U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
Default Young family needs some advice on moving to Tucson

Hi, I have seen all the threads posted on relocation to Tucson and am pleased to learn that the area we are thinking of has come up a few times - Oro Valley. Can anyone suggest any:
1. Good private and or charter schools for my 6 year old?
2. A good website or contact to help us find temporary accomidation, we are looking to rent a house until we find a house to buy, and so far have not found anything that would work for us.
3. A website or magazine to look out for that has children's activities and classes (like ballet, tennis, et all), employing a nanny, and general Tucson Family information. We have 3 small children so will need to make sure I have the full scoop on what is going on.
4. A good recruiter or headhunter to contact for senior management (my husband is currently a director of a Mental Health Charity here and will be looking for work once we land).
5. Any other helpful advice you have on moving to Tucson.

Thank you for your time,
Coryanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM

936 posts, read 1,224,325 times
There are two private schools that I know of. Palo Verde Christian and Casas Adobe School both are chistian based schools, both are excellent. My daughter went to Palo Verde many years ago.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 PM

For Rental info go to the Tucson MLS. Just check the "rental" box and put in your other parameters, Oro Valley etc. Those will all be through a licensed realtor or a management company. Craigs list is very popular for renting from individuals. The MLS search will have pictures which is a nice feature.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM

124 posts, read 139,063 times
As probably you know by now Tucson is a city, that with the neighboring towns, is about 1 million people, therefore keep in mind that distance are far, there are many private schools in the area of North West Tucson/Oro Valley, my wife went to Soffolk hills, today is known as Immaculate hearts (catholic school) very good and not to far from Oro Valley, depending where in Oro Valley you will be, however my suggestion will be to google "private schools Tucson" or "charter schools tucson" and that will give you an idea of what is there and requierement.
Pretty much, thanks to internet, you can find anything and everything you need in the net, google, google and google, it will be faster than anybody here giving you a particular website, that might not be what you want anyway.
Right now, today, monsoon season is here, humid, no problem for you coming from England, but when you add 100 degrees F. then you will be dying, if you wait until mid to end of September you will not feel to bad and by the time next summer comes around you will be more aclimated, in my opinion winter here lasts 3 weeks, compare to Madrid, London or Exeter, I lived in all of those cities for a few years and know winters there, now the rest of the year is spring/summer, you can not go wrong there, I dislike snow and cold freezing weather.
Anyway, good luck in you searches and good choice with Tucson, oh, and why the way your husband might not have a bad time looking for a job in the health industry, again google and start some connections before you even get here that way you/he might even have a job by the time you arrive at the airport.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 PM

430 posts, read 743,522 times
The Vail School District is awesome. We miss it. We were in Tucson for 10 years, loved it, hope to come back soon.

Nice subdivison for homes, Sierra Morado or Mesquite Ranch, which is in the Vail School District, but still close enough to the city and highway for easy commuting. Well, unless you work in the Northwest. I-10 is a mess and will be for about 5 more years.

Here is a good website to find out about family activities.
Kids520 | Kids Activities, Summer Camps, Family Events, Field Trips, Birthday Parties, Restaurants, Day Care, Shopping, Family Vacations, Deals and Discounts!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 AM

124 posts, read 139,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
.....I-10 is a mess and will be for about 5 more years....
I am glad to anounce to ruready1st, that I-10 is ahead of schedule and already open and functioning as of a couple of weeks ago, alleluya!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The Vail School District is awesome. We miss it. We were in Tucson for 10 years, loved it, hope to come back soon.

Nice subdivison for homes, Sierra Morado or Mesquite Ranch, which is in the Vail School District, but still close enough to the city and highway for easy commuting. Well, unless you work in the Northwest. I-10 is a mess and will be for about 5 more years.

!
NEWS FLASH = I-10 is done

Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM

37 posts, read 55,501 times
Quote:

Here is a good website to find out about family activities.
Kids520 | Kids Activities, Summer Camps, Family Events, Field Trips, Birthday Parties, Restaurants, Day Care, Shopping, Family Vacations, Deals and Discounts!
I live in one of these developments. I agree. Vail district is awesome and I would much rather have my kids here than put them in any other school in Tucson. They also just built an elementary and junior high behind mesquite ranch so school is within walking distance.

We're moving to florida. Want to buy our home lol

Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 4,366,549 times
Default More questions than answers

Is there a particular reason why you think your child needs a private school? While I wouldn't say any Arizona school district is in the same class as schools in many other states (due to severe underfunding of education in general throughout the state), as Arizona schools go, the Northwest suburbs of Tucson are top-rated. If you are going to go the private/charter school route, most of the schools will have strict religious ties. The more conservative citizens of Tucson tend to be very church-going and their zeal to promote their faith to the young leads to a very strong religious school movement. If you're not tied to an organized religion, you definitely should consider public schooling.

Oro Valley is a fine-looking community with mostly new homes, but you'll find little diversity and limited cultural opportunities, although they do have a wonderful public library. Children's activities will emphasize sports.

Taxes tend to be higher in Oro Valley than some other suburban Tucson areas. Residents pay especially high premiums for water and fire-fighting. While there certainly are young families in Oro Valley, the town has a huge population of retirees.

As for that looking-for-a-job issue, give yourself WAY more time than you think it should take. I moved here before the current economic crash and everyone told me I would have no problem getting a job, Tucson was booming, etc. Well, the boom is definitely over and job-hunting here is a very, very long slog. Healthcare is a better field than most, although budget cuts are the norm there as elsewhere. The preponderance of elderly people here leads to a strong need for healthcare-related careers. But since your husband is in management, the positions could be limited.

Might I suggest you rent a home for awhile before you buy. As you may already know, Tucson is spread out over a very large area (Pima County is the size of the state of Connecticut). You wouldn't want to buy in Oro Valley and then find out your husband's only job prospect is in a far southern suburb or he'll have a massive daily commute.

I moved to Tucson (about 3 miles outside OV) due to family reasons and I've been here three years now. While there are some things to praise, I don't plan to stay once my responsibilities here are complete. My biggest misconception about Tucson was related to it being the home of the University of Arizona. I'm from the eastern U.S., where colleges tend to provide rich opportunities for the residents of the towns they are in. I do not find this to be true of the U of A. While Tucson residents are certainly encouraged to attend (i.e. buy tickets to) sporting events, other school activities are not promoted at all within the community.

My overall experience has been that while Tucson is big in size, it's a pretty sleepy hamlet in character. If you're into nature-related activities such as hiking, camping, bike riding, etc., you'll probably love it. If your children keep you totally occupied, you might not be that much in need of cultural stimulation. And if you luck into a good job, you might readily find a peer group that you would enjoy. So your experience here might be much different than mine.

In any case, best of luck to you.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM

153 posts, read 316,091 times
Oro Valley is beautiful, however, it is somewhat far from Downtown. Public transportation compared to London's is like something out of the Flinstones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson