Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times

Advertisements

I like Tulsa a great deal and wish I lived there again instead of OKC. I hope to get out of the OKC metro in another year or so.

There is a wide area of Tulsa that is quite nice and has wonderful neighborhoods, parks, business districts, things to do...leaving aside downtown in particular which is experiencing a revival, the entire town from Riverside Drive to Sheridan (East-West) and from 11th Street to 51st or thereabouts (North-South) is very liveable and runs the gamut from modest homes and apartments to pretty ritzy areas.

This is in contrast to OKC where you have one decent neighborhood surrounded by ghetto and boarded up homes and businesses, or ugly industrial parks, after another. As I spend more time actually living in OKC, I have found a lot more areas that I kind of like...parts of downtown, The Village, other little districts here and there, but it's such a patchwork. You have to go through miles of crap to get from one decent part to another. I drive all over this county daily for my job and I have discovered some neat little neighborhoods, but they'll go on for part of a mile, then you're back in the Dumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanista View Post
Tulsa's very diverse these days, I'm sure you'll find your fit there. I hardly recognize the city I grew up in, but there are still some above average holdovers: Two fine art museums, Gilcrease and Philbrook, and two legendary eateries, Ike's Chili on E Admiral and Coney Island downtown on W 4th.
Yeah, I really miss having a Coney I-Lander nearby.

Don't forget Ron's chili and burgers & Bill's Jumbo Burgers (so sinfully good but unhealthy).

I still miss Penningtons too!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 41,682 times
Agree with Howest. I think the purpose of Denver's post was to flame T-Town. Certainly not the place for a complainer like that. He should probably move to Alaska and get himself together thought wise.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM

12 posts, read 21,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, I really miss having a Coney I-Lander nearby.

Don't forget Ron's chili and burgers & Bill's Jumbo Burgers (so sinfully good but unhealthy).

I still miss Penningtons too!
For me, it's a Hank's Hamburger that will always reign supreme!
You're right, it is Coney I-Lander! When we visit family in Tulsa I gorge on them at least once! As a kid, we'd go to the one downtown. I can still remember the one-armed wooden desk seating, ceiling fans, and the 10-foot tall African American man that worked there.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM

11 posts, read 27,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fciman View Post
Agree with Howest. I think the purpose of Denver's post was to flame T-Town. Certainly not the place for a complainer like that. He should probably move to Alaska and get himself together thought wise.
Sorry, but you are kinda dumb. This was not a flame post... really? I was in Tulsa long before you, 1982, so please don't give me that crap. What is annoying is that Oklahoma government is still back in the 1960's. And public transportation in Tulsa is a bit of a joke, not even mentioning that there is literally no nightlife scene, sans 3.0 bars where if I had a nickel for every pound of beer gut, I would be rich!

I am sure, that if you are a holy roller, you most likely think that your in "Mecca" or something. That is because you are a holy roller and I know that progress scares people like you. Not once in my original post, did I attack the people of Tulsa, < I have friends there and people are friendly as hell. But your mentality that if you don't agree on something your like "oh, he is just flaming Tulsa", is ridiculous, or maybe your 8 years old. In which case, it is most likely past bedtime..

Because I agree with things and you do not, does not mean that you have to show your ignorance on a board like this where I am just trying to get the 411 on the city and what the deal was about the lack of progression, on a societal level. Move to Alaska.. really?

I could call a meeting of the city of Tulsa and 60-70 percent would be like "yeah, this guy has a point". For everyone else, thank you for your insight.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 PM

69 posts, read 128,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver80218 View Post
not even mentioning that there is literally no nightlife scene
Downtown has boomed with nightlife, especially in the blue dome district. I've been downtown a couple of times with my friends and a lot of places are PACKED like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa