Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,639 times

Advertisements

What kind of work can you do/want to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 48,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
That area at Grant and Alvernon is no worse now than it was 5 and 10 years ago.

The problem with the area is perception. A couple major bus routes cross right there and for whatever reason, it is a very busy traffic and foot traffic area. The more people you have in one area, the more oddities you will see.

I grew up in that area. As a kid, with trusting, non-paranoid parents - I was allowed out after dark. As I got older, I was able to venture forth from the front yard. Not ONE single time had I ever felt like I was in danger because of someone else out on the streets at the same time.

To be fair, we did have a few situations were someone attempted to steal things from the backyard, or break in - but I had that on the East side too.

I stayed in the neighborhood for some time and left to the East Side when I was 23 or so. In my time on the East Side (22nd-Prudence, Speedway-Pantano, Broadway-Craycroft, supposedly safer?) I had witnessed 3 violent crimes (never seen one before hand), heard about many others, found the TPD helicopter to be overhead more often, and would not walk on the streets at night with out my #1 choice for self defense.

I am 27 now. As of the end of May I am back in the Grant-Alvernon area. It is very quiet comparatively to my east side locations. I am more comfortable.

While out for a walk last week we did get caught in the mini hurricane that came by, and while taking refuge under an awning outside a business, a drunk on a bicycle did try to point out some advertising for something, but I hardly felt threatened.

Precisely! I was raised in Tucson, living all over.

I grew up living off of 29th street and spent a few years living right off the Santa Cruz next to the County Jail, in an area that most people would cringe to drive through and had ZERO problems.

The Grant/Alvernon area is where most of my teen years were spent and I had no issues. When my wife and I recently moved here (I'm an AZ native, she's not) we rented a small house right off Grant/Alvernon.

Most of my teenage years were spent around the Grant/Alvernon area. I attended supposed "rough" schools and I just don't see any problems. Yes, some of the neighborhoods are older, get over it, the city isn't new and expanding at an exponetial rate like Phoenix. Maybe it's just that I grew up here, but my wife seems to be happy with our move too and she's from a totally different background ( nice part of Orange County, Ca ).

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobermanjt View Post
Most of my teenage years were spent around the Grant/Alvernon area.
Life is not static. Things change.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
What's your area, Bummer ? If I'm not too nosy.
I live near the Tucson Mall, Ohno . . .

I've also seen similar signs on Ina Road near the Foothills Mall.

Good Luck

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Life is not static. Things change.
I'm not sure I understand? Yes, this area is not exactly as it was twelve years ago when I left Tucson but I am BACK in this area now and see no real difference.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand? Yes, this area is not exactly as it was twelve years ago when I left Tucson but I am BACK in this area now and see no real difference.
Well, 12 years ago there was hardly any traffic East of Pantano, let's say. Now there's plenty.

Neighborhoods can also go downhill easily in this time frame. Of course, it's all a matter of perception as well. What looks fine to you may not look fine to others.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, 12 years ago there was hardly any traffic East of Pantano, let's say. Now there's plenty.

Neighborhoods can also go downhill easily in this time frame. Of course, it's all a matter of perception as well. What looks fine to you may not look fine to others.
Okay, I follow you now.

I definitely agree, particularly in regards to perceptions. That was partially the point of my initial post -- I grew up here, and in some less than desirable areas, and that is going to affect my opinions.

I was trying to add in that my wife is here with me now and seems to be okay with our neighborhood. She feels the area is a bit older and "run-down" in places but she is happy with it overall.

Do I think the foothills are nicer than Grant/Alvernon? Without a doubt. There will also be a significant cost-of-living difference and, to be a bit blunt, I don't care too much for the attitude some foothill's residents have. Just my take on it.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,639 times
Quote:

I had only been living away from the area for ~4 years. But I was in the area often as my parents still lived there. I agree that the area has not changed that much, if any at all.

If anything it has gotten better. There used to be a halfway - or something similar - house back behind that pottery store somewhere.

I am not sure really what it was but there were all sorts of people "recovering" from various drug addictions, alcohol, parolees, etc. They were always getting into trouble and harassing pedestrians for money. It is no longer there.

The cops were at the Circle K there ALL the time because of them.

Also, the Palo Verde Baptist Church on Palo Verde just south of Grant there had been taking on some shady business - and got shut down a year ago or so for a prostitution ring they were running.

Anyway, a lot of the riffraff in the area has moved out.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Do I think the foothills are nicer than Grant/Alvernon? Without a doubt. There will also be a significant cost-of-living difference and, to be a bit blunt, I don't care too much for the attitude some foothill's residents have. Just my take on it.
Oh, I don't care for some attitudes, either. You did say your wife is from a "nice" part of OC, but didn't specify it and that's also a matter of perception. I'd imagine somebody from Santa Ana would be happy as a clam, while somebody from Irvine would think they found themselves in hell...

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Anyway, a lot of the riffraff in the area has moved out.
Just yesterday I was driving on Alvernon, heading from Speedway toward Grant. Well, I don't like what I see... Shady characters at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson