U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times

Advertisements

I知 26 and moving to Tulsa in Jan for 3 month. I知 born in Ethiopia but grow up in Sweden. In my family I知 the only adopted on. The last 7 years I lived in London. Now I知 going to work for my brother. He just moved from Sweden to Tulsa to study. I will be a nanny for my nephew. Living in London means a lot of different culture and people. I would like to know how Tulsa is as a city. How do you meet people if you alone and new? Is it a good divide between black and white people there? Consider my nephew is white and I知 black how will people react? Are they still narrow minded? Many questions now at once. Well tell me all about your city. It would be nice to have a bit of clue before I come over. I知 scared it痴 feel so far away from London and my friends.
/Aster-The new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,455,792 times
Hi Aster and welcome to the forum. I don't have many answers for you, BUT I can tell you that I don't think anyone will look twice because you're black and your nephew is white. Okies are pretty open-minded and accepting. You're VERY brave to move to a different country. I admire that.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,474,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aster View Post
I知 26 and moving to Tulsa in Jan for 3 month. I知 born in Ethiopia but grow up in Sweden. In my family I知 the only adopted on. The last 7 years I lived in London. Now I知 going to work for my brother. He just moved from Sweden to Tulsa to study. I will be a nanny for my nephew. Living in London means a lot of different culture and people. I would like to know how Tulsa is as a city. How do you meet people if you alone and new? Is it a good divide between black and white people there? Consider my nephew is white and I知 black how will people react? Are they still narrow minded? Many questions now at once. Well tell me all about your city. It would be nice to have a bit of clue before I come over. I知 scared it痴 feel so far away from London and my friends.
/Aster-The new one.
Hi Aster,
You should do just fine. Tulsa is a pretty open-minded place, although some people may disagree with that, as they would any other place. I wish you luck and hope that you make Tulsa your home and are very happy. I don't have alot of time right now, but if you'll search this forum there are alot of threads about what to see and do in Tulsa as well as the rest of Oklahoma. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 AM

3,160 posts, read 7,448,721 times
Don't worry, Aster, you will be fine in Tulsa. You have had such an interesting life I think people in Tulsa will want to hear all about it! People are really friendly here and may seem too friendly to you but don't let that bother you. I don't know how Tulsa compares with London as far as racism.

To meet new people you might try going to a church. If you don't like that, try to join a club about a subject that interests you. The clubs and their meetings are usually listed in the newspaper. Maybe you could take a night class? I don't know what you will be allowed to do with a visa. How old is your nephew? Take him somewhere that kids go and you can meet their parents or nannies. Good luck and come back and tell us what you are doing.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
Default Aster- I need an Amharic interpreter

Aster, i have an interprting company here in town and one of my clients needs an Amharic interpreter for an assignment. Please contact our office at 918 250-1189 and ask for Sebastian
thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,795,061 times
Default Hi Aster!!!

In Tulsa it isn't so bad.. The other rural areas can be kinda racist but still not as bad as other parts of the country. In Tulsa you will be fine.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM

288 posts, read 614,648 times
Hey, I'm a nanny, too! How old is your nephew? Any chance he's near five months??? ^_^

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 AM

6,146 posts, read 6,227,188 times
Default Hang out at the Universities and River Park and Brookside young man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aster View Post
I’m 26 and moving to Tulsa in Jan for 3 month. I’m born in Ethiopia but grow up in Sweden. In my family I’m the only adopted on. The last 7 years I lived in London. Now I’m going to work for my brother. He just moved from Sweden to Tulsa to study. I will be a nanny for my nephew. Living in London means a lot of different culture and people. I would like to know how Tulsa is as a city. How do you meet people if you alone and new? Is it a good divide between black and white people there? Consider my nephew is white and I’m black how will people react? Are they still narrow minded? Many questions now at once. Well tell me all about your city. It would be nice to have a bit of clue before I come over. I’m scared it’s feel so far away from London and my friends.
/Aster-The new one.
You won't have any problems with racism and bigotry in 2008 in the 60's 70's and 80's you may have had a problem with a few backward indiviuals , but that all water under the bridge , people are much more enlighten today in Tulsa.....I'm a Afro-American that lived there in 1954-1976 and 1988-1990 I currently live in the state of California , the northern San Francisco Bay Area.

There generally are a lot of African passing through Tulsa going to Spartan School Of Areonauitics , by way of London England , as a matter of fact i lived very briefly with some young men from Nigeria back in 1975 that were here or there in Tulsa for their's pilots training..O.K live life to the fullest In Tulsa Oklahoma..Howest2008

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 17,167 times
I wonder how Aster found Tulsa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa