U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Status: "Tomorrow is Fun Friday on FFA!" (set 17 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
35,457 posts, read 17,985,176 times
Reputation: 20446
Downtown would be fantastic if city officials can come up with a good plan. They can also play off the river and be creative there. Obviously, it is going to take money and a sense of priority. Has there been an estimate of how much a project like this would cost if, say, the city of Tulsa agrees to build?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Wind comes sweeping down the...
1,591 posts, read 4,397,744 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Downtown would be fantastic if city officials can come up with a good plan. They can also play off the river and be creative there. Obviously, it is going to take money and a sense of priority. Has there been an estimate of how much a project like this would cost if, say, the city of Tulsa agrees to build?
It would cost a lot more than the Jenks river development. The city of Tulsa would probably need to have another penny sales tax like OKCs maps projects. That means voting and a lot of time. Tulsa would need to put up around 300-400 million in public funds so outside investments with private money would feel safe investing in the area. Thats why I think Tulsa should have spent less on The BOK arena and thrown some cash towards something like OKC has done. Something akin to Bricktown that can stir development in Tulsas once thriving Dtown/Mtown. It needs help. It was great to pass Vision 2025 but it included too many deals with keeping AAirlines (which is needed too) and not enough ideas to make entertainment like development where I would like to see it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
3 posts, read 6,882 times
Reputation: 11
Default I would go too!

The Drillers want to move to Jenks, if I owned a business located at the Tulsa County Fairgrounds I would want to move away from the Totally Special Interest controlled Tulsa County Fair Board as well. I think the way the Fair Board operates our county business is disgraceful. So maybe the fair board can find someplace to move to as well.

Please Mayor, stop trying move everything to downtown until your plans include parking and safety to the mix. Hopefully the new BOK center will not bankrupt the City when people realize that they can not afford to attend events there and discover they will have to park in Sand Spring and ride the one bus provided by the city (ie Like they did for the TU OU football game) to the BOK Center.

I don’t want to see the Drillers go but I didn't want to see the Oilers go either, so if they do I hope it is not to downtown, then they would certainly lose much of the fan base they have now. Jenks would not win much if they do come there either. They would do what the other businesses that have moved to Jenks have done and price themselves out of business.

Good Luck in what ever you do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Wind comes sweeping down the...
1,591 posts, read 4,397,744 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtulsa View Post
The Drillers want to move to Jenks, if I owned a business located at the Tulsa County Fairgrounds I would want to move away from the Totally Special Interest controlled Tulsa County Fair Board as well. I think the way the Fair Board operates our county business is disgraceful. So maybe the fair board can find someplace to move to as well.

Please Mayor, stop trying move everything to downtown until your plans include parking and safety to the mix. Hopefully the new BOK center will not bankrupt the City when people realize that they can not afford to attend events there and discover they will have to park in Sand Spring and ride the one bus provided by the city (ie Like they did for the TU OU football game) to the BOK Center.

I don’t want to see the Drillers go but I didn't want to see the Oilers go either, so if they do I hope it is not to downtown, then they would certainly lose much of the fan base they have now. Jenks would not win much if they do come there either. They would do what the other businesses that have moved to Jenks have done and price themselves out of business.

Good Luck in what ever you do.
I kinda dont know what you are trying to say in your last paragraph. Especially when you are so confused that you think the Oilers have left Tulsa...LOL.

Tulsa Oilers Family Ticket 4-Packs! - 1k

The bus to OU/TU and the fairground stuff I have no clue...BUT
BOK bankrupt Tulsa??? The facility was built by public tax!
Tulsans wont be able afford to go there for events! Do you honestly believe that?

LEAVE DOWNTOWN TULSA EMPTY because of PARKING!!! *&?&?&?% ROAR...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
3 posts, read 6,882 times
Reputation: 11
Default Confused?

I am sorry that I confused you. I was referring to the Tulsa Baseball Oilers owned by A. Ray Smith. They indeed left Tulsa because the old stadium collapsed and the fair board did not respond and build them a place to play.
As for the cost to attend events at the BOK, yes I believe the cost will illuminate may tax paying Tulsans from attending events. The original Ice Oilers team was moved to Oklahoma City back when OKC built their events center back in the early 70's as well. Check out your history.

As far as leaving downtown empty, no I don't suggest that we leave it empty. But I did suggest that we include parking needs when decisions are made to build things, or move City Hall. Any clue where the city employees will be parking not to mention the citizens trying to do business with the city at the new location. Didn't think so, neither do the city employees I have talked to. Moderator cut: Personal attack Have a nice day

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I kinda dont know what you are trying to say in your last paragraph. Especially when you are so confused that you think the Oilers have left Tulsa...LOL.

Tulsa Oilers Family Ticket 4-Packs! - 1k

The bus to OU/TU and the fairground stuff I have no clue...BUT
BOK bankrupt Tulsa??? The facility was built by public tax!
Tulsans wont be able afford to go there for events! Do you honestly believe that?

LEAVE DOWNTOWN TULSA EMPTY because of PARKING!!! *&?&?&?% ROAR...

Last edited by Jammie; 11-19-2007 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: personal attacks are not allowed
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Wind comes sweeping down the...
1,591 posts, read 4,397,744 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtulsa View Post
I am sorry that I confused you. I was referring to the Tulsa Baseball Oilers owned by A. Ray Smith. They indeed left Tulsa because the old stadium collapsed and the fair board did not respond and build them a place to play.
As for the cost to attend events at the BOK, yes I believe the cost will illuminate may tax paying Tulsans from attending events. The original Ice Oilers team was moved to Oklahoma City back when OKC built their events center back in the early 70's as well. Check out your history.

As far as leaving downtown empty, no I don't suggest that we leave it empty. But I did suggest that we include parking needs when decisions are made to build things, or move City Hall. Any clue where the city employees will be parking not to mention the citizens trying to do business with the city at the new location. Didn't think so, neither do the city employees I have talked to. Moderator cut: orphaned personal attack Have a nice day
Im happy to see you are able to write clearly so others can understand what you are trying to say......Others may not know the details which were poorly explained by you. You are very confusing especially when you bring up past Oklahoma teams in regards to a thread currently about the drillers. It would have helped if you had just given more info. Sorry if I responded negatively to your comments concerning only one bus for transportation to the BOK arena for events.....Also to the idea that people wont pay for tickets because of the initial cost of the arena. Please explain again. How does paying for the arena via taxes relate/parallel with the locals paying to attend events?? Come on now...Thats crazy.

"illuminate may tax paying Tulsans"- Excuse me. Tulsans glow...Cool.

So you can shove your clue remark back into your silly, all white, portable cubicle and git back to work before your boss does the same.

Oh, Im sorry to bug you again but could you also please take your city employees with you....Not impressed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,882 posts, read 24,307,763 times
Reputation: 5362
There's plenty of parking in downtown Tulsa. Too much of it already in my opinion. How could any native Tulsan want to see such a beautiful downtown neglected? It's the pride of the city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 AM
 
17 posts, read 42,737 times
Reputation: 19
I know that this thread is pretty old, but I just wanted to say that moving the Drillers to 96th and Riverside is a great idea, especially if they make the area part of Tulsa. Also, I would like to point out that south Tulsa is the richest area in the city by far and that is what is attracting the developers. It isn't so much the town of Jenks, but the people who live right across the river in the Jenks School District that have all of the money in South Tulsa. Ever looked up the 74137 zip code. It is wealthiest in the state. The average person makes 3 times as much in 74137 as the average person does on average in the state! Developers go where the money is. End of story..... Tulsa has moved on. The southside is where it's at right now.

Sure I want to see downtown revitalized, but cities go in cycles. Tulsa isn't on the level of a Denver or a Memphis, where there has been revitalization in downtown due to growth. The city of Tulsa has actually LOST population over the last 5 years...... I think that maybe if we get some better, bigger businesses here, and if they have their base in downtown, then maybe we could start to see revitalization down there. Otherwise, remember that Jenks is closer to where half of the people in this town live than downtown is. It's NOT 15 miles from Tulsa. It is less than half a mile.
Example: From ORU it is 2.5 miles to the Tulsa Aquarium, wheras it is about 9 to downtown.
Example: From Woodland Hills Mall it is 6.5 miles to the Tulsa Aquarium, whereas it is 11 miles to downtown.
Example: From 51st and Riverside it is 4.5 miles to the Tulsa Aquarium, and it is 5 miles to downtown......
Plus, there is plenty of room for parking in Jenks and it is right by the Creek Turnpike and has easy access from Highway 75 and Riverside.......
People from places like Jenks, South Tulsa, Bixby, West Tulsa, Glenpool, and Sapulpa will find it MUCH EASIER to go to this new location than they did at 15th and Yale........
Sorry guys, this just makes sense.....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top