Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing that just a few days before 4th Ave will finally be connected with Congress, Rialto Theatre will be evicted?! Only in Tucson! I still think some miracle (say, private donation or something) will happen and it won't move, but who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Do you know the entire situation regarding the Rialto?

From what I've read - I'd say the joint as we know it is doomed. Doubt there is any saving it.

What can you expect though? I mean this was run by the same city council that chased the Film makers of Public Enemies out of Town - who knows how much revenue the city lost because of that?

The same City Council that funded a GRAFFITI contest, and then cut the cities budget for removing graffiti.

The same group of goons who could not find the time to even have representatives show up at the last Police Academy graduation.

The mayor sleeps all day, and the rest of the council is too concerned with their height/karaoke skills and/or public arts and pandering to fringe special interest groups. What can you really expect?

With the new non-partisan elections we'll be having - hopefully we can get these goons out and some new folks in.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Do you know the entire situation regarding the Rialto?

From what I've read - I'd say the joint as we know it is doomed.
No, I can't say I've paid attention to the details. I still hope at the end it'll be the same deal like the fireworks - something will work out at the 11th hour. It can't just go away...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, I can't say I've paid attention to the details. I still hope at the end it'll be the same deal like the fireworks - something will work out at the 11th hour. It can't just go away...
The people who own the building, last I heard are pretty much refusing to let the Rialto Foundation stay.

Rialto has to vacate property by Aug. 18 | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/302151.php - broken link)

Quote:
Crawford said the theater's latest offer was a six-month lease at $2,600 a month. The developers had offered the same terms for a yearlong lease.

However, Martin said he's "definitely not" interested in a making a deal with the foundation, adding that the Rialto is trying to get the City Council to condemn the developers' property.
Martin is one of the developers who owns the property.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The people who own the building, last I heard are pretty much refusing to let the Rialto Foundation stay.

Rialto has to vacate property by Aug. 18 | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/302151.php - broken link)
I know about that. That's why I said it was ironic to have Rialto out on the 18th and the underpass open on the 20th!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I know about that. That's why I said it was ironic to have Rialto out on the 18th and the underpass open on the 20th!
I linked because thats where my quote from Martin came from.

I am thinking the only way the Rialto Foundation gets to stay is if they are able to come up with the money to buy the property.

All in all, I don't think the city should really have anything to do with it.

The place could have been so much more if it was ran privately.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I am thinking the only way the Rialto Foundation gets to stay is if they are able to come up with the money to buy the property.
I just hope the money will materialize somehow... That’s part of the history of the city, for cryin’ out loud!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I just hope the money will materialize somehow... That’s part of the history of the city, for cryin’ out loud!
The building will remain history of the city regardless of whether its occupied by the Rialto Foundation or not though.

That is of course unless the Foundation succeeds in having it condemned. Then it might be taken down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: