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson