U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM

2,916 posts, read 4,940,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoYearsMax View Post
I don't need to read the article. I know it is wrong, wrong, wrong. Tucson is wonderful for many reasons, but stress free living is not one of them.

This is a good example of why "Places Rated" books and articles are to be taken with a grain of salt, and do your own research.

When I was preparing to leave Seattle many years ago, after 180 consecutive days of NO SUN EVER FOR 6 MONTHS I got the brand new, just released "Places Rated Almanac." I don't know where they got their stats, but I lived in that area for 30+ years and it was no where near as "sunny" as they reported. I even considered the "sun belt", Sequim, but every time I went there it was gray, raining, and the locals told me it had been for a while. Granted, when it's sunny in Seattle it is quite glorious.

Tucson, in the short time I've been here, has grown in crime, drug cartels, homelssness, poverty, constant police activity (like living in a Lethal Weapon movie), border problems, drug addictions. It's becoming a melting pot. One my question my opinion since I"ve only been here about 2 years and would be right to do so. However, I've worked with the homeless, drug addicts, etc. as above, while here; I've walked around the city, taken classes, been involved, and talked to those who've lived here a lifetime. Tucson is not "laid back."

Add to all that the nearly 3 months or more of tripple-digit temperatures. I like to hole up in my house so it's easier for me; those who have regular jobs and school really suffer.

I've seen some of the poorest, least safe driving I've seen anywhere I've lived or traveled or driven in the US and abroad. I drive as little as possible, simply because there are so many, many careless car accidents, and pedestrians run over as well. It's like a vortex for that sort of thing.

However, being surrounded by mts. is wonderful, the short winter is glorious "what we get in exchange for the terrible summer, and worth it" say some; there are good bookstores, cafes, diverse culture.

Interesting, yes. Laid back, no--unless you like provincial and click-ish, which the old-timers have explained to me is how Tucson is. I'm inclined to agree; people aren't all that friendly and open. That's fine--I smile and say hi regardless
Sorry, but the article is right, right, right! Actually... Tucson is the best place on planet earth for most people who live here. There are those of us who could care less about everybody else's obligatory problems with local politics, local traffic problems, local crime, or other local food-fights of any type. Not that we wouldn't get involved... many of us have and do... but, we have no reason to broadcast and inflict our pain on others on a daily basis about everything. What's the point? Ever heard of live and let live?

We love our mountains, lizards, mesquite trees, javelinas, and all things southwest... etc, etc. The people here are wonderful and helpful and very friendly - those who truly care to be here, that is! Anyone else, who cares?

Compared to so many other sardine-packed cities all across America with all of their attached, continuous problems, Tucson is indeed "laid back"!

We love Tucson!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:52 PM

2,593 posts, read 1,897,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Too funny.

Well done AARP! What Tucson really needs is more retired people voting against education funding!
I cracked up when I saw this until I saw the AARP did the list.

It was a stressful hell for me and anyone else I knew in my age bracket that was trying to make a living. It may be good for retired people, but for educated people trying to start a career, it sucks!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I cracked up when I saw this until I saw the AARP did the list.

It was a stressful hell for me and anyone else I knew in my age bracket that was trying to make a living. It may be good for retired people, but for educated people trying to start a career, it sucks!
Aren't you glad you moved out and moved on with your life? No more stress now? I'm proud of you!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Aren't you glad you moved out and moved on with your life? No more stress now? I'm proud of you!
So glad I meet your approval.

I am less stressed though. I hated that overpriced overheated desert. My blood pressure has dropped 10 points since moving, and I actually can sleep through the night without breaking out in a sweat.

Unfortunately, I have to go back for Thanksgiving

Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
So glad I meet your approval.

I am less stressed though. I hated that overpriced overheated desert. My blood pressure has dropped 10 points since moving, and I actually can sleep through the night without breaking out in a sweat.

Unfortunately, I have to go back for Thanksgiving
Is there any way Thanxgiving can be FedEx'ed over to you?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Is there any way Thanxgiving can be FedEx'ed over to you?
Get my in-laws to go to Chicago. I'd happily have them here.

sigh..............

Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Get my in-laws to go to Chicago. I'd happily have them here.

sigh..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson