U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM

133 posts, read 313,876 times
Default Positive Remarks and Feedback on Tucson

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere-so bear with me. I'd LOVE to see some positive and encouraging feedback and remarks about Tucson for a change. Surely not everything is horrendous there-I've not lived there since 2005, and would love to move back. But all I seem to find in forums is bashing and making Tucson seem to be the gateway to Hell. Come on folks-please bring some light to what I always considered to be a great town. And yes-I lived near the infamous Grant/Alvernon intersection and lived to tell the tale ! For 6 WHOLE YEARS-OMG a real live survivor ! Please-try and build up a good feel for Tucson again if humanly possible. Thanks for humoring me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 57,224 times
Live on a decent side of town and there's absolutely nothing bad to say. I think it's just people who live on bad sides, or very close to them.

It is annoying that teenagers feel the need to spray paint things and all other sorts of vandalism.

I have lived in Tucson for most of my life. The things that bother me are no beaches, but we do drive to san diego, just wish water was closer. And not that nasty patagonia or the wading pools in Mt. Lemon. There are no real theme parks close, once again, california.
We don't really have seasons, although it has snowed every winter at my house for the past 3 years. Awesome Nothing prettier than a desert covered in white snow. It's like seeing a unicorn, it's that rare! ha

Really it's a good town. There's lots to see and things you can't see aren't TOO far away.
I still think the houses are good prices, especially in vail, just gotta drive a bit to get to the mall
Lots of culture and for the most part people are really friendly.

I just wish there was more water and it was greener. That is why we accepted orders to florida, but I will still miss my home, Tucosn.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM

So a positive would be, Vail school district and a few charter/private options!
Trust me, I know people in other parts of Arizona and it's sad what they're kids aren't learning.
So this really is a positive!

And we're only a few hours from Sedona. If you haven't been, go now! It is such a beautiful place.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-31-2009 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: Quoted portion has been deleted.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 15,400,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere-so bear with me. I'd LOVE to see some positive and encouraging feedback and remarks about Tucson for a change. Surely not everything is horrendous there-I've not lived there since 2005, and would love to move back. But all I seem to find in forums is bashing and making Tucson seem to be the gateway to Hell. Come on folks-please bring some light to what I always considered to be a great town. And yes-I lived near the infamous Grant/Alvernon intersection and lived to tell the tale ! For 6 WHOLE YEARS-OMG a real live survivor ! Please-try and build up a good feel for Tucson again if humanly possible. Thanks for humoring me.
Ok, Ohnonot . . . here goes.

Having lived from Southern Florida to Southern California and many places in between, I am convinced there is no perfect place to live, however, after almost 12 years in Tucson . . . I am still Fat, Dumb and Happy right here with no plans to leave.

The weather is as perfect as possible and the small town (aka: cowtown) ambiance is contagious.

Unfortunately, many individuals are only happy dwelling on the negatives while ignoring the positives.

RETURN . . . you won't be sorry.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:09 PM

7,047 posts, read 2,697,959 times
Default Positive Remarks and Feedback on Tucson

You live north of the Mexican Border.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM

63 posts, read 143,356 times
I just got back from Tucson very late this morning and I would love to chime in on some positives about the area and the wonderful and productive trip that I had.

People (for the most part) are extraordinarily friendly. On two occassions, I was eating in restaurants and people (customers or employees) who I were talking with sat down with me and just started shooting the breeze as if we had been life-long friends. That was quite refreshing.

I have only been here three times and I have already made some great friends, good contacts, and lined up some part-time work. I have met some really great people who are from all over. I guess I am a social animal. Now if I can stop being a big fat chicken and meet some more women?

Coming from the DC/Baltimore Metro area, I have been stunned as to how light the traffic is. People seem much less agressive and in a hurry here in/around Tucson. Take it from me, driving the Beltway around DC/Baltimore will shave years off of your life.

The lightning shows as I was landing in Tucson on Tuesday night and driving around Friday night were awesome.

If you want a good, cheap meal, try Los Betos (sp?). I ate three rolled tacos, nachos with salsa and a medium drink for under $4 bucks-WOW!

The drive up to Mt. Lemmon was magical, to say the least. I could not believe how much cooler 9000 ft. elevation feels as compared to the desert valley. It felt like being in Western Montana again. Riding the ski lift was worth the $9 bucks that I paid. I was stunned to find dense green alpine and juniper forest and grass.

The drive to Old Tucson Studios was also incredible. I thought I was going to need toilet paper coming down and around those hairpin turns right by the edge. I arrived too late to check out the studios, but the drive there was worth it.

If I could share a couple of very minute compalints/advice for visitors residents that would be these:

-If you have to pee really badly, do not go to any of the smaller Circle K's. They do not have public restrooms.

-Ignore the people asking for money outside of the Circle K's. A guy asked me for a couple of bucks. Being the nice guy I am, I instead offered to buy him something to drink or eat. He agreed. So, I bought him something to drink and brought it out to him. Instead of thanking me, he immediately asks me for a couple of bucks, WTF?

Other than that, the positives far outweigh the negatives as one can see.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM

3,358 posts, read 4,729,318 times
great remarks by Kurgan...thanks

I like that there's no pretentiousness here....if some decked-out trophy wife from Scottsdale came traipsing into some Tucson store, demanding immediate service, she'd be laughed into shame....we's just ain't that way down here in Baja Arizona.....take off your coat and sit a spell

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-31-2009 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Quoted portion has been removed

Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM

641 posts, read 1,225,467 times
I love the way the sun feels here. That might sound stupid, but it's true.

Mountains.

Sunsets.

Hiking, camping, picnicking is close.

Bats live under the overpasses.

Buses and bike lanes and crosswalks and - heck - even sidewalks I'm grateful for.

Circle-K. I'm sure the delight of this will ware off pretty quick, but I find the convenience of these... well, convenience stores infinite.

Mexican food.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM

68 posts, read 60,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I just got back from Tucson very late this morning and I would love to chime in on some positives about the area and the wonderful and productive trip that I had.

People (for the most part) are extraordinarily friendly. On two occassions, I was eating in restaurants and people (customers or employees) who I were talking with sat down with me and just started shooting the breeze as if we had been life-long friends. That was quite refreshing.

I have only been here three times and I have already made some great friends, good contacts, and lined up some part-time work. I have met some really great people who are from all over. I guess I am a social animal. Now if I can stop being a big fat chicken and meet some more women?

Coming from the DC/Baltimore Metro area, I have been stunned as to how light the traffic is. People seem much less agressive and in a hurry here in/around Tucson. Take it from me, driving the Beltway around DC/Baltimore will shave years off of your life.

The lightning shows as I was landing in Tucson on Tuesday night and driving around Friday night were awesome.

If you want a good, cheap meal, try Los Betos (sp?). I ate three rolled tacos, nachos with salsa and a medium drink for under $4 bucks-WOW!

The drive up to Mt. Lemmon was magical, to say the least. I could not believe how much cooler 9000 ft. elevation feels as compared to the desert valley. It felt like being in Western Montana again. Riding the ski lift was worth the $9 bucks that I paid. I was stunned to find dense green alpine and juniper forest and grass.

The drive to Old Tucson Studios was also incredible. I thought I was going to need toilet paper coming down and around those hairpin turns right by the edge. I arrived too late to check out the studios, but the drive there was worth it.

If I could share a couple of very minute compalints/advice for visitors residents that would be these:

-If you have to pee really badly, do not go to any of the smaller Circle K's. They do not have public restrooms.

-Ignore the people asking for money outside of the Circle K's. A guy asked me for a couple of bucks. Being the nice guy I am, I instead offered to buy him something to drink or eat. He agreed. So, I bought him something to drink and brought it out to him. Instead of thanking me, he immediately asks me for a couple of bucks, WTF?

Other than that, the positives far outweigh the negatives as one can see.
That's a fantastic post. Having the dry desert heat and those beautiful mountain peaks within driving distance for the blast of cool air must be heaven on earth. Makes me want to move to Tucson.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM

Yeah, the drive to old tucson or desert museum is enough to scare the crap out of you!
Also try coming up the corner when you get to colossal cave. Especially in a large SUV. My kids were even scared and nothing 'adventurous' scares kids lol!
But it's fun and totally worth it.

Having mt. Lemon to drive up in the summer to cool off is priceless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson