U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,001 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Tucson, from the midwest in February. We definitely want to live in Oro Valley, we really like what we have heard about Copper Creek Elementary. We plan on renting an apartment for a year to get a feel of the area, before we commit to a home. The apartments we have narrowed our search down to are:

Rock Ridge
Golf Villas at Oro Valley
Pusch Ridge
Oro Vista Luxury Apartments
La Reserve Villas

Price is not an issue, we will rent a 3 BR. What we are most concerned with is safety, comfort, not many loud college kids running around at all hours at the pool...just general family concerns. Can anyone advise which of these are the best? Does one just stand out in the community as a place more family oriented? Anything you could tell us would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,204,105 times
I don't think you will have to worry about a lot of loud college kids at any of these. All are nice places. The villas are going to have fewer children around, Rock Ridge and Oro Vista are both very nice family type of complexes. Oro Vista is newer that Rock Ridge, Rock Ridge is on Oracle which is the main drag into town with tons of shopping and restaurants close by. Oro Vista has a grocery store and a variety of smaller family type restaurants, Walgreens, Ace Hardware etc. within walking distance. Can't go wrong with any of your selections, just gets down to personal preferences. I also happen to live in Copper Creek and my kids attended CC Elementary, so I am very familiar with the school. What part of the midwest you coming from?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM

thanks for the info. we are from southwest missouri. looking forward to a change of scenery in arizona!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 PM

No snow/ice, no Tornadoes
That's why I like it here!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM

35 posts, read 241,087 times
Cooper Creek & Wilsom are good schools in good neighborhoods. There also is an excellent private Christian School called Casas Christian School, you don't have to be christian to go there. I moved here 9 years ago from NY, am a single mom of 3: 19,14,&12 my 19 year old son has a 11 month old son. Had I had to do all over again I would not have moved here, the crime is much worse here than it ever was in NY. Too close to the border the gangs & drugs are bad even in Oro Valley where I live. But if your work or other life happenings have to bring you here, good luck. Stay away from Coronado school, my daughter just started @ Ironwood H.S and another child heavy into drugs commited suicide last week, there have been so many suicides in that school I have lost count ( it's in Oro Valley) You might look into renting a house in the Cooper Creek/Wilson area. If you can try to move before your kids get to the middle school age. Painted Sky is not bad either but it's only K-5, check the stats AZ has one of the worst school districts in the nation. Sorry to sound all gloom & doom, just wish someone would have given me the facts, & I would of stayed in NY, I'm looking to move to Upstate NY ASAP. Good Luck, & God Bless you can pm with any ?'s

Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 AM

oh my word. that is scary. my kids are young, 6 and 7. i will look into the school you mentioned as well. this is the first "bad news" about the area i've heard...i'm a little nervous. my husband's job is why we are moving, and actually we, too live in NYC. love the schools, we've only been here 18 months but really like it. the education here is not even comparable to what they received in MO, so it's a little unsettling that you say AZ has the worst schools in the nation. i am going on a tour of copper creek when we visit in january. the secretary at the school was soooo nice and helpful when we spoke, i also like that the teachers have websites with homework, and the daily routine of their class. sorry you've had bad luck in oro valley, i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that we like it and have an enjoyable experience!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwellness View Post
Cooper Creek & Wilsom are good schools in good neighborhoods. There also is an excellent private Christian School called Casas Christian School, you don't have to be christian to go there. I moved here 9 years ago from NY, am a single mom of 3: 19,14,&12 my 19 year old son has a 11 month old son. Had I had to do all over again I would not have moved here, the crime is much worse here than it ever was in NY. Too close to the border the gangs & drugs are bad even in Oro Valley where I live. But if your work or other life happenings have to bring you here, good luck. Stay away from Coronado school, my daughter just started @ Ironwood H.S and another child heavy into drugs commited suicide last week, there have been so many suicides in that school I have lost count ( it's in Oro Valley) You might look into renting a house in the Cooper Creek/Wilson area. If you can try to move before your kids get to the middle school age. Painted Sky is not bad either but it's only K-5, check the stats AZ has one of the worst school districts in the nation. Sorry to sound all gloom & doom, just wish someone would have given me the facts, & I would of stayed in NY, I'm looking to move to Upstate NY ASAP. Good Luck, & God Bless you can pm with any ?'s
Wow not sure where to start on a posting as schizophrenic as this. So let's see, Copper Creek and Wilson are in "good" neighborhoods. Casas Christian is "excellent" and Painted Sky is "not bad either" Well that covers about 90% of Oro Valley! Yet with all your hyperbole you make it sound like OroValley is a terrible and dangerous place to live.

Reading your other post, all your extended family is in NY, you desire to live "off the grid" in a small town in NY raising chickens, goats yada yada yada. It’s no wondering you not happy here, so move! I wouldn’t be happy here either if that were my desire.

To the OP Dani1115, I think once you visit Copper Creek, Wilson etc. you will not have any doubts about the quality of school and environment in OroValley. In regards to the aforementioned Coronado middle school, first it is not located in OroValley, but for certain areas of OroValley that is your middle school. What “Angelwellness” was trying to articulate was when choosing a place to live and an elementary school, also be aware of what middle school district your are moving into. Some people’s perspective on life is all doom and gloom. Come see for yourself and make your own decision.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 12-21-2009 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 15,758 times
Oro Vista are the newest apartments in Oro Valley. I have a family member that just moved into a one bedroom and I was so surprised at how nice it was.

The Golf Villas are just below the Police Department.

I'd go for Oro Vista personally.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM

42,837 posts, read 76,007,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugs View Post
Oro Vista are the newest apartments in Oro Valley. I have a family member that just moved into a one bedroom and I was so surprised at how nice it was.

There is one con to new apartment buildings. Even though they're certainly appealing in most respects, they usually have paper-thin walls and are very noisy.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugs View Post

And close to Nico's Tacos too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson