Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 143,582 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be in Tucson for business next week. Will be staying at the Westward Look Resort on Ina Rd. Is there anything to do over there? Will have a car.

Also, any interesting places a 20 month old toddler would enjoy? Is La Encantada worth visiting for mom and baby?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM

209 posts, read 588,232 times
Westward Look is in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains, on the edge of the city. Ina Rd. is semi-commercial in the area you'll be in, but what's mostly nearby are other resort properties and luxury homes. To get to a more commercial area, you'd need to go a few miles west to Oracle Road. But even over there, I'm not sure what you'd find that is appropriate or interesting for a toddler; it's mostly strip mall shopping centers.

La Encantada is an outdoor shopping center with stores that are upscale by Tucson standards, but it's not like it's Rodeo Drive or anything. Given that there is no interior "mall," you're not going to find a padded, climate-controlled play area like you might in an indoor mall.

The attractions in Tucson, such as they are, are all quite spread out. Just figure out what you want to do and you'll be able to drive there.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
La Encantada is an outdoor shopping center with stores that are upscale by Tucson standards, but it's not like it's Rodeo Drive or anything. Given that there is no interior "mall," you're not going to find a padded, climate-controlled play area like you might in an indoor mall.
Well, if they want a mall, they can go also to Foothills Mall (Ina & La Cholla), but I don't think this one has a playground...

It beats me what the "interests" of a 20-month old are.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,020,921 times
if you DO need the typical mall kiddie playground, the Tucson Mall probably has one, if any mall in town does, but, otherwise, Tucson Mall is like any other mall in Hometown, USA....it's a well-run mall, though....

near Westward Look is the Pima Canyon Trail, with good views of the nearby mountains and the city once you get past the few houses along the first several hundred feet of trail...the hotel staff can tell you how to get there....

Tohono Chul Park is very near your hotel, also....once a rural private home with several acres of land, it's now open to the public as a desert landscape showcase and indoor gallery...the casual restaurant there may still be open these days....

La Encantada would have nothing for a 20-month old, except, possibly, an upscale baby store....if there, you may want to drop in at AJ's, an upscale grocery store, grab a little snack and sit out on their patio by the fireplace...hopefully, the kid won't bother the "ladies who lunch"

much, much farther from the Westward Look are the much-recommended Desert Museum, Sabino Canyon, and San Xavier Mission, which your hotel can tell you about

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if there, you may want to drop in at AJ's, an upscale grocery store, grab a little snack and sit out on their patio...hopefully, the kid won't bother the "ladies who lunch"!
Ha-ha, the ladies who lunch don't lunch on AJ's patio!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM

not fancy enough, sierra?.....or what?!!!....

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
not fancy enough, sierra?.....or what?!!!....
It's a grocery store patio, azdr, for Pete's sake! That's not where the ladies in question "lunch." There are restaurants around.

That's where I'd eat a sinful dessert, let's say.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's a grocery store patio, azdr, for Pete's sake! That's not where the ladies in question "lunch." There are restaurants around.

That's where I'd eat a sinful dessert, let's say.
yeah, I guess I knew that....was just trying to impress upon the OP that it wasn't McDonald's with Happy Meals and those indoor playgrounds.....thanks....

Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,544,598 times
For a 20 month old, I'd suggest Reid Park Zoo, or if you don't mind the drive, the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum has some kid friendly exhibits near the entrance like lots of spiders, scorpions and creepy crawlies behind glass that your toddler might like. There are also some otter, Big Horn Sheep, a mountain lion, raptors, and docent demonstrations. There's great gift shop with lots of things for little ones, also. And, around the Reid Park Zoo are lots of grass and play areas, picnic areas, a golf course, Hi Corbett Field and family areas.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
For a 20 month old, I'd suggest Reid Park Zoo, or if you don't mind the drive, the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum has some kid friendly exhibits near the entrance like lots of spiders, scorpions and creepy crawlies behind glass that your toddler might like. There are also some otter, Big Horn Sheep, a mountain lion, raptors, and docent demonstrations. There's great gift shop with lots of things for little ones, also. And, around the Reid Park Zoo are lots of grass and play areas, picnic areas, a golf course, Hi Corbett Field and family areas.
These are certainly good ideas, but my impression was they were looking for something to do close to their hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson