Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM

48 posts, read 117,955 times

Advertisements

Saturnine, that is such a lot of important and useful information. I wish we'd had some of that knowledge prior to our son moving to Tulsa, especially about the car breakins - yes, that was quite a shock to his and to us !!!

I actually got to see the gated apartment area that I had referred to, but it was near 71st & Riverside, so I don't believe it's yours. But you are so right about the gates not being foolproof. By the time it closes, there can be several cars coming through right behind the residents that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 PM

108 posts, read 305,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda3828 View Post
my Son Will Be Moving To Tulsa To Attend The Welding School In January. After Reading Lots Of Horror Stories About Various Apartments, I Am At A Loss To Figure Out An Affordable Area For Him To Stay. Can Any Of You Please Help Us?????? Like Everyone Else, We Need To Find A Clean, Safe, Affordable Apartment. Is There Such A Place In Tulsa Where A Mom Can House Her Son So She Can Sleep At Night? When We Visited The Welding School, We Were Told It Was Not In A Good Part Of Town (east 11th) And They Did Give Us A Map Showing 4 Apartment Complexes Several Blocks (miles?) Away. Unfortunately, I Haven't Read Anything Good About Those On Any Of The Blogs. Actually, I Have Read Some Very Bad Things.
Stay The Hell Away From Any Property Owned by Case & Associates

Old 06-07-2008, 11:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
Stay The Hell Away From Any Property Owned by Case & Associates
Wow, actually the first thing I agree with you on.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times
I know nothing about the company in question, but if LeftCoast hates it,
it might not s*ck that badly....

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 06-08-2008 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM

11 posts, read 20,124 times
Default Son also moving to Tulsa

I've been reading alot on these threads, I wish I would've checked them sooner. My son is also moving to Tulsa to attend TWS. He is planning on moving in 10 more days!! He begins classes in July. This is very hard for us moms, especially when my son is moving 400 miles away! We have secured housing and I'm hoping we made the right decision. The good thing is that my son will be rooming with two other boys from our hometown who are will be attending TWS at the same time. At least we aren't sending him out there not knowing anybody. i just wish the school would get his financial aid finalized. The last time I talked to them (last week) they were still working on June classes. They keep saying "don't worry" but we need to get his financial aid in order before he moves! We do have some other student loans in the process, but we keep having to re-fax info because they say they didn't receive it. I feel like this thread will at least keep me in touch with other parents who are in the same boat.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM

48 posts, read 117,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haletown View Post
I've been reading alot on these threads, I wish I would've checked them sooner. My son is also moving to Tulsa to attend TWS. He is planning on moving in 10 more days!! He begins classes in July. This is very hard for us moms, especially when my son is moving 400 miles away! We have secured housing and I'm hoping we made the right decision. The good thing is that my son will be rooming with two other boys from our hometown who are will be attending TWS at the same time. At least we aren't sending him out there not knowing anybody. i just wish the school would get his financial aid finalized. The last time I talked to them (last week) they were still working on June classes. They keep saying "don't worry" but we need to get his financial aid in order before he moves! We do have some other student loans in the process, but we keep having to re-fax info because they say they didn't receive it. I feel like this thread will at least keep me in touch with other parents who are in the same boat.
I found that I had to "keep in touch" a little too much in order to get the financial aid stuff straight. I was secure in the fact they were handling it, but when I decided to follow up, I found out that the girl we had dealt with was no longer employed, so we never got finalized. The 2nd girl seemed super attentive, so I once again relaxed. When it came time for the 2nd disbursement we were to receive which helps us pay our son's rent, etc, I once again got in touch, only to find out that girl also was no longer employed. The overage was disbursed to us, as scheduled, but I'm sure it would not have been had I not contacted them. The easiest way for me to handle things seemed to be through e-mail, so you might want to bug them that way.

I also must not have paid attention to details because we have to start paying back our financial aid loan starting the 1st of July and our son won't even be finished with school until mid August. Of course, we have 5 years to pay it off, but that would add interest in the amount of over $6,000 if we let it drag out that long !!

I recently learned from a Mom in our area that her 2 boys also attended TWS, so they had each other to depend on. I'm sure that will help your son to feel much more secure. Until our son found a couple of friends, it was pretty rough on him. The Mom did say that her sons' vehicles were broken into, just as it happens to everyone who moves to Tulsa. It's insane to me that is so common that people just seem to take it for granted. It's almost like an initiation !!!!!!! But it is such a horrible experience for the kids and their parents who usually live too far away to offer any assistance!

I also thought that the "recruiter" who signed our son up for TWS might be as genuine as he seemed. Said he lived north of Tulsa and would keep in touch in case our son needed anything. After classes started, he never contacted us again.

I've heard very little negative about TWS as a learning environment (though our son has informed us of an instructor or two that he didn't care for and that management isn't as helpful as they originally appeared), but I've heard very little good about living in Tulsa.

We are still counting down the weeks & days until he is free to come home or go work wherever he chooses !

Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 AM

Thanks, Linda! I talked to my sons recuiter last night and told him about our financial aid problems also, and I think he is going to make a call to the school. He said that it should get processed within the week. So far, the girl I keep talking to in the financial aid dept is still there. The private student loan that we have also been working on looks like it is FINALLY going to go through without having to re-fax antyhing, so I'm hoping that will be a good backup. I hate it though that the parents of one of the other boys going to TWS isn't having as much luck. Now they are planning on having to leave earlier, so they can go to the school and try to talk directly to the financial aid office. Boy, they really don't make it easy on the parents!! I'm am so stressed out! I have heard good things about the schools' program though, so at least that is helping me to keep a positive outlook. My son can't wait to get there. He is also eager to talk to the job placement.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
It sounds like this school needs to get its act together. How can they continually bring in students with such poor service and a high turnover rate?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 AM

The school does have a good reputation. I think they just get over loaded because they have new classes starting all the time. The master welder program is only 7 months long. TWS does have a very high job placement ratio. They have another location in Florida, and they are getting ready to open another school in Oregon (I think it's in Oregon)

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
Thank you so much for the info. I've actually heard ok things about Red River. Is it any safer to rent a house than the apartment complexes? There will actually be 3 of them rooming together and it's looking a little pricey for 3 bedroom apartments. Thanks, TMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa