U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM

37 posts, read 35,723 times
I guess the grass is always greener....I have only been here for a few weeks but I have to say the roads in Tucson are way better than the roads we had back in NH. I am amazed at the beauty of the bridges/overpasses etc. here in Tucson, back in NH it's just a bunch of rusty metal, we couldn't take our daughter or dogs for walks because of the missing sidewalks and gigantic potholes everywhere (seriously...it was too dangerous - and we lived in a pretty nice area!) I am also absolutely amazed by all of the things there are to do here. I guess it all depends on your perception of "things to do". I have never seen so many stores/restaurants etc. I had about 3 choices where I used to live, Applebees, Chili's or the 99. I love actually having to struggle to decide where to go have lunch or dinner. Maybe I will feel differently in a few years but right now Tucson is wonderful in my mind. Sure there are some bad spots, it's a huge city, it's bound to have some rough spots. I'm not into the "nightlife" so I can't really comment much on that. Like I said, the grass is always greener....this place has so many advantages over where I'm from there is no question in my mind, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to move back to NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM

713 posts, read 684,158 times
jdi77,
yes, roads are better than the east coast because east coast weather is brutal on roadways, cars, infrastructure, just about anything that is outside takes a beating from the east coast weather. the AZ sun is also very brutal on anything exposed to the sun, fabrics will fade and tear, pvc pipes will decompose, and the sun is no good for your eyes or skin, very harsh sun in AZ.

d.N.d. has it about right. Tucson is a dead city, there is no city growth and many/most (if not all) companies are leaving to better places (better tax breaks, etc), leaving AZ all-together, etc. there is no vision by local city or state folks. the best they can come up with is to widen I10 to allow more traffic, which is pass-through traffic. jobs are nill in Tucson, just go search monster and the like. medical is relatively big but with so many people needing a job even getting a job in medical is very tough.

have lived on/off in Tucson (marana) for 6 years. all i can say is its exactly as d.N.d. says it is. if slow and boring is what you like then Tucson is perfect. if you like something abit more upbeat then maybe (maybe) Phoenix. if you like faster paced with better things to do then Dallas, Altlanta, Chicago, NYC (or similar) would be much better choices, etc.

Tucson should be last on the list (unless you are a retiree, etc).

Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

25 posts, read 34,576 times
^ good point about I10. Outside people do not understand that Tucson and the surronding cities have no major connecting streets besides I10 outlying all of the cities. The next major metro is phoenix and the next major city is Sierra Vista.

There is no inbetween for the desert, water is sparce and cities pop up but not grow to potential. Tucson had a chance but they blew the opportunity for a new stadium to bring some sports/entertainment. They lost ALL of their spring training teams to phoenix, and even the Diamondbacks moved from the backyard of Tucson all the way to Reno because standards are sub-par here.

Truth be told if you have no interest in outdoors or hiking (with little lakes or water as a reward of the hike) and are single or a family then you will have no interest in Tucson.

Lastly, worst education system in the entire United States if not second to worse.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM

394 posts, read 446,059 times
OK, I am moving to Tucson next month to attend UA grad school. If you are associated with the school, you won't be bored. However, I did visit Tucson on 2 seperate occasions and did get the feeling that it is a rather "sleepy" (to put it nicely) town.

Yes, it does have great mountain landscapes and awesome sunsets, but there are tons of other places that have beauty and big city night life. Some of the recent negative posts are getting me kind of worried, but there is no backing out now (actually I could, and go to LA, but I would burn a whole bunch of bridges).

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM

16 posts, read 28,625 times
I lived in Tucson for four months ten years ago, and am taking great pains to move there next year. Basically, it has enough cultural and intellectual life to keep a diligent person occupied (unlike, say, South Florida where you can be as diligent as you want and still basically find nothing). But compared to the real centers of urban civilization in the US -- places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, or New York -- Tucson is tiny, both literally and figuratively. What it does have is the desert and the mountains. If you love the desert and mountains, with a little effort you'll find enough of the other attractions of civilized life to keep you occupied indefinitely. If you merely like, but don't LOVE the desert and the mountains, then, even despite the weather and the lower cost of living, you may not find it worth giving up the amenities of a large city to live there.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Ironically UA is the only place with some culture and probably the best part of Tucson. UA is a beautiful campus with Old Main, some museums and Tucson does attract big names for concerts and plays at UA. Also you have University drive with basic bars and a short walk to one of two night spots on 4th avenue.

Of course you have school work, friends and UA always has recreational sports and a very nice and big recreation center.

UofA is a bright spot of Tucson, however three miles in any direction from the University and you are looking at shady neighborhoods and ghetto.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM

385 posts, read 815,366 times
These are about 3 miles each direction from UA...really looks shady and ghetto to me

east | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/petetjjj/5882933399/in/photostream - broken link)

north | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/petetjjj/5883496856/in/photostream - broken link)

west | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/petetjjj/5882933169/in/photostream - broken link)

south | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/petetjjj/5883496564/in/photostream - broken link)

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM

What cross streets are those? Just curiosity because the last picture does look like a good neighborhood but what Tucson needs is not more cookie cutter homes, in my opinion.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,846,852 times
I have always liked Tucson but I live in Phoenix. Catch 22 - the good jobs are all up here in the Valley/Phx metro area - unless you luck out and land a good position with Raytheon.

Arizona like the rest of the country is depressed right now. Hard to land a work anywhere - a good gig even harder. This is not specific to Tucson.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 PM

3,178 posts, read 2,672,857 times
I heard U of A just landed a NASA contract?? Don't know if that's true, but I would imagine jobs would follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson