Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Okay, all you Tulsa TV fans and nostalgia buffs. Time once again to gather around the computer campfire because I've got a can to kick around. This one is a good one. I used to travel to my grandparents' home in Muskogee and I practically grew up watching (intermittently, of course) Tulsa television. When the news was on, I remember some familiar faces from the past. Maybe you remember Bob Hower (Channel 8) when he was one of 'The News Guys'. How about Don Woods (Channel 8) when he drew Gusty? Maybe you remember Lee and Lionel (Channel 6) and all of their shenanigans. How about Jack Morris (Channel 2) when he told viewers a joke to end his newscast? And there was also Uncle Zeb. And Cartoon Circus. And Coffee Break. And anyone remember Tulsa 23 with the cool logo?
Here it is: What are your favorite memories of Tulsa TV? The faces, the names, the fun. Maybe there's a thing you remember. Let's hear from you now on your experiences. Let 'er rip, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Wow, Case, what a walk down Memory Lane! I have only the vaguest memories of King Lionel the Lion, but I think I can still hear his sleepy voice.

My parents own an old dresser that still has an "8's the Place" sticker on the side. I wonder whatever happened to their old hot air balloon ...

I have lots of memories of Tulsa23. They used to play old episodes of Perry Mason every weekday at noon. That was my mother's favorite show, so after she picked me up from kindergarten, I would sit at the coffee table with a sandwich and watch it with her.

One of the on-air personalities for the Fox Kids Club ended up dating one of my high school friends. Kinda freaky!

I also watched my fair share of channel 41. They had some great old cartoons!

And although this isn't entirely connected to Tulsa TV, I just thought I should mention that some of my friends appeared in "UHF". The "Wheel of Fish" lady is still quite active in Tulsa's theatre community.

Here's a website you should enjoy, Case.
Tulsa TV Memories main page

Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Yep, I remember 8's the Place, Uncle Zeb, Gusty, and several others. I didn't grow up in Tulsa but we had just a few channels growing up (black and white too!), a couple from OkC, KTEN (ADA), and a couple from Tulsa (namely KTUL). That Tulsa TV memories page is really good. When I first saw this thread, I was going to post that but MrsSteel beat me to it!

I was living in Tulsa when UHF, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, Tex, and a couple of other movies were filmed. I LOVE UHF.

You get to drink from the FIREHOSE!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:24 AM

I've seen the 'Tulsa TV Memories' page and it is chock full of good stuff, and I do encourage all of you to check it out sometime. But I would like to hear from y'all, as well. And we have already. I know you guys have got something.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 AM

This isn't old, but in running through videos on the Tulsa TV memories page, I saw this rather funny video of some friendly folks hanging out in KTUL's parking lot..

Donkeys In The KTUL Parking Lot

Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 AM

http://billhaynes.com/images/i'mgusty.jpg (broken link)

http://okiedoke.com/pics/gusty.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-15-2007, 03:55 PM

There are some cool, short video clips on KTUL's web page. Go to "50 Years of KTUL" and check them out. They are fantastic!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Tulsa TV also had some commercials -- one that stands out in my mind happens to be Otasco. Remember them? They were preeminent in the 1970's.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
This isn't old, but in running through videos on the Tulsa TV memories page, I saw this rather funny video of some friendly folks hanging out in KTUL's parking lot..

Donkeys In The KTUL Parking Lot
That's a great clip, Synopsis. At least they weren't wandering on some freeway, or Bill Mitchell would be over the skies reporting it!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:32 AM

Come on, you guys. This can't possibly be all there is. I know there are Tulsa TV fans who remember the last 20 to 30 years. I know you guys are out there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa