Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Home invasion isn't a concern for me, obviously, but I rarely hear about it on the news or in the paper, either. Honestly, I've seen more guns in gunracks in pickup trucks in Colorado than I ever have here.

I read the law that the governor signed, and carrying a weapon is legal and has been for a long, long time. As with most states, carrying a concealed weapon required a permit. Now, a permit's not required, although it's encouraged. So, all the law really does is allow you to carry a concealed weapon without a permit, rather than having one.

Tucson is not Tombstone, and there isn't an OK Corral (that I know of). We have executives, lawyers, doctors, professors, and the majority of people probably have never considered carrying a gun in public. They may have them in their homes, as many people do in most cities, but there isn't going to suddenly be a run on gun shops where little old, blue haired ladies are packing heat, and popping off people who don't let them cross a parking lot. Those who owned guns, still will, and those who are opposed to or are nervous about guns will avoid them (like me).

Tucson may be located in the SW, but it's a long cry from a "shoot em up" bust out of saloon doors a la Butch and the Kid, pumping a six shooter rapid fire, type place. I'd be more afraid in Baltimore or Detroit than I would be here in Tucson. Tucson isn't going to revert to a lawless, dusty roads, Doc Holliday type of place. Next thing you know, they'll start letting you rustle cattle without a permit.
well said.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 AM

153 posts, read 522,003 times
I was in Las Vegas this weekend. Oh my god. It was like going from Romania to Germany. And I am not talking about the strip. Roads are excellent, well thought out, no pot holes. Streets are manicured like an arboretum. People are relaxed. I havent seen any cops, any idiotic speed cameras. Restaurants, bars, things to dos everywhere. Tucson really needs to dig itself out of the third world border town mentality. I know that there is gigantic loads of money going into Vegas all the time, but don't forget at one point it was just a nother dusthole in the desert. Why can't Tucson do something to make some money, or maybe the current look is Tucson's destiny.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
maybe the current look is Tucson's destiny
Afraid it is... Fast-food stands (and I mean stands! like on the South side) started popping up on the East side! Turning into 3rd world real fast!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM

602 posts, read 2,063,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Afraid it is... Fast-food stands (and I mean stands! like on the South side) started popping up on the East side! Turning into 3rd world real fast!
Sounds really vibrant in your neck of the woods.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Sounds really vibrant in your neck of the woods.
It's getting "vibrant" only around the office, thank goodness. I like vibrant, but not this particular brand of it.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,837 times
I have been wanting to move back to Tucson for a long time, I love it there and most everywhere in AZ. Until Now. The backwards state government went too far this time. I lived in AZ during the Mecham & Babbitt years. That was pretty bad, but this new racial profiling law requiring many local citizens to carry their birth certificates to prove residency has gone too far.

I love many things about the state, but would not consider living there until that new law is repealed. I do believe in states rights (libertarian) but not a police state.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

153 posts, read 522,003 times
Mod Cut: Post referring to has been deleted.

Things that make AZ stupid:
#1. Drive from Tucson to Phoenix. How many speed cameras have you noticed? A hundred?

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-29-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
Things that make AZ stupid:
#1. Drive from Tucson to Phoenix. How many speed cameras have you noticed? A hundred?
In all fairness, that's not something AZ-specific. It's not even US-specific. There are talking cameras yelling at people in England! It's just a disgusting new world...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,837 times
I would like to correct my previous message. The new law does not REQUIRE you to carry papers, but it does say to everyone that AZ is still as racist and backwards as when they would not recognize MLK day. I am a white male and have no direct connection to MLK day, and would probably not be too affected by the new law, but I believe in equal rights and civil liberties. I believe this law will trample the liberties of those legal hispanics that will be targeted by the police because of some subjective "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegals.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorce View Post
I would like to correct my previous message. The new law does not REQUIRE you to carry papers, but it does say to everyone that AZ is still as racist and backwards as when they would not recognize MLK day. I am a white male and have no direct connection to MLK day, and would probably not be too affected by the new law, but I believe in equal rights and civil liberties. I believe this law will trample the liberties of those legal hispanics that will be targeted by the police because of some subjective "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegals.
sorry to burst your balloon, but the law is not a racist law. in fact it specifies that racial profiling is NOT allowed. as for martin luther king day, the original holiday was in fact illegal since it was not done through the arizona congress. many attempts were made to make a legal MLK holiday, but they pretty much all failed. governor mecham merely forced the issue to be done legally. mecham was NOT a racist, though the media made him out to be one. the law also requires that anyone questioned about their legal status be stopped for another reason first, caught speeding, running a red light, etc. likely to prevent racial profiling, local and state LEO's will do the same thing the border patrol does at their check points, and check everyones legal status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson