Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,542,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Oklahoma is a third world state by comparison.
No kidding, if you know where to look in Oklahoma. For instance, did you know the average age at death in Atoka County is only 36 years old? And, of course, the Republicans at the State Capitol don't want to do much of anything to help those poor people. Instead, they want to lower the income requirement to receive SoonerCare yet lower than federal poverty levels. The state refusing to help poor people with their health, drug, alcohol and mental problems helps explain why they die much sooner. So if you move to Oklahoma, be already well off in life. Republicans will be looking for ways to make you even more well off. But dare not be foolish enough to come already poor.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-21-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,104,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No kidding, if you know where to look in Oklahoma. For instance, did you know the average age at death in Atoka County is only 36 years old? And, of course, the Republicans at the State Capitol don't want to do much of anything to help those poor people. Instead, they want to lower the income requirement to receive SoonerCare yet lower than federal poverty levels. The state refusing to help poor people with their health, drug, alcohol and mental problems helps explain why they die much sooner. So if you move to Oklahoma, be already well off in life. Republicans will be looking for ways to make you even more well off. But dare not be foolish enough to come already poor.
You've posted this elsewhere as well. Where does that number come from? Life expectancy is in the 70s according to several sources.

Last edited by KayneMo; 02-21-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
You've posted this elsewhere as well. Where does that number come from? Life expectancy is in the 70s according to several sources.
An Oklahoma legislator from se Oklahoma said that last summer while giving a talk on drugs and justice reform. It may be like that in poor rural counties in other states. It probably is extra bad in Oklahoma. I can recall about 15 years ago in which a state official from the Oklahoma health department said that during the 1990s, Oklahoma was the only state in which the life expectancy age went down.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM

As bad of a state Oklahoma is, at least it's not listed as one of the top ten states people were moving out of in 2017.
https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...ers-study-2017

Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
An Oklahoma legislator from se Oklahoma said that last summer while giving a talk on drugs and justice reform. It may be like that in poor rural counties in other states. It probably is extra bad in Oklahoma.
Here's a quote from that Oklahoma legislator:

"I checked the statistical data for Atoka County the other day. Average age of death--36. One of the big problems is people OD. It's not like everybody is dying down there, but when you got 18 and 19 year olds dying on overdoses, then it typically brings your numbers down quite a bit. Or I'm going to assume that is what it is. I haven't really studied it."

Maybe there is a big difference between how you arrive at life expectancy and average age at death.

I should add that he admitted to smoking train loads of pot while young. LOL, He's living proof that banning pot doesn't work.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,210,235 times
Quote:

"I checked the statistical data for Atoka County the other day. Average age of death--36. One of the big problems is people OD. It's not like everybody is dying down there, but when you got 18 and 19 year olds dying on overdoses, then it typically brings your numbers down quite a bit. Or I'm going to assume that is what it is. I haven't really studied it."

Maybe there is a big difference between how you arrive at life expectancy and average age at death.

I should add that he admitted to smoking train loads of pot while young. LOL, He's living proof that banning pot doesn't work.
Atoka County, OK:

Female - 78.4
Male - 73.9

http://www.healthdata.org/sites/defa...y_Oklahoma.pdf

Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 PM

793 posts, read 1,104,579 times
Quote:

I cannot find anything that pertains to 36 being the "average age of death", which is essentially the life expectancy, for Atoka County. The only thing I can think of is perhaps he terribly misread something and interpreted it wrong because Johnston County's overdose mortality rate in 2014 was 36 per 100,000, as was Murray County's, but Atoka County's was 14 per 100,000.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,210,235 times
I'm not sure what the average age of death in Atoka County has to do with Tulsa anyway. Atoka is a two hour drive and a world away from Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa