U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
And sierra, it is indeed Bella Sirena with the great pools.
So it did turn out cool! Have you stayed there? As I said, these places were ticking me off with their non-smoking policies, but ever since Playa Bonita signed up for the same crap, it doesn't matter anymore. Pretty seamless transition that close to the border. That's why I'm no longer as fond of Rocky Point as I used to be. One has to go farther in to find some peace these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
Please give me some examples of violent crimes against tourists in Rocky Point or Kino Bay or San Carlos.
They know they have no proof - simply because it doesn't exist. However, that's never been a reason enough for stopping such ignorant babble. Im a woman and Ive been to Rocky Point a few times alone. Never had a worry in the world. Obviously, I exercise the same common sense I do in Tucson or anywhere else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM

And the funniest and most ironic thing is that 2 out of the 3 fear-mongers who won't set foot in Mexico eat in the most dangerous Mexican neighborhoods in Tucson on a regular basis!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,103,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And the funniest and most ironic thing is that 2 out of the 3 fear-mongers who won't set foot in Mexico eat in the most dangerous Mexican neighborhoods in Tucson on a regular basis!
I'm glad to know I am the smart one!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I'm glad to know I am the smart one!
Afraid not... but you can definitely be in the running for the smart-as* part!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,103,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Afraid not... but you can definitely be in the running for the smart-as* part!

I'll settle for that!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM

272 posts, read 983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
The OP asked, an opinion was given, and people agreed with it. That is hardly fear mongering.
The opinion was not based on fact as far as the safety factor for visitors to Mexico is concerned. The violence in Mexico as I presented it is a fact. Fear of violence in Mexico as a whole, particularly against foreign tourists, is not based on fact. Avoiding an entire country because of violence in some parts of that country is over-kill, and advising others to avoid something (explicitly or implicitly) based on opinion rather than hard data is very akin to fear mongering. It is not logical to avoid Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, San Miguel de Allende, et al-- and yes Puerto Penasco or San Carlos-- because of violence in Toluca or Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana or Durango. If fear of violence is your only reason then that reason is irrational, because the actual data do not confirm its validity.

I ask again, show me examples of tourists in Rocky Point or San Carlos who were victims of violent crime.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

1,223 posts, read 3,282,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
As to the questions from the OP: What exactly do you want? Are you looking for a home/condo rental or will a decent but cheap Mexican hotel do? Nightlife? Fishing? Bumming around on the beach? Restaurants? That info would be helpful to us who might be able to advise you-- those of us who have been in either place more recently than, say, 3 years ago...
We'd probably prefer a home/condo rental - mainly to have a kitchen since we don't want to have to eat every meal out. Nightlife isn't really important, there's a possibility of hitting a laid back bar with live music but not looking to really throw down. We'd probably just bum around on the beach or go swimming. I'm not sure if there's canoeing or kayaking down there, but that could be an option. Not into fishing. And maybe a restaurant, but that's not super important (if we have a kitchen).

As far as the whole safety aspect. I'm guessing that as long as you stick to the main roads going down there shouldn't be too much of a problem driving? And once we get to where we're going, we'd probably just hang close to there.

I didn't mean to cause a whole debate on here, although it seems easy to do on this forum.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I didn't mean to cause a whole debate on here, although it seems easy to do on this forum.
It sure is! As you know, we can't even agree on the weather... At least in England they appear to reach consensus on that one! Were totally doomed.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM

272 posts, read 983,545 times
Renting a condo or house in Rocky Point will definitely cost you more, depending on location, etc. Even in today's dead market I'd guess you'll be looking at $100 per night minimum (though you might be able to bargain). I'm not in that business so I can't give good advice on that. There are some places set back away from the beach that are less expensive, if you don't mind driving a bit to get to the beach. I'd go to Rocky Point Talk and ask on that forum about prices, etc.-- you might even get a nibble or two. Do look at Cholla Bay, too, which someone else suggested. Not the long stretches of beach available elsewhere, but it's funky and fun and generally less expensive than, say, Sandy Beach or Las Conchas. Also check out Playa Mirador (where Manny's is); you might find a less expensive rental in that area of town because it's not as fancy, though its location is superb for everything.

There are kayak rentals available, tide pooling, great shelling, good food, a Leys supermarket, live music at any number of establishments and a trip to CEDO a bit south of town is worth your time.

And though access to the beaches in front of the condos at Sandy Beach is not as easy as it used to be, you can still get there without much hassle. There are plenty of other great beaches, including Playa Bonita, that are still easy. See The Fabulous Beaches of Puerto Penasco.

Coming from Tucson, there's only one road to take and it's a very easy drive. From the border at Lukeville, it's only about an hour and the road is good. Do keep an eye out for American drivers who might be speeding while imbibing, if you get my drift. Make sure you have your passports or passport cards in order or you'll get hassled trying to get back into the USA.

San Carlos I'm familiar with-- Kino Bay, not so much. Again, I think your best bet would be to ask at one of the forums for San Carlos. They know about Kino Bay. Try San Carlos Sonora Mexico Message Forum

Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Ha, turns out good ol' Saro (he's Italian; God knows how he ended up there...) made an youtube video. It's a very basic hotel, but you do have everything you need, it's right on the beach, and every room has a balcony. At the time it cost about $40/night, so now it may be $50-60... You'll find some bad reviews as the guy is a bit weird, but his hotel is a really good cheap choice in Bahia Kino if you don't mind rustic.

YouTube - Hotel SARO

Here you can also see what Kino Bay looks like:

YouTube - Sun City Hotel in Bahia de Kino, Sonora Mexico

YouTube - Dasha in Kino Bay, Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson