Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Frankly I find it disingenuous for Okies to bi**h about government interference, government spending, and government waste and turn around and gripe about the city not having spent several million for snow removal equipment that will sit in the yards for 50 weeks out of the year.
You rock, GP. It is snow and it is impossible to have it cleared within a day or two. And if anyone works for the city, I am sure they will tell you they are doing everything they can and pulling overtime while we sit in front of the tv, remote in hand, brewski's chilling, waiting for the next storm.

BTW, we live rural, and our dirt road is a big slushy mess. Thankfully, the farmer up the road cleared some of it so we could get to town on saturday. Tonight it will be 25, tomorrow's low will be 12, and wednesday's low will be 9.

Personally, I love the winter mess because I don't have to get out in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Sorry I ever brought it up folks. I do realize that everything is/has been done I just wondered why there were large areas of ice still on the streets with no sand or salt having been added. I am NOT b******* about what or how much was spent I frankly do not care. My only concern is the ability of the citizens of TULSA to get around. Those who do not live in TULSA don't worry your little heads about it.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
tookey, if it seemed as though I was attacking you I apologize. It was not directed at you. FWIW, I think way too many people here get out in this stuff when they really don't need to, too many drive stupidly and dangerously as well.....I think I was responding to a couple of people I have encountered recently that had been griping about the lack of snow removal then, in the same breath, complain about government spending, or their taxes, as though government services like snow removal, sand and salt, pothole repair, bridge maintenance, police protection, fire protection, EMSA services, traffic lights, etc etc etc are free.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
tookey, if it seemed as though I was attacking you I apologize. It was not directed at you. FWIW, I think way too many people here get out in this stuff when they really don't need to, too many drive stupidly and dangerously as well.....I think I was responding to a couple of people I have encountered recently that had been griping about the lack of snow removal then, in the same breath, complain about government spending, or their taxes, as though government services like snow removal, sand and salt, pothole repair, bridge maintenance, police protection, fire protection, EMSA services, traffic lights, etc etc etc are free.
No worries GP I also apologize to you and everyone else I aimed my ammunition at. I am 100% in agreement with you about people getting out in this that should just stay home and stay put. For the second time in as many days I had another encounter with a driver that should have just stayed off the road. I also agree with you about the complaining about government spending then turn right around a gritch and groan about city/county/state services. I realize that these services do the best they can with what they are given. I may not always agree with some of the decisions but if I had all the answers I would be working at City Hall. So once again everyone please accept my apologies.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
No apologies necessary, tookey, we know it's a PIA. I've been off work because the back hwy's are snow packed and I commute 30 miles one way. And this rain today will make tonight a REAL hazard to drive on during the next few days.

The side streets are always the last to be cleared.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
.........but if I had all the answers I would be working at City Hall.
more than likely you would be run out of town on a rail............

Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
If it makes you any happier to know, I saw a black full size truck off in a ditch this weekend. Unfortunately, the ditch was in my yard and he may have taken out a row of sprinklers. I don't know why he was in my yard because obviously no one else had been driving there or even close to there. I stayed in the house and let him dig out on his own because I probably would have said something nasty to him.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
We as citizens can get out with our own tractors/scraper blades, or we can fund a larger snow account with our taxes. Those are the only two choices.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
Beggs schools took a novel approach. They posted on Facebook asking if anyone had plows, graters, front loaders, ect to come to the school and help clear the parking lots so we could get the kids back to school. Personally, I offered to bring a shovel if it would help get my kids out of this darn house. No need for a bus (Since everyone is complaining about the bus ice routes ran yesterday) I will drive them. Just tell me what time to be there with them!!!! I am kidding especially after the second dose of snow we got today. Now everyone will have to do it again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa