U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM

241 posts, read 381,806 times
Default Tucson area new homes on 1/4+ acres

Can anyone comment on new construction in the Tucson, Vail, Sahuarita or Oro Valley areas? Are there any builders who build on larger than cookie cutter size lots? My wife and I have been to the Tucson area twice now and have looked at a lot of houses from Lennar, Pulte, etc. We liked the floor plans and amenities but were put off by the size of the lots. Do you have to have a custom home builder and a piece of land to get something on a 1/2 acre lot? We would be looking in the $250,000-$300,000 price range. Can you get a custom built home for that kind of money on that size lot out there? Now that the weather is getting cold here we really start to think about your wonderful winters that you have out there. Everything here will be dead and brown for the next 7 months. Getting tired of the look. Beautiful in the summer but this year we only had about 2 weeks of summer ha ha ha. I work at Raytheon so the relocation idea is quite realistic. OK enough for now. Have fun in the sun. Hoping to join you all soon.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:58 AM

913 posts, read 1,135,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Can anyone comment on new construction in the Tucson, Vail, Sahuarita or Oro Valley areas? Are there any builders who build on larger than cookie cutter size lots? My wife and I have been to the Tucson area twice now and have looked at a lot of houses from Lennar, Pulte, etc. We liked the floor plans and amenities but were put off by the size of the lots. Do you have to have a custom home builder and a piece of land to get something on a 1/2 acre lot? We would be looking in the $250,000-$300,000 price range. Can you get a custom built home for that kind of money on that size lot out there? Now that the weather is getting cold here we really start to think about your wonderful winters that you have out there. Everything here will be dead and brown for the next 7 months. Getting tired of the look. Beautiful in the summer but this year we only had about 2 weeks of summer ha ha ha. I work at Raytheon so the relocation idea is quite realistic. OK enough for now. Have fun in the sun. Hoping to join you all soon.......
There is only one tract home builder here that I am aware of that builds on that large of lot. They build on 3/4 acre lots, but pricing starts at 350K. They will also build one of their floorplans on your lot if you happen to have a particular lot you want to build on. Using the criteria of New Construction, a lot > 22,000 sq ft (1/2 ac), price under 300K, for the entire Tucson MLS there were only 11 homes that came up. None would be a very short commute to Raytheon, they all are very rural areas. A few that are in Rio Rico might be the closest commute wise to Raytheon. And Rio Rico is a quite charming place if you like the quiter non city lifestyle. If you expand the same search to 2005 or newer home, there is 115 homes to choose from. Once again though most in outlying areas of the Tucson metro area. Moderator cut: against TOS for realtors . If the builder with the 3/4 ac lots is of any interest I should still have some packets of their floorplans etc. at my office that I could send you. Good luck in your venture!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-21-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Unread 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM

7,566 posts, read 14,152,819 times
No expert or even in the same league with Rick, Brrrinmass . . .

However, from my experience, in order to satisfy your wants you'll need to search for an older home in an established neighborhood and avoid anything built within the last decade or so.

There are some beautiful well maintained older homes with substantially more than a postage stamp size lot. Another plus is the older homes have character and personality compared to the newer "cookie cutter homes" that have become so common here lately.

WELCOME to the Desert Southwest and GOOD LUCK!

Unread 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

When we were there last year we saw some homes on 3/4 acre lots going down towards Sahuarita. Not exactly sure where they were, it has been a long time. It just seemed that we were way out in the desert. Dirt roads and such to get to the development. The wife was not too keen on that. She said "no way am I living out here". I think it was somewhere near Sahuarita Road. I have also been told in the past to look in the Vail area. Any truth to that?

Unread 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
When we were there last year we saw some homes on 3/4 acre lots going down towards Sahuarita. Not exactly sure where they were, it has been a long time. It just seemed that we were way out in the desert. Dirt roads and such to get to the development. The wife was not too keen on that. She said "no way am I living out here". I think it was somewhere near Sahuarita Road. I have also been told in the past to look in the Vail area. Any truth to that?
I agree with your wife, Brrr.

Unread 11-22-2009, 10:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,149,655 times
My sister-in-law works at Raytheon and they live out in Sahuarita. They love the area and the houses out there are stupid-cheap these days, but it is a pretty far drive and their lot (and everyone else's around them) are tiny. We drove around out there once - it's a huuuuge maze of a neighborhood, miles and miles of nothing but similar-looking houses - and they all looked to be about the same for lot size, varied to accommodate larger or smaller houses.

I always thought it was pretty standard for tract housing developments to have small lots. You know, like it was kind of the trade off for... living far too close to your neighbors, everyone getting lost in a vortex trying to find your house amongst dozens that look exactly the same, cheap construction and neutral-shade everything.

Er, I mean.. a trade off for trendy kitchens?

Unread 11-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Why are the houses all on such tiny lots? Is it just the builders trying to squeeze what they can out of a given piece of land? We live on an acre here in Massachusetts and it is nice to have a little breathing room between you and your neighbor. Now granted we are not adverse to having a smaller tract of land (less maintenance) but to go from 43,000 sq. ft. to 6000 sq.ft. seems a little extreme. We did like the Sahuarita area very much. We are not city people and we found it was only about a 20 minute commute to Raytheon (air port site), if I remember correctly. Does that sound about right to you all? Thanks for all the help you guys.

Unread 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Why are the houses all on such tiny lots? Is it just the builders trying to squeeze what they can out of a given piece of land? We live on an acre here in Massachusetts and it is nice to have a little breathing room between you and your neighbor. Now granted we are not adverse to having a smaller tract of land (less maintenance) but to go from 43,000 sq. ft. to 6000 sq.ft. seems a little extreme. We did like the Sahuarita area very much. We are not city people and we found it was only about a 20 minute commute to Raytheon (air port site), if I remember correctly. Does that sound about right to you all? Thanks for all the help you guys.
Since suburban land out here is not all that scarce, Brrrinmass, I believe GREED is the primary reason for homes being squeezed together. Many homes in some of the newer "cookie cutter" developments are literally built on the lot lines on one side which means about six feet from the neighboring home.

As for 20 minutes from Sahuarita to Raytheon . . . were you in a helicopter?

! ! ! ! ! !

Unread 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM

641 posts, read 1,149,655 times
It's greed, yeah. If you have ten acres and can put one house on each acre, you make 10million, but if you can put a house on each quarter or half acre, you double or quadruple your millions of moolahs.

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM

3,182 posts, read 4,152,724 times
small lots allow more people to afford a home, but, yeah, there is more profit for the builder, too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson