Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I completely agree. Although I still think Tulsa needs to continue develoing and beautifying the entire downtown area to compliment it. On another forum people (mostly from Seattle) were pissed that Tulsa was getting this. They said another, bigger city deserved something like our arena, they were stunned that we were getting something this well, "iconic".
Only reason the Seattleites were mad is because we're from Oklahoma. They have it out for us now that Clay Bennett is moving the Supersonics from Seattle to OKC. And that's because Seattle won't replace Key Arena.

A little arena envy maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM

111 posts, read 331,643 times
BigOkie, did you get any good pictures last weekend? Any posted?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New In Prue View Post
BigOkie, did you get any good pictures last weekend? Any posted?
Nope, it was dreary enough and I felt under the weather enough that I didn't make the trip. I intend on it this Sat or Sun though, given that the weather isn't too bad.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 PM

266 posts, read 971,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Only reason the Seattleites were mad is because we're from Oklahoma. They have it out for us now that Clay Bennett is moving the Supersonics from Seattle to OKC. And that's because Seattle won't replace Key Arena.

A little arena envy maybe?
That's exactly what I think. Boy do they make me angry, I have to put up with them on ESPN all the time.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Default New pictures as of 04/05

These include some downtown photos as well. Also, I found another garage to get a good vantage point. Enjoy.

Downtown Tulsa 04/05/2008 - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oilerfan/sets/72157604400764463/ - broken link)

Old 04-05-2008, 03:41 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
These include some downtown photos as well. Also, I found another garage to get a good vantage point. Enjoy.

Downtown Tulsa 04/05/2008 - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oilerfan/sets/72157604400764463/ - broken link)
I was out there taking pictures too, I don't see myself though.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Excellent pictures. Question. Why does the stainless steel look so unfinished or kind of puffy looking? To use BigOkie's pics to compare... It almost doesn't look like steel, but silver painted cardboard in the second picture; you can still see the substructure underneath.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,455 times
Not sure about the look but the lines you're seeing don't following the lines of the underneath structure, they follow the lines of the steel tiles.

I think some sort of pattern is inevitable and that is probably why they show them installing the added ridges running around the ribbon windows to break it up.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrizzle View Post
Not sure about the look but the lines you're seeing don't following the lines of the underneath structure, they follow the lines of the steel tiles.

I think some sort of pattern is inevitable and that is probably why they show them installing the added ridges running around the ribbon windows to break it up.
I think sgriz is right...if you look at my real rez picture at about 2200x1700, you can see it follows the tile seams.

Since this is a conical building, the fit isn't going to be perfect, especially since these panels are stainless steel with not a lot of flex in them. I believe him as well when he says the ribbon windows will get those ridges and break the facade up a little. When you're up close and personal to the building, you don't see it. But I bet some of that will settle in with time. Keep in mind this building is in it's absolute infancy.

Expect monthly updates from this point forward. First weekend of May I should have another set. UNLESS by some freak chance I can get a tour in either with the Oilers or another means. I probably got in two miles of walking today (good for me).

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Thanks folks. I really appreciate your updates and input. This is a phenomenal building. I can't wait to see it open. It's going to be an experience to remember. A structure worthy of Tulsa's awesome architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa