Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Im planning on flying out to tulsa, ok in the next month.
Currently living in northern ireland, theres no jobs at all here all im 21 all people my age do is drink.
Need a clean break away from drink cant do it anymore.
My brother has been living in Tulsa area for the last few years and got married there so im moving out to him,
My plan is too go for a long holiday 4-5 weeks and while im there ask around/check the web and try and get a job. If i get a job id stay in OK if not id fly back.

I would mainly be looking for construction, labouring, farming type jobs anything manual.
Wouldnt be too keen on customer service/ office jobs dont agree with me.

Would if be hard to find a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 PM

69 posts, read 128,340 times
If you're looking for a construction type of job, you might be in luck. There is so much construction going on all around the city (including a couple on two major highways) and I bet they're hiring too. Just contact the city of Tulsa when you get here. If that doesn't work out, I think a temp agency might be able to help you.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
Just don't take no for an answer. There are definitely jobs around here. Why not go to Tulsa Welding School and then have a high paying job in a few months? Or go to truck driving school and be working right away?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
What you can or cannot do may be related to your Visa. Construction is seasonal. Welding and driving a big rig is not. In most states semi drivers go to school for several weeks to get a CDL license. Then is it two years of team driving before you get your own rig in most states. Your truck is your best frield and home away from home except for vacations. There is a lot of record keeping and rules that must be followed. But you can see a lot of the USA. Welding is often commerical and local, but if you are really good at it, you can travel. It is a hot, dirty job.

You can also go to school for construction, pipe fitter, barber, hair-stylist. And you can go to college and earn a degree in any number of skillsets. At your age you have a wide range of choices.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
You should probably check with the US embassy before you set out on this endeavor. Without a work visa it will be hard to find work, and if you did you would be considered an illegal immigrant. You can look into the links below. I'm not sure what the federal laws are regarding getting a visa after arrival, but I know many countries won't let you do that. I lived overseas and had a visa issue, and had to fly to another country to get a new one. Your brother may be able to sponsor you, depending on his immigration status. However, companies are hesitant to take on H-1B visas because of the expense and the uncertainty with their investment in that worker.

Temporary Workers
Immigrants to the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: