Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

I am looking to retire to the Tucson area, so I'm looking for a more settled community with a little less bike and gang activity, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 PM

114 posts, read 334,354 times
saddlebrooke- google robson communities

Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 PM

153 posts, read 522,095 times
Tucson Estates on Kinney

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhivette View Post
I am looking to retire to the Tucson area, so I'm looking for a more settled community with a little less bike and gang activity, any suggestions?
Give us a little more help, Mhivette.

What type of place do you want and/or need? How big? Yard? Patio Home? Condo? Garage? How convenient? and above all, how much do you want to spend?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,163 times
My hubby and I are also looking to move to Tucson this spring after the Gem show is over. The only way we can see rentals at the moment is on Craigslist and most of the houses we like seem to be in central Tuscon which I see everyone is saying to stay away from. Are there other places to view rentals? We are trying to get someone we know there to send us a newspaper but are still waiting for it. We have two little dogs and would like a small 2 bdrm place with a fenced yard and a washer and dryer in the unit. We arent seeing any places like that on the edges of town on Craigslist. We do have a somewhat limited income due to disability and were looking to spend anywhere from 400-700 a mo for a rental but would consider going as high as 800 or so if we found a really nice place in a safe area. We are also somewhat worried about the crime rate there. So many of the places there seem to have bars on the windows. The area we live in now has a lot of drugs too and crime but we live out of town so dont see much of that ourselves. We dont want to live so far out from all the amenities anymore tho because with illness we are not able to drive as much. Are we living in a dream world with what we are looking for?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimm View Post
My hubby and I are also looking to move to Tucson this spring after the Gem show is over. The only way we can see rentals at the moment is on Craigslist and most of the houses we like seem to be in central Tuscon which I see everyone is saying to stay away from. Are there other places to view rentals? We are trying to get someone we know there to send us a newspaper but are still waiting for it. We have two little dogs and would like a small 2 bdrm place with a fenced yard and a washer and dryer in the unit. We arent seeing any places like that on the edges of town on Craigslist. We do have a somewhat limited income due to disability and were looking to spend anywhere from 400-700 a mo for a rental but would consider going as high as 800 or so if we found a really nice place in a safe area. We are also somewhat worried about the crime rate there. So many of the places there seem to have bars on the windows. The area we live in now has a lot of drugs too and crime but we live out of town so dont see much of that ourselves. We dont want to live so far out from all the amenities anymore tho because with illness we are not able to drive as much. Are we living in a dream world with what we are looking for?
It's not going to be easy because you'd like a yard. You'll need a townhome or house in the city or possibly a mobile home on the outskirts. There are mobile homes in the city as well, but I'm not sure if they mind dogs or not.

You can check Tucson' MLS for rentals as well: Tucson MLS

Your problem is you severely limit your options yourselves... Other than that, there are plenty of rentals in your price range. Btw, most of the apartment complexes do accept dogs, so if you don't mind an apartment, you can certainly afford it.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimm View Post
Don't put too much on "the bars," Msimm.

Granted, bars in some areas indicate higher crime, however, many homes, especially older home, in perfectly safe areas have bars due to Swamp Coolers (for best results, the windows and doors need to be open) as well as many homes owned by Snowbirds remain vacant for months.

I live in a fairly safe area of Tucson and my home has Security Bars. No clue if they were installed because of the Swamp Cooler or the long term Snowbird vacancy.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,138 times
My wife and I are also planning on retiring in Arizona this year. We think Tucson in the place based on what we have learned. We do not want to buy at this time but rent or lease. We can pay between $600.00 and 900.00 per month and have transportation. We would like to rent where we do not have to share a wall or ceiling but could handle it if it was quiet. No dogs and no smoking. What would be the best area in or around Tucson to look. We do like to hike and bike so trails are a desire. Or is there another town or city in the area. We have visited Phoenix and liked it but it is a bit big and traffic bad. Thank you for any help provided.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 29,987 times
Smile Copper Crest 55+

Copper Crest Community, like Tucson Estates, is a owner owned manufactured home community that has turned out to be perfect for us. Affordable, low key with quality homes adjacent to the Sonoran Desert. It's worth checking out. Be sure to check multiple real estate sites or Zillow and craigslist for an overview of pricing. Many houses are much much less than what is shown on the official Copper Crest Realtor site.

We love Tucson!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM

135 posts, read 341,994 times
Goforth, I live on the near west side and love it. It's quiet and peaceful yet close to almost everything that matters (except Trader Joe's!). There are lots of walking/jogging trails around my neighborhood and natural desert areas, too. (I might have a lead on a lovely two-bedroom plus den/two bath home for rent on the west side. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.)

As for the central part of town, there are some very nice neighborhoods there but you have to know where to look - or get great advice from someone who knows that area. And yes, if you look at the daily crime map published by azstarnet(dot)com, you will see much less crime in the outlying areas, including the west side. I walk my dog at night and always feel safe in my neighborhood. And yes, I have bars on the windows but it makes me feel more secure since I live alone.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson