Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 9,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
10 reasons in random order:
1. highest skin cancer rate in the nation
2. valley fever - it's real and can be very hard to recover from
3. schools - worst ranking in the nation in graduating kids from high school
4. very low wages for same work compared to other parts of the USA
5. poor representation in the state capitol - tucson is az's step child
6. termites - only 2 kinds of houses here - those that have termites and those that will.
7. water issues are worsening with time - very long drought!
8. infrastructure (roads, etc) cannot keep up with the population boom
9. & 10. Can't think of any more . . . other ideas out there?
Cancer: use sunblock or don't go out during the peak sun hours
Valley fever: stay in doors when it's windy or wear a mask, there is treatment for this
Schools: I don't know about your parents, but mine participated in my education and didn't just leave it up to the teachers. If you do your part as a parent you shouldn't have to blame the system. Perhaps volunteering to help kids improve would make a difference and make you feel better about the system
Low wages: If it's our state's representatives fault, the people voted, and if you didn't vote, you shouldn't complain.
Poor representation: See above
Termites: Treat your house with pesticides or try the microwave method, be pro-active and protect your property (don't you protect your health by getting shots and going to the doctor?)
Water: Hmm - let's see...this is the desert, didn't we all know water was an issue when we moved here. Go somewhere where water is not an issue - Oh but let's see, water is an issue everywhere or it would be free!
Infrastructure: Look up the definition of 'paradox'. I wonder what it means if our infrastructure is suffering because of population growth - why is our population growing so fast if Tucson is so AWFUL as you portray it to be?

In summary: I don't understand why all of the people who have posted awful things about Tucson are still living here, or living in the neighborhood they are in. Everyone has an option to leave and move to where the grass is greener (no pun intended). I am a true believer that you are in control of YOUR own happiness, unless you are being abused and you are in a depression and you really have no control over that or you can't just snap out of it. Every place has +'s and -'s and IF there are some things that can be changed why not be a positive influence and make a difference by doing something about it, instead of just complaining.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 36,000 times
Absolutely disagree with everyone of your replies.
A total misrepresentation of the areas I mentioned. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Yeah.......incredible is you have one or more of the following.

Lots of money for overpriced housing that is built with shoddy construction methods (this is abundant no matter what "incredible" area you go to.

Lots of money for gas for commutes and the time to spend in your car commuting.

No kids because even there the schools are mediocre at best.

There is no infrastructure here and as a younger person who had to move here because of a job I have yet to find a good place to go and spend my time. The place is overflooded with senior citizens who have forgotten how to drive and no matter where you go you can't escape the sun and heat 9 months out of the year. I suppose its incredible if you're some weird lizard that needs to lay out in the sun or if you're a 90 year old trying to squeeze a couple of more years out of life.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-to-AZ View Post
I agree with sickofIL & roadrunner---I'm so sick & tired of reading all these negative posts on here presenting all of Tucson like it's some kind of ghetto---give me a break. Every city has its problems. I am moving there the end of May & can't seem to find a single positive post about the city at all. Yes, Arizona's not the prettiest state, I agree. I'm going to fortunately be living in the N or NW part of Tucson which I've heard is the 'nicer' part.
There have been numerous positive comments here about Tucson! From me many times and others as well. And yes the north, NW, are the nicer parts of Tucson hands down.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS View Post
Well said!
On a "soggy December evening in western Oregon", my sister and I just booked a flight to AZ, rented a place in Sedona, flew home, announced we were moving, and in February, with snow on the ground in Sedona, we landed in the desert.

We will never leave!

We have heard the exact same comments from, oh, just about everyone we can name, back in Oregon, including our children. HEAT, DUST, NOTHINGNESS, among other descriptions----and the interesting part is----majority of them have never been to Arizona---and when they do visit----the majority of them will not see "anything"----and you can't "tour guide" point it out to them----the incredible night sky, the landscape that changes hues from moment ot moment, the wildlife that silently goes about each day's survival, and on and on-----So I just listen to them and move on---ah ha, maybe that's it----change isn't for everyone.

dss
It's funny but true! I get people that are shocked that there are any trees here or you can grow anything. My friends back in Florida think I live in a barren land devoid of any creature comforts. lol

Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 PM

22 posts, read 119,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegothouse View Post
why is our population growing so fast if Tucson is so AWFUL as you portray it to be?

In summary: I don't understand why all of the people who have posted awful things about Tucson are still living here, or living in the neighborhood they are in. Everyone has an option to leave and move to where the grass is greener (no pun intended). I am a true believer that you are in control of YOUR own happiness, unless you are being abused and you are in a depression and you really have no control over that or you can't just snap out of it. Every place has +'s and -'s and IF there are some things that can be changed why not be a positive influence and make a difference by doing something about it, instead of just complaining.
Maybe because most of the people down here are paid 20k more (out of college) than 50% of the US population to come down here to work. Some others are ordered to come down here for the military base. If it weren't for Raytheon and DM, there would be no reason to live here. The only people who would live in Tucson at that point would be the people who want a 2 hour commute to Phoenix.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8472c View Post
Maybe because most of the people down here are paid 20k more (out of college) than 50% of the US population to come down here to work. Some others are ordered to come down here for the military base. If it weren't for Raytheon and DM, there would be no reason to live here. The only people who would live in Tucson at that point would be the people who want a 2 hour commute to Phoenix.
Go easier on the generalizations... Not all of us work for Raytheon and the base.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8472c View Post
Not all moved here for Raytheon or the base for that matter.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,978 times
Quote:
If it weren't for Raytheon and DM, there would be no reason to live here.
Really, I thought there was more to Tucson than these two. Then Tucson can't be the 8th largest growing technology areas in the country then. I didn't know that Raytheon and DM was large enough to support everybody in a metro area as large as Tucson.

When I started looking at the job possibilities there it seems to me that I found many more places. There's plastics, optics, and biotechnology to name a few.

The bottom line is it is all in what you as an individual wants. I enjoy my fanily life. Work is a necessary evil. You need to work most of your adult life and I dont want to spend what little time I have outside of work in a place that has clouds, rain, snow, hot/humid, not much sun weather. I also enjoy the laid bace attitude of Tucson vs the cut throat attitude in Chicago. I enjoy relaxing. I love the sun. I love the desert. My Grandfather lived most of his adlescent life in Bisbee. He always wanted to go back but never did because of family. We are in the position to move and we will as soon as we are able.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Here's a list I found of Tucsons largest employers:

Largest Employers

Ken

PS- Look at the other links on that page - many of which are very useful, such as this link to a map showing the location of the area's largest employers:

http://www.treoaz.org/TREO/media/doc...0Employers.pdf

Old 04-04-2008, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 119,480 times
Think about it, if everyone and their families at Raytheon and DM left, how many service and retail jobs would be lost, how many dollars would be taken out of the local economy...?

"Laid back" is a good word for Tucson as most drive 10 mph under the speed limit and the town is shut down by 8pm. I wish that I actually did more research on this town before moving down here and not just believe the hype. I consider moving to Tucson one of my biggest mistakes. Once I find a job in Phoenix, I am moving out of here as fast as humanly possible. If I knew that Tucson was this awful, I would have told Raytheon to get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson