Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,724 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am a 24-year old college guy from Tampa considering a move for U of A. Long story short I love the weather and landscape of AZ and have no issue there.

Downside is Tucson seems like one big suburb to me, so much mindless sprawl. I like to hang out/party/people watch in nice urban areas where you're not stuck in a strip mall and can bar hop etc. Neighborhoods with a bit of color and "edge." From my questions/research places like this seem to be:

4th Ave (VERY nice, like it)

Main Gate (cute and adjacent to University)

Congress Street (DT Tucson seems nice)

My question for you guys is, are there any other urban and walkable neighborhoods/districts in Tucson? I am spoiled here in Tampa by tons of areas like this. Thank you for your input everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I see you made exactly the same post in the Phoenix forum, with respect to considering ASU. I think you've identified the main areas in both places (along with the other ones posted on the Phx thread), so good luck with whichever you choose!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
There are some pockets here and there - Restaurant Raw on Tanque Verde, La Encantada, St. Phillip's Plaza, Plaza Palomino, etc., but nothing else in the real "urban" sense.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
as observer noted, it appears you may be considering both ASWho? and the U of A....

Tucson is much smaller than the Phx area and somewhat less sophisticated, if that's important to you....frankly, a little poorer-feeling than the Phx area, on average....I live here in Tucson most of the time and like the friendlier, slower-paced mood.....

4th Avenue is definitely urban and walkable, but not a wide-spread "region"....it has several good restaurants, bars, new and used clothing shops, "bead" shops, a couple gay/lesbian bars, Goodwill-type stuff....lots of pedestrians and some may even ask you for change!....close to downtown, UA, residential areas, but not a big area....

Main Gate is much more student oriented and not really an "urban" center (to me) despite being in the center of the urban area....more of a retail area serving the UA students/staff/faculty....certainly walkable and very central

downtown/Congress is obviously as urban as you can get, but is not a thriving 24/7 place....is busy during specific events, but not residential enough to have a 24/7 vibe....scattered galleries, bars, food places, but not enough residential.....

as with Phx and most Western towns, the town is very spread out...tight, urban, walkable neighborhoods are not as common as densely populated cities back East

Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I see you made exactly the same post in the Phoenix forum, with respect to considering ASU. I think you've identified the main areas in both places (along with the other ones posted on the Phx thread), so good luck with whichever you choose!
Stalker! I kid. At least my initial impressions were right then. No more interesting areas of Tucson? Again no more strip mall/suburban stuff.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 AM

Oh and that extremely bright colored complex in DT Tucson, what is that? I can't find anything on it other than pics, it's very vivid and every color imaginable, looks Native American-esque.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Oh and that extremely bright colored complex in DT Tucson, what is that? I can't find anything on it other than pics, it's very vivid and every color imaginable, looks Native American-esque.
you may be thinking of La Placita Village, an urban (there's that word again) renewal project from the late 1960s that has gone thru several owners and now is a tired, somewhat-empty office/restaurant complex....no residential there....looked good on paper, I guess.....

Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM

153 posts, read 522,299 times
I think the only real walkable place is Campus. And the trails out in the desert.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:34 AM

1. U of A

2. Main Gate

3. 4th Ave

4. Congress St.

Any other dense neighborhoods or districts for going out in?

Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
1. U of A

2. Main Gate

3. 4th Ave

4. Congress St.

Any other dense neighborhoods or districts for going out in?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson