U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,649 times
Default Moving from Ohio to AZ

My family and I are moving from Ohio to Tucson in late July. I have 3 young children; two of them grade school age. We are in our mid 30's and are looking for a quiet and safe neighborhood to settle in. I am not so much worried about a hopin night life as long as we have good neighbors and our kids are safe. We would like safe good school of course. Any advice people can give us would be appreciated.

-D
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 AM

As a side note I will be working for AF so if it could be close to the base it would be great. However I am not against commuting if it means being in a better neighborhood. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 AM

187 posts, read 293,510 times
Check out Rita Ranch on the southeast side of the city. It's a newer development and is near the base, so a lot of military families live there. It's in the Vail School District, which is one of the better districts in the area.

A longer commute, but just as family-oriented would be Sahuarita, which is about 20 miles south of the city. Most of the commute would be on a not very busy freeway. Sahuarita is another bedroom suburban area with better than average schools.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

691 posts, read 1,337,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Check out Rita Ranch on the southeast side of the city. It's a newer development and is near the base, so a lot of military families live there. It's in the Vail School District, which is one of the better districts in the area.

A longer commute, but just as family-oriented would be Sahuarita, which is about 20 miles south of the city. Most of the commute would be on a not very busy freeway. Sahuarita is another bedroom suburban area with better than average schools.

Sahuarita is a very interesting concept but can feel a bit...err...what's the word. Stepford-ish. But it has a lot of amenities that really make it easy to have all you need very close by. They have their own school system down there too.

We lived in Rita Ranch and loved it as it wasn't in Tucson proper and had a smaller community feel to it, but you had access to transportation, libraries etc if you want and not too far to get into the city. Also commute to DM was a breeze. There are quite a few neighborhoods in RR and lots of military families with children as well. Vail schools (in my opinion) were excellent.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times
My wife and I just went through the same thing in December. We moved from Pittsburgh. We looked into the southern communities, but elected instead on purchasing in Oro Valley. The schools ranked better in the NW than the south.

I'm sure you will really enjoy it here. The people are so nice!
-J

Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM

945 posts, read 1,304,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilroy5 View Post
My family and I are moving from Ohio to Tucson in late July. I have 3 young children; two of them grade school age. We are in our mid 30's and are looking for a quiet and safe neighborhood to settle in. I am not so much worried about a hopin night life as long as we have good neighbors and our kids are safe. We would like safe good school of course. Any advice people can give us would be appreciated.

-D
Here's a site for doing your school research
GreatSchools.org

There are plenty of great areas to live in Tucson. I am partial to the Oro Valley area becasue that's where I live. All the places mentioned above are worth checking out. They all have a different feel, so check them out, check the schools out and see what fits your family.

P.S. Lots of Buckeye fans here too. I even know how to make Buckeye candy!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 PM

THank you to everyone who has replied. I have heard good things about Tucson and very excited about moving. Rick- be careful if you know how to make Buckeyes i will be over requesting them on a weekly basis! I am a Cincinnati/Irish fan though. Shhhhh dont tel lthe rest of the Ohio implants I said that.
Are there neighborhoods i absolutlely want to stay away from? Also does anyone know of a good company that helps find rental homes/ relocation services?

Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 18,966 times
A lot of people consider the Catalina Foothills area to have wonderful schools. That's a thought. As for neighborhoods . . . hmmm . . . I think the neighborhoods near the University are awfully nice for families. We visited a friend in the Sam Hughes neighborhood at Halloween last year and had a ball because the whole neighborhood celebrated. The streets were packed with kids.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,072 times
I am going to have a second interview for a position in Tuscon so its great to read these different posts. I would also be moving from Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson