U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

852 posts, read 849,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
Hey, why don't we build a dam at both ends of town, collect rainwater in the riverbeds, put in fish, etc.? Seems to me its very retarded to have these empty riverbeds, when they could be filled with water. Develope the riverfronts even further with waterfront walks, shops, trees, wild-life, etc.
One of the considerations that was shelved back in the 90's was the idea of using the open space at the base of A Mountain to store the CAP water, instead of putting it out at the Haden Udall Plant in the middle of the desert. The idea at the time was that you would have a major water feature downtown (basically a lake) and have the added environmental benefit of A Mountain providing shade for almost half the day and subsequently reducing evaporation. Unused water could have been put into the dry riverbeds creating additional water features and habitat for wildlife. This would have been a great asset for downtown and they were going to build the reservoir anyway, so the cost difference was minimal.

The City wasn't supportive at all of this plan and instead opted to build that plant out in the middle of nowhere with a huge open water basin that just sits there behind a fence. It's currently over 330 acres of water reservoirs that could have been downtown for the same price.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

153 posts, read 336,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
One of the considerations that was shelved back in the 90's was the idea of using the open space at the base of A Mountain to store the CAP water, instead of putting it out at the Haden Udall Plant in the middle of the desert. The idea at the time was that you would have a major water feature downtown (basically a lake) and have the added environmental benefit of A Mountain providing shade for almost half the day and subsequently reducing evaporation. Unused water could have been put into the dry riverbeds creating additional water features and habitat for wildlife. This would have been a great asset for downtown and they were going to build the reservoir anyway, so the cost difference was minimal.

The City wasn't supportive at all of this plan and instead opted to build that plant out in the middle of nowhere with a huge open water basin that just sits there behind a fence. It's currently over 330 acres of water reservoirs that could have been downtown for the same price.

OMG! Instead, now we have 2 gigantic holes with two skinny coyotes living in them. Assuming you are talking about the area South of Congress.
This is unreal! The city leadership needs to pickup the paste othervise Tucson alway will remain the dry cracked soul of the desert without much life in it.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

852 posts, read 849,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
OMG! Instead, now we have 2 gigantic holes with two skinny coyotes living in them. Assuming you are talking about the area South of Congress.
This is unreal! The city leadership needs to pickup the paste othervise Tucson alway will remain the dry cracked soul of the desert without much life in it.

Indeed. It's kind of hard to believe that they passed on a 330 acre lake in the heart of downtown that was being built with mostly federal money, but they did. Instead we have a large reserviour halfway to Ajo that most people in Tucson don't even know about. And even if they did know, it's surrounded by a fence.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM

18 posts, read 59,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

That's because Tucson's local government is awesome! Change will come soon.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,606,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmGTR View Post
Change will come soon.
I've heard that quote repeatedly, in the 70's ... 80's ... 90's. There's been change alright.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 PM

683 posts, read 1,794,675 times
Here's a story y'all might find interesting. A few years back there was some talk about turning the old quarry at the base of "A" Mountain into an artists community.

Old quarry may be site of artists' colony | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/fromcomments/37315.php - broken link)

I like the idea of doing something creative with some of the old quarrys along the Santa Cruz. The Pines Golf Course is a great example of what can be done.

Golf Tucson, Arizona - The Pines Golf Club at Marana - Tucson Public Golf

Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I've heard that quote repeatedly, in the 70's ... 80's ... 90's. There's been change alright.
I wasn't around in the 70's, 80's, or old enough to start change in the 90's. Now I will start it and I know the talent to do it. I'm sure you had fun watching people fail after saying that but it will not happen anymore. You'll never meet anyone else like me.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,899,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Here's a story y'all might find interesting. A few years back there was some talk about turning the old quarry at the base of "A" Mountain into an artists community.

Old quarry may be site of artists' colony | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/fromcomments/37315.php - broken link)

I like the idea of doing something creative with some of the old quarrys along the Santa Cruz. The Pines Golf Course is a great example of what can be done.

Golf Tucson, Arizona - The Pines Golf Club at Marana - Tucson Public Golf
There's a lot of talk in this town. Very little of it materializes.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but it's the truth.

Here's the latest story of the incompetence of city leaders and how it could significantly delay the start of the modern streetcar:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/304184 (broken link)

Here's a story about an underpass linking 4th Avenue to DT Tucson that took two years to redesign that has an additional cost of $15 million which city council failed to reveal to taxpayers:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/304186 (broken link)

Why do residents keep voting these council members in?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
There's a lot of talk in this town. Very little of it materializes.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but it's the truth.

Here's the latest story of the incompetence of city leaders and how it could significantly delay the start of the modern streetcar:

Costs soar for bridge's 4th redesign | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/304184 - broken link)

Here's a story about an underpass linking 4th Avenue to DT Tucson that took two years to redesign that has an additional cost of $15 million which city council failed to reveal to taxpayers:

4th Ave. Underpass rises to $46M | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/304186 - broken link)

Why do residents keep voting these council members in?
I would say it's always the same group that votes and there are no new people voting when the time comes (voting stats would help greatly on this subject). I could be completely wrong but that seems like the most plausible reason. Again. This will be changed.

Tucson better watch out.

Last edited by StockholmGTR; 08-13-2009 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Misspelled a word.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,606,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmGTR View Post
I wasn't around in the 70's, 80's, or old enough to start change in the 90's. Now I will start it and I know the talent to do it. I'm sure you had fun watching people fail after saying that but it will not happen anymore. You'll never meet anyone else like me.
Whatever you got to tell yourself. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson