U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 PM

70 posts, read 369,524 times
Default Northside

Can someone clarify where the northside is on a map? Where does the Northside start (what street or blvd or ave or highway)? Is the International Airport on the Northside?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 01:10 PM

11,879 posts, read 24,751,770 times
My definition of the Northside would be Pine Street on the South (border), North Cincinatti on the West, and North Harvard on the East. And yes, the airport is on the north side, but I don't think it's in the middle of the areas that are considered kind of dangerous. Maybe though; I don't live there anymore so I would hope a Tulsa resident would chime in.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM

21 posts, read 68,736 times
North is anything north of Admiral Blvd. That's where addresses become "north". And yes, the airport is north.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 AM

25 posts, read 56,132 times
North Tulsa is " NOT " as bad as people say. The reputation of North Tulsa in the past has not been a good one granted, but truthfully you really need to do the math on your own. There are no crime free sides of Tulsa. To date, North Tulsa has come a long way, I could say that South Tulsa has a pretty good crime rate as well. Instead of listening to others, call the police department & ask about the crime rates. There are Neighborhood Associations, that would be able to guide you better, just contact The Mayors office, for neighborhoods, & ask for the list & contacts. And just for the record, I feel safer walking on the North side, than I did in Boston, San Francisco, or OKC.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 72,421 times
Livingintulsa is right, parts of North Tulsa are very nice. Especially around Pine and Peoria, there has been a lot of nice improvements there. Not surprisingly the most dangerous parts of North Tulsa tend to be around the projects. These include Pioneer Plaza (901 N Elgin Ave), Mohawk Manor (3637 N. Birmingham), Comanche Park (3608 N. Quaker), and Apache Manor (2402 N. Marion). Also the Morning Star Apts at 2201 N Hartford Ave is a pretty rough area.

I think we should keep in mind that North Tulsa was the premiere neighborhood back in the day. There are some beautiful mansions in North Tulsa left from the old oil tycoons. North Tulsa also has my favorite BBQ joint, Wilson's BBQ at 1522 E Apache St, their slogan is "you need no teeth to eat our beef." Awesome place!!!

North Tulsa has a lot of good neighborhoods. To be honest there were neighborhoods in West Tulsa that made me more nervous than North.

Peace,
Scaramedic
Former EMSA Paramedic

Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,368,547 times
I totally agree with LivingInTulsa. There are some nice areas of north Tulsa. I have friends who live there & I've always felt safe in their homes. I'm not familiar enough with the area to tell you where the worse neighborhoods are, so I would suggest that you check the crime maps.

A couple years back, I had to spend a couple of weeks doing some work at a library in north Tulsa. My mother (who lives in the outer suburbs) was so nervous about me being out there. But my father - a Tulsa police officer for over 30 years - just rolled his eyes & told Mom not to worry about it. He knew from personal experience that it isn't as bad tere as rumors might lead one to believe.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM

11,879 posts, read 24,751,770 times
I'm glad to hear of the improvements. My only memories were of when I lived there over 20 years ago, a LONG time ago indeed. I do remember the very nice homes though. Old, beautiful homes. I'm so glad to hear that Northside is coming back, I really am. Thank you livingintulsa and scaramedic for shedding some light on this.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 AM

25 posts, read 56,132 times
North Tulsa is slowly climbing out of the time whorp, its been stuck in for so many years. Growth is essential, especially in North Tulsa. Slowly we are over-coming the negative reputation, that has stunted the growth of North Tulsa. There are many who hope to commericialize North Tulsa, & are currently working on cleaning up the area, and trying to make it more eye appealing. It will take some time, as all things do that are worth having. Hey North Tulsa, " You've come a long way baby! "

Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,683 times
I was born in North side of Tulsa 85 years ago when it was a nice respectable area. I moved out of state after WW II and have not been back. North was considered every street north of Archer to Resevoir Hill and was named alphabetically i.e. Archer, Brady. cameron, etc;. Main street ran N to S and divided the original Tulsa. All streets East of Main were named alphabetically after eastern cities, i. e. Boston, Cincinnatic, Detroit, and streets west of Main were Cheyenne, Denver, Elwood, etc:.All streets south of Archer were numbered 1-120 . Simple and easy to locate. No hand drawn maps necessary on backs of envelopes, napkins or other scrap paper to locate an address.
Tulsa airport was considered East of Tulsa.
Does this help anyone?
Starida

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,557,531 times
I look white.

There are parts of North Tulsa I stay out of at night.

Problem areas are predominately north of Apache, east of the Osage County Line, south of Turley, and west of Lewis. If I had excess cash and plenty of time, that is exactly where I would invest. good deals on houses, and Tulsa is making a concerted effort to mainstream the area. Tulsa's bad neighborhoods are equal to most cities decent neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa