Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 13,722 times

Advertisements

I am curious if there is any commercial construction happening in Tucson. Medical or any type of offices, restaurants, schools, remodeling or new construction.

My fiance is a carpenter and does cabinets, trim, doors, windows, panel systems etc. and if there are job opportunities in Tucson we may relocate there.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I saw a lot of commercial construction in the suburb I live in about 4 years ago. These days, nothing except custom homes -- and not many of those. In fact, most of the office buildings that were built have been sitting empty for more than two years (tax write-offs for doctors, probably), so it will no doubt be a long time before it starts up again. The job market in Texas is much healthier than in Arizona, Nevada, or California. And Phoenix has more opportunities than Tucson, being a much larger city.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Construction started picking up somewhat, but there are still plenty of unemployed people. The new In & Out Burger at Broadway & Kolb had a sign up one morning "framers wanted" and it was gone the next day.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnaz61 View Post
I am curious if there is any commercial construction happening in Tucson. Medical or any type of offices, restaurants, schools, remodeling or new construction.

My fiance is a carpenter and does cabinets, trim, doors, windows, panel systems etc. and if there are job opportunities in Tucson we may relocate there.

Thank you!
Yes, commercial construction in Tucson never really seemed to stop throughout this recession. It seems that commecial infill development is a hot trend here in Tucson now.

QuikTrip, a gas station/convenience store company, has plans for at least 10 more QuikTrips around Tucson is the next couple of years.

There is an low-rise office building being constructed on Speedway, right across from the Quebedeaux dealership, between Alvernon and Country Club.

There is a Panda Express going in a developing parcel at El Con Mall next to Chik-fil-A.

An In-N-Out Burger is going in at a parcel on Broadway and Kolb.

A new Nordstorm Rack is planned for the SE corner of Oracle and Wetmore. There are also projects going on downtown.

REI is constructing a location at the Tucson Mall.

As the economy starts to lift, I am sure this boom will just continue. There are A LOT of undeveloped parcels all over that are now receiving attention.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
A new Nordstorm Rack is planned for the SE corner of Oracle and Wetmore.
That's interesting as I heard it a few days ago from another person as well, but Nordstrom's site doesn't seem to be aware of such plans even though they have a list of all future stores till 2012.

I'm not particularly excited as I've been to one of Rack stores in Phoenix and it looked worse than Ross. I'm pretty sick of Nordstrom playing this "big shot" game. There are enough affluent people in Tucson to support a Nordstrom and we, common folks, can also buy something once in a while and on sales. It's not like it's Neiman Marcus... c'mon! There are way more upscale stores in La Encantada and they seem to be doing just fine.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your replies. When I left town Feb '09 there were businesses closing, being boarded up, the corner of Broadway and Craycroft was losing Mervyns and Circuit City! It seemed like it was becoming a ghost town with all the businesses closing and being boarded up.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,928 times
Does anyone know what is being constructed at the corner of broadway and craycroft, where the el paso restaurant used to be??

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_2002grad View Post
Does anyone know what is being constructed at the corner of broadway and craycroft, where the el paso restaurant used to be??
Some other restaurant, if I remember correctly. Kind of beats me why they'd demolish an existing building of the same type...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_2002grad View Post
BJ's Brewhouse...it's ok. Waitstaff needs some more training!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Construction

Back to the original topic though...does anyone know who the major cabinet manufacturers are here and if they use sub-contractors to install the cabinets on a job? Or do the cabinet manufacturers just supply the cabinets to the GC and the GC hires the sub-contractors?

In other words as a sub-contractor specializing in casework and counter tops should I contact cabinet manufacturers to bid for jobs or a construction company or perhaps even design or architectural firms?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson