Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times

Advertisements

i b4 e xcpt aftr c!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
i b4 e xcpt aftr c!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,978 times
Quote:
Eggsactly!

Not to mention there, their, and they're... to, too, and two... are and our... will and we'll... were and where... an and and... loose and lose... choose and chose... moot and mute... grammer and grammar... bated and baited... toe, tow, and one toke over the line, sweet Jesus...!
You missed pale and pail; sail and sale; and ?

What drives me nuts is when the upper management of the company I work for makes spelling errors in e-mails. Haven't they heard of "spell check?"

Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Or deer and dear, bear and bare, bury and berry, hear and here, wear and ware, and the one that bothers me is when people confuse affect and effect.

When I was in CO at a UPS store last week, I had some boxes addressed to me here, and the kid (he was about 18 or 19) behind the counter looked at the address label and said, "This is going to where? Tuckson? Is that in New Mexico?" I looked at him as though he'd just dropped through the ceiling from a UFO, and said evenly, "No, it's Toosahn and it's in Arizona." Don't kids study geography anymore? Their spelling is atrocious, now their geography skills are, too? Next thing you know, they'll believe that Julius Caesar really invented the pizza chain, and that "Et tu, Brute?" means "You eat it too, Brutus?" Or that King Tut was a song and dance by Steve Martin, not a real Egyptian ruler. And this generation will be our leaders in a few years. Hitting "Post Quick Reply" without spell checking.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Affect / effect.

Affect as verb = change or alter

Effect as verb = cause
Effect as noun = phenomenon

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
You missed pale and pail; sail and sale; and ?

What drives me nuts is when the upper management of the company I work for makes spelling errors in e-mails. Haven't they heard of "spell check?"
Yeah... if I've learned anything from this thread... its that even the so-called most sophisticated of us (teachers and upper management included) are not immune to grammar, spelling, and word usage errors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Or deer and dear, bear and bare, bury and berry, hear and here, wear and ware, and the one that bothers me is when people confuse affect and effect.

When I was in CO at a UPS store last week, I had some boxes addressed to me here, and the kid (he was about 18 or 19) behind the counter looked at the address label and said, "This is going to where? Tuckson? Is that in New Mexico?" I looked at him as though he'd just dropped through the ceiling from a UFO, and said evenly, "No, it's Toosahn and it's in Arizona." Don't kids study geography anymore? Their spelling is atrocious, now their geography skills are, too? Next thing you know, they'll believe that Julius Caesar really invented the pizza chain, and that "Et tu, Brute?" means "You eat it too, Brutus?" Or that King Tut was a song and dance by Steve Martin, not a real Egyptian ruler. And this generation will be our leaders in a few years. Hitting "Post Quick Reply" without spell checking.
Unfortunately, "Tucson" continues (and will continue) to suffer through this incredible identity crisis, complete with its own special erroneous spelling! Its a given any more! Notice how often its spelled as TuSCon right here on CD!

Are today's kids any worse than they were back a generation or two ago? I have to believe that English teachers from back then didn't have to deal with the computerized (IM)/cell phoned (texting) world of today, where abbreviations and mispelled words are the norm. Today's teachers have more of a challenge, that's for sure.

Hey! I totally forgot about the affect and effect confusion! That may just overflow directly into affluent and effluent!

Oh... and BEWARE the IDES of MARCH, Marce!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM

BTW, I wonder what became of grimaldi?

Did he give up on us... the crazy people of TUCKSON - after just one post? Who would blame the guy?

Or did Las Vegas Drunk sweep him off to "Sin City" for a blast of URBAN, BRIGHT, and FAST after all?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Hmmm... I wonder where grimaldi might go to find himself a less rural, less dark, and less slow environment?

Yeah... somewhere URBAN, BRIGHT, and FAST!

Have you ever been to Vegas, grimaldi? We have a buddy by the name of Las Vegas Drunk which may be able to direct you, if not give you a personal tour of "Sin City"!
Vegas is bright and fast but not so Urban!!!!!!!!

Ever been there? The parts outside of the Strip remind me a lot of Tucson, except not as pretty.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Vegas is bright and fast but not so Urban!!!!!!!!

Ever been there? The parts outside of the Strip remind me a lot of Tucson, except not as pretty.
Its been a while... but I also do remember that there was a lot of open desert just before we got to Vegas! Oh, well... maybe grimaldi will do okay there with just BRIGHT and FAST!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
The only time I was in Vegas was at McCarran when my flights from COS to SEA-TAC (and back) stopped over there. I lost $10.00 in less than a minute at the slot machines in the waiting area. So, I hit the gift shops instead. Better return on my dollar. It was bright and fast, alright. So bright, I didn't see how fast my money disappeared.

And, speaking of disappeared, (like the segue?) another recent popular saying that rubs me like salt on a wound is "went missing". I HATE THAT SAYING!!!! Why can't they say someone disappeared? But, no. "So and So" went missing. What happened to "So and So" disappeared? Is that even a correct usage of the verb tense of went with relation to missing? If it is, it should disappear as well. I will now step down from my 'most disliked sayings' soapbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: