Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

amen. I have been here 9 yrs and it is one of those cities you get trapped in because you dont make enough to get out. I keep seeing oro valley as nice, sure. but it is north of the main city area and mostly upper middle class $150k- $200k homes. There is minimal employment because Tucson is in existence because of retirees and construction. And right now there isnt much construction at all. Also, traffic is absolutely HORRIBLE, and if you do not speak decent spanish you are the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
Default Perfect summary of Tucson!

I couldn't have said it any better. I have been here 9 yrs and it has absolutely nothing to offer other than go to work and go home! You can drive the hour or so to phoenix for concerts, the only sporting events are UofA relatedModerator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: racist comments

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Academy Village will put you closer to all the wineries down in Sonoita and Elgin. Makes for a nice day trip.
Sonoita / Elgin Wineries
Wow, thanks Rick. Who knew there were so many wineries near Tucson? This will be definitely make a fun day trip.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM

368 posts, read 638,644 times
i lived in both phoenix and tucson..and to be frank for a city of 4 million phoenix has little in the way of cultural superiority to tucson..

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times
If you are an outdoors person, there is plenty in Tucson. Frankly it is a gem of a city for hiking in that you can get on one of many trails in less than 30 minutes from in the city. Bring plenty of water though!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:39 AM

119 posts, read 293,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbluesman View Post
I couldn't have said it any better. I have been here 9 yrs and it has absolutely nothing to offer other than go to work and go home! You can drive the hour or so to phoenix for concerts, the only sporting events are UofA relatedModerator cut: snip
Just think of all the money you will save just going to work then to home!.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Wow, thanks Rick. Who knew there were so many wineries near Tucson? This will be definitely make a fun day trip.
And if you want to do an overnight wine excursion there are a bunch more up around Oak Creek Canyon area. Wine Trail Map- Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome
It's about a 4 hour drive each way. Not sure if you are familiar with the Oak Creek/Sedona area but here is a link. http://www.visitsedona.com/

Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli View Post
Tucson is a quirky place. A lot of the original people have a slightly altered view of what they need in life, like basically they get by with a little.
I think this is a good point. There's always a tricky balance between wanting nice things and letting your desire for those nice things consume you. At the same time, extreme simplicity isn't always a healthy thing, either, as it can breed low expectations which then lead to a low quality of life in terms of health and general well being. IMO, Tucson veers too far into the direction of "just barely getting by"/lack of ambition.

My biggest example of the "just getting by" mindset: People who didn't put any kind of landscaping in their front yards, and instead had bare dirt or ugy gray gravel (often with the car/truck parked in the front yard instead of in the driveway.) They would often call this the "natural desert". The natural desert is a lot greener than many Tucson yards.

I'm sure others will disagree, though.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-02-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
Tucson sucks. I live in the city itself, not the Foothills, not Oro Valley...in Tucson city limits. I've had wild cat dumping in the alley behind my house numerous times. And no, that does not mean a lynx or bobcat decided to use the alley as a kitty litter box. It means lazy people dumped furniture and junk behind my house and drove off. Numerous times. I've had people, just the last 2 weeks, cut in front of me in line. 2 different stores, 2 different occasions, 2 different idiots. How does this happen? [mod]snip[/mod]

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-22-2012 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
Let me put it this way, just before I moved here from Denver I had a coworker that moved to Tucson and back within 6 weeks. His report to me was, "It's a hole, don't move there".

I shoulda listened.

Tucson is slowly getting (slightly) better, but its biggest problem is that it still thinks it is and wants to be a small town. It isn't. On the other hand, it isn't as big as some of it's proponents want everyone to think it is. You will frequently hear that Tucson is, "a metro area of nearly a million people", it simply isn't.

Pima County is just under a million and Tucson proper is a little over 520,000 (2010 census, so I assume this does not include the seasonally variations brought on by the snow-birds and students).

The city is wildly mismanaged (see the Modern Street Car, Rio Nuevo, Spring Training, etc...), the citizens will not vote to improve the the infrastructure with the possible exception of RTA which is really only going to improve things to where they should have been 10 years ago (it would be an additional 5-10 years behind the times if the housing bubble hadn't burst), there is no cross-town highway AND we have a state legislature that likes to bring down their iron first on Tucson any time we do something they don't approve of.

I don't know if it's "that bad", but it sure ain't great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson