U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,797 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could comment on how the hospitals are in each of the cities. Good, bad, slow, etc. I am really considering moving out that way and have read just about every thread in the Oklahoma forum. I have a general understanding of the two areas from all the threads, except for health care. How about the veterans hospital in OKC? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM

3,160 posts, read 7,404,220 times
I don't know much about the verterans hospital in OKC. My Dad went there, but it was a while ago. He didn't complain, but he didn't complain much about anything. Someone else can probably tell you more. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 PM

25,339 posts, read 11,472,109 times
People go there for the cheaper prescriptions. I have heard its like any other VA Hospital anywhere.
Don't want to knock the RN's who work there because most RN's are excellent anywhere you go, I think the complaint was there were not enough RN's, consequently they were being asked to do too much.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 9,923,190 times
Tulsa hospitals are, by and large, very good. We have several major hospitals. Southcrest, Hillcrest, St John's, St Francis, OSU (used to be the Osteopathic). In the region, there is also the Indian Hospitals in Claremore and Tahlequah, a VA hospital in Muskogee, and specialty hospitals in Tulsa such as Cancer Treatment Centers. Doesn't matter your illness, we have several options available for treatment.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,797 times
Thank you for your responses. It does seem like the shortage of RN's affects all VA's. I'll continue on with the research.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM

34 posts, read 80,693 times
Just saw this post.....but I can't resist. Even though it's an old question I have to comment. My cousin lives in NYC and uses the VA system there and thinks it's great. I could not even come close to using that term to describe the VA system here. Muskogee has a large facility but so far, can't decide what they do there. I've been a nurse in and around Tulsa for over 24 years. They don't do heart surgery or cardiac procedures or any type of orthopedic surgery there. (It's probably a good thing.) They send their really sick patients elsewhere and then fight like heck to make them return before they are ready. When the Tulsa hospitals won't send them back, they refuse to pay for the care provided. It's a joke as far as I am concerned. There is a clinic in Tulsa that is new and fairly large. They don't provide the most current and effective medications to the veterans and I think that is another issue that needs to be dealt with. Another thing about the VA system in Oklahoma. The hospital in Muskogee seems to be on devert a lot. They send their patients to Oklahoma City, to Ft. Smith, all over the place. The last thing anyone would need when they are seriously ill is a 100 mile ambulance ride. All I can say is this.......the whole system needs to be investigated and fixed. The wages for nurses are the best anywhere around but you have to consider where you are and what you have to contend with. Might be a real shocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa