Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,065 times

Advertisements

I realize NWArkansas is only 90 minutes from Tulsa but I am considering a job opportunity in Tulsa and was curious to see if anyone has made the move from NWA to Tulsa? From looking online it looks like the cost of living will be very similar between the areas but what about property taxes and insurance? I've heard OK car insurance can get expensive. It even looks like home prices are pretty close to one another (at least between Fayetteville, AR and Tulsa). We are in our 30s and are not planning on having children so schools are not a concern. Anyone that made the move regret it in anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I can't answer most of your questions. I do think you could transfer here and enjoy the area. This area of the state has a large number of transplants from Arkansas. Of the people I've met from Arkansas, I haven't heard many complaints about the area. Most people are happy to be here. The main difference we have noticed about this area is the difference in geography. When you hit the state line, you notice a physical difference in the size of the trees and height of the hills and there is a bit less in the outdoor parks and recreation. There are a lot of similarities too.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:55 PM

19 posts, read 36,441 times
I've lived in many states although not NWA, and I think you will enjoy the Tulsa area with it's abundance of amenities, home inventory, and cost. Below are some statistics:

Fayetteville, AR/ Tulsa ,OK/ Difference

Overall 86.1/ 89.9 / 4.5%/
Groceries 90.7/ 90.7/ same
Housing 75.8/ 69.5/ - 8.4
Utilities 89.6/ 98.3/ 9.7%/
Transportation 90.9/ 105.2/ 15.7%/

Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylcardano View Post
I've lived in many states although not NWA, and I think you will enjoy the Tulsa area with it's abundance of amenities, home inventory, and cost. Below are some statistics:

Fayetteville, AR/ Tulsa ,OK/ Difference

Overall 86.1/ 89.9 / 4.5%/
Groceries 90.7/ 90.7/ same
Housing 75.8/ 69.5/ - 8.4
Utilities 89.6/ 98.3/ 9.7%/
Transportation 90.9/ 105.2/ 15.7%/
What are these stats from?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is a source I use along with:

Moving.com: Compare Two Cities

Hope these help.

Last edited by linicx; 08-11-2012 at 02:27 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM

When I hit those again they changed from previous so they are just a reference

Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM

So we will eventually be making the move in the next few months. One thing we love about Fayetteville is the close proximity we are to the walking and biking trails. Are their any neighborhods with homes under $200,000 that are close to trails and parks?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM

95 posts, read 235,002 times
I just moved from Broken Arrow to Fayetteville and I find decent housing much cheaper here. Of course you could
find lots of areas that are cheaper in metro Tulsa. Just remember that the cost of the ballistic vest, helmets,
assault rifles and such should be factored into the equation. The bike trails in Fayetteville are fantastic. Tulsa has
nothing to compare to them except for River Parks. Just be sure to take a gas mask with you if the wind is blowing
out of the west (refineries and sewage). The bus system in Fayetteville is a lot better than Tulsa's. Of course Tulsa
is a much larger area to cover so you can count on buses coming by about every 45 minutes and then taking you
around a much larger loop. The entire trajectory will take an hour and a half versus 45 minutes. You should
definitely know which areas of the city to avoid because there are daily shoot outs, murders, assaults, robberies, etc.
on a scale unimaginable in Fayetteville. I would suggest Claremore (the burbs) and commute to work. They have
a nice lake with walking trails and also Rogers University has a nature center with a nice trail complex. Broken Arrow
also has some nice parks but nothing as charming as Wilson Park.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I lived in NEOK for a lot of years and spent a good deal of time in NWAR. Travel in NW AR from Pea Ridge to Hot Springs is through three mountain ranges: Ozark, Boston and Ouachita. There is no place in the Midwest/Midsouth that has anything like it. It is awesome. AR 5 out of Fayetteville to I-40 is breathtaking beautiful especially in the spring with the Dogwoods bloom.

OK License plate fees are bizarre. It is based on the FOB price on your vehicle the year it was manufactured. Antique vehicle tags (license plates) are dirt cheap. Not so on new cars; ouch!. To get new plates go to any OK Tag Office.

I like Tulsa very much. I don't like its tornadoes. Tulsa metro population is 1M or more, and it is is a beautiful green and tree city. It is called the art capital of OK by some. If I was going to buy property in Tulsa I would look at the area behind Utica Square on Utica and 21st. The other options are NW or SE -- because the OKie tornadoes form in the SW and more NE.

The one thing your will find different is the food, and you will find two malls and some nice shopping areas like Utica Square. .

Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Pharis View Post
I just moved from Broken Arrow to Fayetteville and I find decent housing much cheaper here. Of course you could
find lots of areas that are cheaper in metro Tulsa. Just remember that the cost of the ballistic vest, helmets,
assault rifles and such should be factored into the equation. The bike trails in Fayetteville are fantastic. Tulsa has
nothing to compare to them except for River Parks. Just be sure to take a gas mask with you if the wind is blowing
out of the west (refineries and sewage). The bus system in Fayetteville is a lot better than Tulsa's. Of course Tulsa
is a much larger area to cover so you can count on buses coming by about every 45 minutes and then taking you
around a much larger loop. The entire trajectory will take an hour and a half versus 45 minutes. You should
definitely know which areas of the city to avoid because there are daily shoot outs, murders, assaults, robberies, etc.
on a scale unimaginable in Fayetteville. I would suggest Claremore (the burbs) and commute to work. They have
a nice lake with walking trails and also Rogers University has a nature center with a nice trail complex. Broken Arrow
also has some nice parks but nothing as charming as Wilson Park.
Ummmm...exaggerate much?
Ballistic vest, helmets, assault rifles? Really? I've been to Tulsa numerous times and have never felt unsafe. I can't really take your post seriously after you state something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa