U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM

529 posts, read 1,535,412 times

Advertisements

We have just returned from our second visit to Tulsa and really liked the Brookside, Yorktown, Lewiston Gardens and Florence Park areas. Other than Brookside and Yorktown being a little closer to restaurants and shopping is there any reason to not consider Lewiston Gardens and Florence Park. House prices seemed to be all over the place in the entire area. Are there any other Midtown areas to consider? We tried to get a little closer to the neighborhoods around the fairgrounds but with the fair going on we gave up because traffic was too much of a hassle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM

641 posts, read 927,184 times
Maple Ridge, Woodward Park/Philbrook and Terwilliger Heights are all excellent mid-town neighborhoods with older, valuable homes. Buy a house in any of these areas and hold on to it.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Maple Ridge, Woodward Park/Philbrook and Terwilliger Heights are all excellent mid-town neighborhoods with older, valuable homes. Buy a house in any of these areas and hold on to it.
Prices seem to be higher and out of my reach in those neighborhoods unfortunately.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,857,025 times
Renaissance Neighborhood is just north of Florence Park with the same style houses but more affordable. I live there and love it. Check it out.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM

I think we've narrowed our search down to two houses. One is in Florence Park, the other is in Brookside. The house in Brookside only has 1 bath and 1 car garage while the Florence Park house is 2 bath and 2 car garage. Both have 3 bedrooms and are both priced similarly. The Brookside neighborhood seems to be nicer with much more expensive surrounding homes. The problem is having just the 1 bath. The home could easily be expanded but that would most likely be years from now. Would the smaller Brookside home be a better way to go considering the expected growth and property value increase the area is supposedly going to get? Or is Florence Park just as likely to continue it's growth and value increase? Looking through crime data it looks like there is very little crime in the Brookside area and while Florence Park doesn't seem to be too bad there does seem to be a little bit more. We are really torn between the two houses. Is Brookside worth losing a bathroom and garage space for?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,963,305 times
In my opinion, no. According to my realtor friend, Midtown is still difficult to price. If you think you can get a deal, knock off how much it will cost to put in the second bathroom plus 20% for any contingencies that may arise from doing that work. If it has been on the market through the summer, they may take it as October and November are traditionally slower months. Garage space in Tulsa is a little less necessary than that 2nd bathroom.

Most family standards want at least a 2nd bathroom for those occupying the 2nd and 3rd bedroom. I think you will get stuck with the place with only 1 bathroom (value trap). The price should be more inline with the surrounding homes unless some former owner put in a bunch of granite or did a bunch of upgrades to reduce the insurance. You will have a higher insurance payment in Brookside due to it being in the flood zone unless that work is done. Florence Park is still a nice part of town and I don't see that changing.

I bought a home in midtown that was does not have a garage, but a huge drive through carport. I don't miss the garage yet but maybe I will this winter.

Good luck with your purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa