Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM

44 posts, read 123,178 times

Advertisements

I'm sure these questions are redundant, but my husband and I have been longing to retire to Tucson for 10 long years and the time has finally come. But first we need an honest assessment of cost of living. We haven't been able to fly out in a while and I am curious about all the development going on--not sure how I feel about it.

First, what are real estate taxes based upon? If we buy a house for a modest price in a better neighborhood, will our taxes be assessed on the sale price or the average assessment for the neighborhood?

What does home owner's insurance run? What about car? What do utilities average, including water [we hate lawns]?

Can a retired couple make it on 56K a year? We are young retirees so we are afraid the cost of living will out pace our life span.

Most importantly, we worry about culture. Is Tucson still the funky, open hearted, spiritual place I remember?

I see that there has been development in the southwest and that safety issues are a concern in that region. Is there a way I could research crime stats? Is there anyone frank enough to tell me why buying in the San Xavier del Balc area is a bad idea? We love the Tucson Mountains and the west and San Xavier. We have no concerns about living in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood provided it is decent and middle classed. However we are realists--we've lived 20 years in New Orleans, which is very mixed, very integrated so even though we live in an affluent section, housing projects and section 8 housing is a mere 10 minute walk away. All the crime here is gang related, with kids murdering one another just blocks away, yet we have never had any trouble.

I would so gladly appreciate any information and tips anyone can give me. If anyone could recommend some modestly priced [under 180K] neighborhoods that are pleasant to live in, that would be great. We are not materialistic people, so we wouldn't fit in with people who are.

Again, thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerdux View Post
However we are realists--we've lived 20 years in New Orleans, which is very mixed, very integrated so even though we live in an affluent section, housing projects and section 8 housing is a mere 10 minute walk away.
If you have lived for 20 years in New Orleans, you should be fearless anywhere you go! No place can possibly compare... Tucson most certainly does not.

NOLA is the only place I wish I never wasted time and money to visit!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 PM

68 posts, read 207,864 times
Wow, where to start, the crime rates are getting worse in the under privledged neighborhoods. It's a sad thing to see the amount of crime that has been uprising in the last year. As a realtor I would recommend living in the east side of Tucson. The Rita Ranch area is great for families and they have the best school districts. Since you are retirees, you really don't have to worry about the school districts. There is a great development closer to the mountains called Rancho Del Lago and they have a adult community there that is getting great reviews. The crime issue isn't going away anytime soon, every area in Tucson has crime, some more than the others.

As far as expenses, 56K should be enought to live off of. Homeowners insurance is about an averga eof $50 a month, and water is only about 30-40 a month. Now depending on your style of a vehicle, that all depends on how much you spend. Car insurance is usualy cheaper here in Tucson then what is in Phoenix. With how hot Tucson is, your electric bill will always be higher in the summer than in the winter. I don't ever put my heat on in the winter, I just wear warmer clothes.

I love the areas and the scenaries in Tucson, I enjoy going to Mt. Lemmon, Sonoita for a great wine tasting. You are only an 1 1/2 from Phoenix, 3 hours from Rocky Point Mexico. Tubac is a artist dream, as they have many cultural events a couple times a month.

I hope this answers your questions, and if you have anymore please let me know.

Thanks
Michael

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM

153 posts, read 522,254 times
I think taxes, cost of living, housing is pretty okey compared to other parts of the country. I think the issues are with other stuff. It seems to me the city is in a stand still. I visited Albuquerque last week and I was amazed with the amount of construction going on. The city was vibrant, energetic, clean, excellent infrastructure, etc. I moved to Albuquerque in 1995 from DC. Tucson today is what Albuquerque was back then. However, its a beautiful city, Tucson is, and has great potential in the right hands.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 123,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If you have lived for 20 years in New Orleans, you should be fearless anywhere you go! No place can possibly compare... Tucson most certainly does not.

NOLA is the only place I wish I never wasted time and money to visit!
Thanks for loving NOLA! During our Katrina evacuation we found that most people we met were extremely hostile about the city.

We would never leave, but the climate it tough on old back surgeries and the cost of living is as high as Manhattan. The hurricane season is also extremely stressful...we have four cats and a Toyota Echo! All our family are in the Northeast.

Please continue to visit. New Orleans is a deep city---the history of this place is some story. I live around the block from the Kate Chopin house--amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson