Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 36,153 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a 12 year old son and who needs to relocate. She has a serious disease, that is definitely not holding her back from doing anything, but she definitely needs to move somewhere with warm weather all year long. She's considered the southwest area of FL because the cost of living is so reasonable, but the people that are taking part in those threads have nothing but negative things to say. The unemployment is horrible and the jobs that you can get, barely pay enough to get by on. They complain about heat and humidity and old people (which really makes me laugh because DUH! It's Florida). So I've been reading about Tuscon and people seem to really like it for the most part. Is there a scene for singles in their young 30's? Is the economy doing okay, or at least steady? I mean, if she's going to move from NJ where it's cold, and people are miserable and mean, she might as well go after what's best for her all around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM

31 posts, read 94,691 times
Default Lived in SW FL for many years

SW FL (in my opinion) is not the place for someone with a pulse. Oops! Sorry, I know some people love it. I spent 7 years there and this is what I can tell you; it's very transient more so than Tucson. Unless you like the bar, bike, beach scene (which gets old after a while), there's nothing else to do. Most restaurants and stores close from May until January because the tourists truly own Florida. There's always a water shortage and who told you it was reasonably priced?? I was paying $950 a month for a one bedroom, one bath, no garage, no reserved parking space and no beach. Gasoline is almost always $.20+ higher per gallon than Tucson and ... wait until hurricane season. You may think you know hurricanes because you've lived in tornado alley but nothing can prepare you for a hurricane. 6 lanes of interstate all redirected north and no one is moving. Cars running out of fuel, can't move and a storm that covers an entire state is heading your way. No thanks! Been there, done that...bought a bus ticket out of town!

If your friend is comparing city data on the internet I can tell you for a fact it is wrong. SW Florida even in the moderately priced areas is very expensive. Crime is growing and the drug trade has a firm hold even in the outer areas. I'll take Tucson any day. It makes me laugh when I hear people moaning about property taxes. I paid 3 times as much for a condo worth 3 times less in Florida.

I'd choose Tucson!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,758 times
I have friends in Florida. From what thry tell me it is very depressing. It is (from what they say) the worst place for forclosed homes, and there are no jobs. My friends are retired so they don't need to worry about work.

I have been there, IMO the weather is the worst. It is always very humid. If that doesn't bother you, then you may like it. I have allergies to mold so Florida is definately the last place I want to be.

Hurricanes. Many homes in sothern Florida are 17 years old or newer because hurricane Andrew destroyed so much. I personally wouldn't live anywhere hurricanes always hit. If you live in the central part of the state you have bad tornadoes to deal with. I have lived int he western Chicago suburbs all of my life and I have never even seen a tornado. (except in TV)

Many people say that if you have bad arthritis dry heat is what you want. I know some people that retired to Mesa for that reason.

I may be biased but my pick is Tucson.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,944 times
Default I would choose AZ

This is true. I lived in the Ft.Lauderdale / Miami area for 11 years. I was a Mortgage Broker so I know my real estate! The jobs are scarce, the cost of living (even on Tampa side) is very high, and it is crowded! The good side is, you have beautiful beaches, a variety of culture and food, great entertainment.
I lived in Sierra Vista (45 min. south of Tucson) and LOVED it!! It was about 13 years ago but I loved the desert, the mountains, old adobe houses, etc. I am actually moving back there in June. I am 31 and a single mom so I have done a lot of research as well. There are plenty of jobs and the cost of living is very reasonable.
If you have health issues, the Arizona air is good for you!
I choose and am choosing myself......ARIZONA!!

Just go to Realtor.com and compare cost of living on houses/ condos, you will see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssunfish View Post
SW FL (in my opinion) is not the place for someone with a pulse. Oops! Sorry, I know some people love it. I spent 7 years there and this is what I can tell you; it's very transient more so than Tucson. Unless you like the bar, bike, beach scene (which gets old after a while), there's nothing else to do. Most restaurants and stores close from May until January because the tourists truly own Florida. There's always a water shortage and who told you it was reasonably priced?? I was paying $950 a month for a one bedroom, one bath, no garage, no reserved parking space and no beach. Gasoline is almost always $.20+ higher per gallon than Tucson and ... wait until hurricane season. You may think you know hurricanes because you've lived in tornado alley but nothing can prepare you for a hurricane. 6 lanes of interstate all redirected north and no one is moving. Cars running out of fuel, can't move and a storm that covers an entire state is heading your way. No thanks! Been there, done that...bought a bus ticket out of town!

If your friend is comparing city data on the internet I can tell you for a fact it is wrong. SW Florida even in the moderately priced areas is very expensive. Crime is growing and the drug trade has a firm hold even in the outer areas. I'll take Tucson any day. It makes me laugh when I hear people moaning about property taxes. I paid 3 times as much for a condo worth 3 times less in Florida.

I'd choose Tucson!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan78 View Post
I have a friend who has a 12 year old son and who needs to relocate. She has a serious disease, that is definitely not holding her back from doing anything, but she definitely needs to move somewhere with warm weather all year long. She's considered the southwest area of FL because the cost of living is so reasonable, but the people that are taking part in those threads have nothing but negative things to say. The unemployment is horrible and the jobs that you can get, barely pay enough to get by on. They complain about heat and humidity and old people (which really makes me laugh because DUH! It's Florida). So I've been reading about Tuscon and people seem to really like it for the most part. Is there a scene for singles in their young 30's? Is the economy doing okay, or at least steady? I mean, if she's going to move from NJ where it's cold, and people are miserable and mean, she might as well go after what's best for her all around!
Basically a "no brainer" here, PhilliesFan.

Although many years ago, I "experienced" Florida and have been a resident of Tucson for the last twelve years now.

Rather clueless on the current employment conditions for either state but I do know it was always rather lopsided in Florida as the pay scale rarely matched the cost of living.

As for the weather . . . Tucson wins hands down compared to Florida mainly due to the lack of humidity. The "It's A Dry Heat" slogan takes on a whole new meaning with a simple visit to most places east of the Rockies. The humidity is a killer and tends to force most of us indoors for the majority of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson