Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM

59 posts, read 147,656 times

Advertisements

Awesome photos! We missed the street fair this year, sniff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
Here are some pictures from our trip:

This was in March 2013. I wish I would have taken more pictures. But a lot of what we did was look at houses and go to tourist spots so I didn't want to post someones house or pictures with family.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 PM

19 posts, read 47,488 times
Default Pictures of Tucson

There were some photo posts in this forum (a few years old now I guess) of a run-down Tucson neighborhood and, if I remember correctly, an associated claim that the photos well represented the appearance of many of the neighborhoods within the city of Tucson. The person who posted the pics said something to the effect of "they were not trying to make Tucson look bad." Really? Also, at least one member from the Phoenix area was more than happy to support the distorted picture of reality those photos gave. Incidentally, I can't help but wonder if the member who posted the pics (being a resident of Tucson) was just interested in keeping those unaware of Tucson's charms in such a state of ignorance as to keep them away altogether. There are people in this town who'd like to see growth in the area greatly reduced, if not halted altogether... and I don't think there's much limit to what they'll do in trying to achieve that end.

The perception or picture or whatever you want to call it that those photographs portrayed is ***95% false.*** Tucson is a great town with many livable areas and that's NOT including the outlying, suburban areas. Yes, Tucson has a good deal of poverty (what city doesn't?), but the neighborhood depicted in those numerous photographs is a representation of truly the bottom of the barrel. Even in the less affluent parts of town you would be surprised at the pride many people take in keeping their homes, town homes, yards etc in surprisingly good shape. I attribute this to an overall positive mood and outlook of the people in Tucson because of the great location and weather of this area in general. If one wants the real picture, then they should see this place with their your own eyes and judge for themselves. Now, to be fair and honest I will say this: within the city limits you can situations in which some less attractive homes/neighborhoods/developments are in fairly close proximity to more attractive homes/neighborhoods/developments. This may be due in part to the fact that people with more affluence can not just zip out of central Tucson on some superhighway to an upscale suburb, thereby leaving the more central areas of town to become totally depressed. The fact that we don't have an east-west superhighway bisecting our town helps to hold that mass exodus to suburban areas at bay and, in some sense, keeps communities more as they should be. People want to be closer to where they work and to the other opportunities the city has to offer. I live in a neighborhood of Tucson that is a mixture of ethnicity and income. I have never felt unsafe here and it feels more like a community should be. People from all different walks of life coming together rather than trying to barricade themselves from one another.

I like Tucson very much. It's my home. People interested in this area should see it first-hand before making any judgement.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Excellent video showing all the beautiful highlights of Tucson

This is Tucson Arizona USA - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Excellent video showing all the beautiful highlights of Tucson
Excellent indeed. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for posting it.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Very well said, caphillsea77. I remember those posts and commented on them as well. I added some pictures from Chicago (I currently live in the suburbs) showing some very bad parts. There are bad parts in every city and it would be easy to put together something to show only that, just as it is east to show only the best areas. We have spent enough time in Tucson to know what the city has and does not have. We have chosen to move to Tucson because it has the things that we love the most.

Your pictures are very nice as well. Tucson had so much to offer. We currently live in the far western Chicago suburbs and it is a nice area to some. I grew up here and really do not like it much. There is good and bad here just as in any city. We think that Tucson has more of the good (our point of view) which does include the weather.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Here are some pictures from our trip:

This was in March 2013. I wish I would have taken more pictures. But a lot of what we did was look at houses and go to tourist spots so I didn't want to post someones house or pictures with family.
Did you stay at the La Posada on Oracle? I see a pic that looks like the little backyard from the suite I've stayed at.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Did you stay at the La Posada on Oracle?
Yes we did. We really liked it. We had a room on the pool side. The breakfasts were wonderful as well. When we looked at reviews many people complained that the place is old and not updated buy that is part of the charm IMO.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM

135 posts, read 515,660 times
Most of the post in the "Photo" section of any city are the Ooo & Ah pic's of the city and surrounding areas. The poster of the slum hood was showing the other side of the coin so to speak. There are as many slum areas in Tucson as there are Ooo & Ah areas. Most people, just like anything now days, don't want to talk about or see the bad areas, that way they don't exist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy40 View Post
There were some photo posts in this forum (a few years old now I guess) of a run-down Tucson neighborhood and, if I remember correctly, an associated claim that the photos well represented the appearance of many of the neighborhoods within the city of Tucson. The person who posted the pics said something to the effect of "they were not trying to make Tucson look bad." Really? Also, at least one member from the Phoenix area was more than happy to support the distorted picture of reality those photos gave. Incidentally, I can't help but wonder if the member who posted the pics (being a resident of Tucson) was just interested in keeping those unaware of Tucson's charms in such a state of ignorance as to keep them away altogether. There are people in this town who'd like to see growth in the area greatly reduced, if not halted altogether... and I don't think there's much limit to what they'll do in trying to achieve that end.

The perception or picture or whatever you want to call it that those photographs portrayed is ***95% false.*** Tucson is a great town with many livable areas and that's NOT including the outlying, suburban areas. Yes, Tucson has a good deal of poverty (what city doesn't?), but the neighborhood depicted in those numerous photographs is a representation of truly the bottom of the barrel. Even in the less affluent parts of town you would be surprised at the pride many people take in keeping their homes, town homes, yards etc in surprisingly good shape. I attribute this to an overall positive mood and outlook of the people in Tucson because of the great location and weather of this area in general. If one wants the real picture, then they should see this place with their your own eyes and judge for themselves. Now, to be fair and honest I will say this: within the city limits you can situations in which some less attractive homes/neighborhoods/developments are in fairly close proximity to more attractive homes/neighborhoods/developments. This may be due in part to the fact that people with more affluence can not just zip out of central Tucson on some superhighway to an upscale suburb, thereby leaving the more central areas of town to become totally depressed. The fact that we don't have an east-west superhighway bisecting our town helps to hold that mass exodus to suburban areas at bay and, in some sense, keeps communities more as they should be. People want to be closer to where they work and to the other opportunities the city has to offer. I live in a neighborhood of Tucson that is a mixture of ethnicity and income. I have never felt unsafe here and it feels more like a community should be. People from all different walks of life coming together rather than trying to barricade themselves from one another.

I like Tucson very much. It's my home. People interested in this area should see it first-hand before making any judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson