Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 04:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,011,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Yes I like Tucson. But since i don't live there yet I still want to know about negative aspects. But I have not read much that really showed something other than bashing. Many have posted good things. That's fine with me. There has been some good on topic posts but not many.
Okay, I've been in Tucson for a year now. For the most part, I like it, but it's not perfect. Here are some imperfections that I've found:

- No easy way to get east to west. I live way down in the far SW side and I often go to about as far east as you can get. It's a hike! It's faster and easier for me to get to Oro Valley simply due to the fact that I can get on the highway. A beltway system would be great, or even a bypass that could quickly take you across the city.

- A lot of the traffic lights are poorly timed, which is an irritation especially if you're running late.

- Final traffic rant - Who thought a train running smack dab through the city was a good idea. There are few roads that actually run under the train tracks, so many times you get stuck for about 10 minutes waiting for the moving graffiti gallery to go by.

- Shopping carts. Everywhere. Left in washes, at bus stops, etc. What's up with that?

That's all I can think of right now as my own day to day irritations. I will say that even though there are traffic issues, the traffic is better than where I'm from. However, there is definitely room for improvement.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I don't know why people would say not to move to Tucson. I have lived in Fl. all my life and moved to Tucson for a little bit. I stayed in the NW part of town and actually enjoyed my stay there.

Good for you, mq!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
I have lived here all my 33 years and have enjoyed it a lot. I have never really lived anywhere else. The heat is finally getting to me. I just can't stand it anymore. I love the outdoors and working in the garage, but I am getting to the point where I won't do these things between June and October. If I can convince my wife, we will move somewhere cooler. I would love to hate the snow like eveyone else does!

A few things that I don't like about Tucson (keep in mind I have never lived anywhere else):
1) Someone mentioned "just go to the mountains to escape the heat!" I live on the northwest side. To get to Mt Lemmon, I would have to drive at least an hour through town and then another 45 minutes up Mt Lemmon highway to get there. Because of the lack of east-west freeway system in Tucson, it would be faster for me to drive to Phoenix than to go to the mountains.

2) I read the first 40 pages on here and not once did anyone mention the stink on I-10. You know, the sewer plant smell that you get at Prince road! I drive many out of towners down I-10 and I always get the same two comments: Is all of Tucson this ugly? and What is that smell? It is embarrasing.

3) I love the outdoors and I am always out somewhere in the desert. I feel that it has gotten dangerous not because of animals and little critters, but because of the illegal trafficing and drug trafficing. When I was a kid, all we saw were deer trails and animals. Now you have to watch out for bands of illegal activity. The desert has changed drastically because of the newly made trails with tons (I litteraly mean tons) of trash scattered everywhere. This is right outside of Tucson and everywhere in-between. It is a major problem that I think a lot of Tucsonans turn a blind eye to. After what I have seen out there, I am always extra sensitive when I am out camping.

Now aside from these things and a few others that have been mentioned multiple times in the past, I do love this city (it is no longer a town so stop treating it like one!) Home is where you hang your hat. You can find happiness in any city if you look hard enough. If you don't like something, become active in your community. VOTE. Be the one to help make it better. Now if I could only make the temp go down in the summer???

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecameron87 View Post
I

2) I read the first 40 pages on here and not once did anyone mention the stink on I-10. You know, the sewer plant smell that you get at Prince road! I drive many out of towners down I-10 and I always get the same two comments: Is all of Tucson this ugly? and What is that smell? It is embarrasing.
Oooh... I forgot about this one. We rented a place off Silverbell Rd near the animal shelter last year when we first got to town. Every now and then that lovely smell would waft into our neighborhood.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM

11 posts, read 17,401 times
Default Ya....if I knew then what I know now

Ya I would have stayed in Michigan....Had a free trip offered to me at a point in my life when I needed a change. Been out here almost 5 years now and it seems that 80% of the folks in Tucson are or should be in a mental health program. It is very hard to make new friends....It seems like everyone that you meet out here is hiding out and does not want to be noticed. Other major American cities tend to ship their homless out here so that they do not freeze to death which creates a severe surplus of folks demanding money, cigarettes, Ect. The illegals and the drug trade they have going on here are crazy.....Home invasions, car thefts. Pretty much if you have mexican plates on your car you never get pulled over for anything, the police do not want to waste the time on some one who they know will never show up for court. The Snowbirds that drive massive luxury cars at 20 miles under the posted speed limit. Man....If you want a new life........move to Phoenix...or Seattle......OH Yes there is also NO CROSS TOWN FREEWAY like other cities! It can take you almost 2 hours to get accross town some days.And the bike riders that think they have the right of way and ride anyplace they want SHEESH

Last edited by Manicbht; 12-10-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM

359 posts, read 1,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicbht View Post
Ya I would have stayed in Michigan....Had a free trip offered to me at a point in my life when I needed a change. Been out here almost 5 years now and it seems that 80% of the folks in Tucson are or should be in a mental health program. It is very hard to make new friends....It seems like everyone that you meet out here is hiding out and does not want to be noticed. Other major American cities tend to ship their homless out here so that they do not freeze to death which creates a severe surplus of folks demanding money, cigarettes, Ect. The illegals and the drug trade they have going on here are crazy.....Home invasions, car thefts. Pretty much if you have mexican plates on your car you never get pulled over for anything, the police do not want to waste the time on some one who they know will never show up for court. The Snowbirds that drive massive luxury cars at 20 miles under the posted speed limit. Man....If you want a new life........move to Phoenix...or Seattle......OH Yes there is also NO CROSS TOWN FREEWAY like other cities! It can take you almost 2 hours to get accross town some days.And the bike riders that think they have the right of way and ride anyplace they want SHEESH
I must agree with you about the people that live in Tucson. Most people around here are criminals, scam artists, a "wannabe" inspirator, poorly educated, homeless, and high on drugs. It is sad to see the "once was" great and lively city turn into a dump. Blame it all on Mayor Walkup.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM

986 posts, read 2,804,874 times
I am sure there is not a place on Gods green earth that is perfect!!! I have been here in Tucson 5 months. I know it is not long enough to really form an opinion..but this is what I know..it is begining to feel like home. I am starting to get comfortable. Getting to know the people in my local stores. My neighbors, my daughter is making friends. She's in a dance recital at the foothills mall this saturday. All the simple things that makes a new place feel like home. My only complaint...stores close way to early!!! I went to ace hardware the other nite at 7pm and it was closed!! I am used to everything being open 24hours back east!! No place is perfect...but I am going to do the best I can to be comfortable and happy here..

Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
I must agree with you about the people that live in Tucson. Most people around here are criminals, scam artists, a "wannabe" inspirator, poorly educated, homeless, and high on drugs.
Wow... I don't know what kind of crowd you hang with, but I haven't really met anybody that falls into those categories. Most of the people I've met are hospitable, friendly, artistic and witty. Hmm...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Wow... I don't know what kind of crowd you hang with, but I haven't really met anybody that falls into those categories. Most of the people I've met are hospitable, friendly, artistic and witty. Hmm...
That's because people tend to find and gravitate towards people like themselves.
Your description of the people you've met says very good things about you - not so good things about the poster you were referring to though.

Ken

Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,976,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Where did the poster imply that he 'hangs with' a bad crowd?

Perhaps he's simply run across more people fitting the description by virtue he's been (a) around longer and (b) gets around more (as opposed to working at home for instance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson