Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 171,337 times

Advertisements

I just moved here December 1st and I am very happy living here. Still need to find work but I do have a couple of bites. I can't remember where I was where I happened to catch a local news breaking story about a drug bust and the street names were very close to where I live but I never saw or heard anything myself. I walk alot right now and of course am careful but still feel safe. People are very friendly and helpful. I'm renting an apartment which is dirt cheap they've told me because of the market conditions. It's older but it is perfectly fine for where I am at this stage. I'm here because of the weather, the University, the Spanish/Native American cultures and influences and the mountains. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 19,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssunfish View Post
You're from Florida and you ask about the drug trade? I relocated 6 months ago from the h*ll of SW Florida. Had my car broken into, outdoor furniture stolen, copper pool piping stolen, was physically threatened, nearly killed by drunk driver, and had my Harley hit and driven OVER by a drunk in a parking lot. Thankfully I was not on it at the time. Drugs are used openly on a routine basis by many of the residents and police turn a blind eye due to understaffing. Police officers are shot or injured by illegals or drug thugs on an almost weekly basis. (BTW I lived in what was considered to be an upscale area.)

No matter where you live you need to be alert but I'm not afraid to live here (I'm a single woman). I LOVE the desert, enjoy the cultural diversity and have actually taken up photography. I was describing Tucson to someone a few weeks back and told them the only way to describe Tucson is, it's alive!

Do I feel safe in Tucson? You bet your little tanned behind I do!
Well you said South West, the other person said Northern so its two different parts. I'm in central and its not that bad in Florida where I am from, but I know someone from the lower parts whom moved to my area said that their house was broken into almost five times. I knew a talk to a few regulars in a bar I work at who were from Tucson and moved here saying it was safer along with a better market since their neighbor was raped in her home while the husband was at work but they never found the guy.

I also have some customers saying that Tucson is a hell hole yet others whom love it there and say its a great place to live even with its few ups and downs. Everything depends on the location, some parts are better than others.

Florida and Tucson are basically the same coin but with different sides. One is desert the other one is marsh land, one has heat the other humidity. One has Mexican drug problems the other Cuban.

When you move somewhere you should know both the good and bad, safety and common sense are needed but never forget that things can and will happen.

Last edited by KaiserKnight; 01-01-2010 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 AM

15 posts, read 66,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmGTR View Post
Aw, aren't you cute.
You should of saved yourself the trouble of stating your opinion without any reasons for that opinion.
Enough reasons given and yes, I am cute!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 94,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
It is all subjective. some will say it is bad some say it isn't.

We will be moving there sometime soon I hope. (my wife is still in school and we will need to sell our house)

My suggestion is to visit and make your own decision. When we visited, my wife and kids didn't want to leave. I told my wife that she would feel that way but she wanted to see for herself.

We saw no violence and no suspicious activity. We didn't feel unsafe--even at night. Of course like any city there are areas that are not very nice as well as areas that are very nice. It all depends on your perspective. If you look for trouble you can find it anywhere. It is just as observer said.

I think that Tucson is a beautiful place. But I love the desert. If you don't like the desert you will not like it. We cannot wait until we can move. Especially when the weather here gets to be like the last few days. It's been down to 0 at night with ice and snow. I definately will not miss that!
Wanted to know if you are here yet! I lived in Lincolnshire, Il. and went to Carmel high school. The Chicago suburbs are great. I just moved to Prescott Arizona from Tucson where I spent 10 years. Don't move to central Tucson. The safest place is probably Oro Valley for now or just Northwest Tucson in general. I lived in Central Tucson (not even the bad part) for 1-1/2 years and I moved when I had to call 911 (for the 4th time since living there). The operator said there was a driveby shooter on the loose and to stay away from the front of the house. That's when I had enough. I know Tucson well if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 AM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
Default racism?

In my 20+ years in the United States (out of which this last year was in Tucson) I finally had my 1st racist experience. Yes, here in Tucson. This town is stuck in the past...pretty lame...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
In my 20+ years in the United States (out of which this last year was in Tucson) I finally had my 1st racist experience. Yes, here in Tucson. This town is stuck in the past...pretty lame...
Sorry to hear that, gipsy. Unfortunately, you'll find low-functioning idiots like that every where.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Tucson is what it is. You don't go there expecting to start some high powered corporate career or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of technological advancement. It's not a place of high finance where you can butt heads with leaders of industry and have your hands on the most influential monetary decisions affecting the biggest financial institutions in this country. It's not a place where you will see celebrities as a matter of course, or a city where celebrities prefer to live like Aspen,CO. It's schools are not among the best in the nation, and being close to the Mexican border, illegal immigration and its associated problems are ever abundant in the city.

However, I know people who live in Tucson who could live anywhere in the world, but choose Tucson. They prefer the slower pace and the amount of hiking they can do. They're not looking to climb the corporate ladder or have power meetings and lunches each week. They merely want peace of mind. They don't care to be around places where the movers and shakers congregate, quality of life for them is defined by simplicity. Simplicity is what Tucson represents, and for many, this is more than enough.

Tucson is a desert city off the beaten path and doesn't pretend to be more. Your ability to function there depends on you and your ability to find your own niche....just like any city.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Tucson is what it is. You don't go there expecting to start some high powered corporate career or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of technological advancement. It's not a place of high finance where you can butt heads with leaders of industry and have your hands on the most influential monetary decisions affecting the biggest financial institutions in this country. It's not a place where you will see celebrities as a matter of course, or a city where celebrities prefer to live like Aspen,CO. It's schools are not among the best in the nation, and being close to the Mexican border, illegal immigration and its associated problems are ever abundant in the city.

However, I know people who live in Tucson who could live anywhere in the world, but choose Tucson. They prefer the slower pace and the amount of hiking they can do. They're not looking to climb the corporate ladder or have power meetings and lunches each week. They merely want peace of mind. They don't care to be around places where the movers and shakers congregate, quality of life for them is defined by simplicity. Simplicity is what Tucson represents, and for many, this is more than enough.

Tucson is a desert city off the beaten path and doesn't pretend to be more. Your ability to function there depends on you and your ability to find your own niche....just like any city.
You nailed it, Alexus.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

This description reads more like an indictment than an endorsement.

Translation = If you are old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, wiling to work for very low wages, and not trying to make any impact on the world whatsoever, Tucson is perfect for you.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Keep your day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This description reads more like an indictment than an endorsement.

Translation = If you are old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, wiling to work for very low wages, and not trying to make any impact on the world whatsoever, Tucson is perfect for you.
A translator you are NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson